Main Menu

Prog 2092 - The Death of Death?

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 July, 2018, 08:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

I don't really get where this alternative deadworld stuff is coming from - I've always considered it to be "our" deadworld and haven't seen anything to contradict that, besides a few minor nit-picks that would not have even registered if they hadn't been pointed out. Should add that I'm LOVING this story!

James Stacey

Probably because the original Dreams of Deadworld stories were billed as an alternate take on the dark judges, with an alternative look, which has carried over into the current Deadworld.

gameluvah

Quote from: Frank on 01 August, 2018, 12:11:28 PM
Quote from: gameluvah on 01 August, 2018, 11:41:48 AM
I'm starting to think this might be an alternate universe to the Dark Judges we all ready know about. Like an alternate to the alternate.

Tharg's PA objected to the suggestion that Dreams Of Deadworld * existed outside established Dredd continuity.

I suppose he or the creators can change their mind about that any time they want. Perhaps the main series is a different proposition, or maybe The Mighty Plus-One was just making the point that nothing they'd published at that point contradicted the established facts of the fictional world.

Red Razors spetsnaz squad, eh?  Once again, Mr Millar, what was briefly yours is now mine.

* Four issue precursor to Tainted, Cursed & Damned

Ah, I was unaware of this. Thanks for the heads up.

Trout

Top prog, especially Mechastopheles and Deadworld. Great horror strips!

norton canes

Cover: Nice work, but would have preferred something by Dave Kendall.

Dredd: Not quite sure why cits thought being mauled by a huge spider would give them superhuman abilities (yes I get the Spiderman joke) but that aside I'm enjoying the story and like the fact it has a few episodes to build. The profile shot of the gangster with the shark swimming behind him was great.

The Order: Maybe not quite as good as previous books - yet - but a fantastic read all the same.

Grey Area: A really warm come-down from events of the previous two-parter. Special kudos to Mark Harrison here - it's one thing making an action-packed episode featuring enormous alien creatures visually arresting but another, and arguably harder, to do the same with a dialogue-heavy installment like this. I particularly like the range of expressions shown by the officer talking to Bulliet in the bar (forget her name sorry), they really do suggest she's slightly cracking up. Top stuff.

Mechastopheles: Loved the 3riller, loving this already. Obviously a bit of backstory for newcomers but I'm sure from next week it'll be underway in earnest.

Damned: Hmmm... not sure it really needs the Sov involvement; yes, there's a rationale for them taking advantage of the situation but the series has been working perfectly well so far without needing to take a world view. Oh well, we'll see how it goes!

Magnetica

Quote from: norton canes on 02 August, 2018, 11:39:17 AM
Dredd: Not quite sure why cits thought being mauled by a huge spider would give them superhuman abilities (yes I get the Spiderman joke)

Pretty sure the joke was it.

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 02 August, 2018, 12:35:33 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 02 August, 2018, 11:39:17 AM
Dredd: Not quite sure why cits thought being mauled by a huge spider would give them superhuman abilities (yes I get the Spiderman joke)

Pretty sure the joke was it.

Yep - same as the radiation reference...

TordelBack

Odd sort of Prog.

On the cover Langley gives good original Death, even if he isn't in the prog..

Dredd was lovely and dense. I like the gang-based storyline, and I love the art.  Designwise the Eagle is a bit extreme and the Lawmasters ungainly, but I love the Higgins-y helmets and the carbine version of the Lawgiver: the spider was fantastic, as was the concept, and the cyborgs-in-a-shark-tank certainly elevated a poentially dull meeting-room scene!  All in all its spicy stuff.

The Order: I consider myself one of The Order's biggest fans, but this week felt a bit over-egged with so many elements given very little room, and it looked like Burns was feeling the strain in places.  Need to catch our breath a bit, maybe?

Mecahstopheles: Didn't really care for the 3Riller, can't seem to engage with this episode either.  I'll give it a while, though.

Grey Area: A quieter episode anchoring a prog that's flying off in all directions with some just plain solid writing and art.  Still hoping Kymn and Bitch have been sent off somewhere, though.  It's not just a river in Egypt, you know!  Pick of the litter this week.

Deadworld: so much great stuff happening, so many possibilities, and then...end of the current run?!?  Awwwghh!  Does the Sov invasion plan suggests an Apocalypse Warp, I wonder?  And with that, dimension jumping, which seems incongruous given that the Boys stole it from a visiting alien...  unless the Sov tech is how the Sisters got there in the first place. Maybe I see an end-game here though, Jess & Fairfax could 'win' by preventing the DJs escaping this world (for now), giving us a happy ending of sorts, while still condemning Deadworld itself.  Getting ahead of myself.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 August, 2018, 11:18:42 AM
Still hoping Kymn and Bitch have been sent off somewhere, though.  It's not just a river in Egypt, you know!  Pick of the litter this week.
:-)

Richard

I don't want Deadworld to have a happy ending. We already know they're all fucked, let's embrace it.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

An odd prog for me, especially as I'm coming to it later than usual, due to an apparent calamity at my local newsie resulting in it being shut til early September, and having to track the comic down elsewhere.

Anything with a Clint Langley cover is good by me, and this one rocked, hard.

Dredd was stonking. Love the art, love the procedural nature of the story. One of the better Dress this year- a year which I've felt sadly lacking decent Mega-City strips.

Grey Area was the highlight of the prog- and my possible favourite single episode of anything this year so far. I'm heavily invested in this strip, and this just added several layers of enjoyment.

Mechastophiles- didn't get on with the Norwichmass original at all, but this was a delight. Monsters with a city on their back is such a bloody fantastic, 2000AD, idea that it gave me a jolt of thrillpower I've not had for a while. Gorgeous art, too.

Sadly, neither The Order nor Damned float my boat in any way whatsoever, and I can literally go from panel to panel not following, not knowing who the characters are, and not caring. I'm glad they have their audience- as people obviously like them a lot- but, no, not for me I'm afraid.

3 out of 5, but the three I liked I bloody loved, and despite not being a fan of the other two, I certainly don't resent their presence.

SBT