Main Menu

Patrick Stewart back as Picard in new series

Started by Greg M., 05 August, 2018, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 25 January, 2020, 09:03:08 AM
.... Plus she finds bald men hot.

I would strongly recommend against bringing her to any tooth / forum related events ...

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Tjm86 on 26 January, 2020, 01:03:34 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 25 January, 2020, 09:03:08 AM
.... Plus she finds bald men hot.

I would strongly recommend against bringing her to any tooth / forum related events ...

Too late! Much too late...

Professor Bear

Rich and Mike at Red Letter Media review the first episode of Star Trek: Memberberries Picard and while they didn't hate it, they do make fun of how stupid it is and eventually swap abominable ideas about how it's going to end and come up with a doozy so bad that I'm convinced it's definitely going to happen.

NapalmKev

I thought the first episode was pretty good. Episode 2 is even better!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Greg M.

Second episode succumbs to the curse of modern tv - way too slow. Not a patch on episode one - very little accomplished that a good episode of Next Gen couldn't have done in fifteen minutes. Nice to get confirmation that [spoiler]Geordi [/spoiler]is still alive though, after CBR had been predicting his demise. Stewart, of course, as watchable as ever.

Tiplodocus

I enjoyed it but yeah, it was a bit slow and full of basil.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IndigoPrime

Yikes. I thought the first episode was sluggish, exposition-heavy, and largely devoid of plot (Mrs IP added: "Where's the rest of it?"), so I'm... not overly looking forward to this.

Gary James

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 01 February, 2020, 01:16:45 PM
I enjoyed it but yeah, it was a bit slow and full of basil.

Basil?

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 February, 2020, 01:20:35 PM
...sluggish, exposition-heavy, and largely devoid of plot...

So it resembles most of Voyager, and the entire first season of Enterprise... isn't maintaining continuity and style a boon for the franchise?

While I haven't seen it yet, the prospect of the series following in Discovery's wake to any degree is a slight worry. I honestly would rather have had Tarantino's film pitch move forward instead of this.

And when Riker and Troi appear - as they undoubtedly will - I may vomit a little at the memory of the final episode of Enterprise.

TordelBack

No argument that it's a bit slow, but that just gives the family more time to recognise and argue about continuity references and future directions. So far it's playing a blinder.

Main negatives are that Number 1 isn't in it enough, and if they say 'Bruce Maddox' one more time I may scream...

Steve Green

Part of me wanted those parasites from Conspiracy to have their day in the sun...

CalHab

Quote from: Steve Green on 03 February, 2020, 09:48:00 AM
Part of me wanted those parasites from Conspiracy to have their day in the sun...

For a moment, I thought that might be where they were going.

Steve Green

Yeah, I did wonder, but it might be considered as letting Starfleet off the hook, and a one-off from season 1 might be a bit niche to string a series around.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Steve Green on 03 February, 2020, 10:58:30 AM
Yeah, I did wonder, but it might be considered as letting Starfleet off the hook, and a one-off from season 1 might be a bit niche to string a series around.

A truly awful episode, no less! Although I'll dispute that it's one-off, since Remmick's investigation dates back a few weeks to 'Coming of Age', even if the link is ex post facto.

But on the whole no more nichey than basing the whole show's premise around an atrocious movie that no-one saw, and another movie that rebooted the whole franchise out of existence.

wedgeski

Let's be honest, I'm about as point-blank in the targets of this show as it is possible to be, but even accounting for my resulting lack of credibility, I have to say that although I loved the first one despite its problems, I found very little to criticise about episode 2.

Now we're squarely in "man with a mission" and "how dare they treat Jean-Luc fucking Picard like that!" territory, it's just grooving along so sweetly, and we've barely touched upon the guest stars and other notalgia bombs that the show has in the chamber and ready to fire. The "Search for Spock" callback when Picard went to see the CNC hit me right in the tribbles, let me tell you.

I must also say I'm amused by the definition of "slow" these days.