Main Menu

Londons Falling -

Started by DavidXBrunt, 23 June, 2006, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Smith

I'm sure glad i don't live in London!!! :o

Tanky

Satanist: It's not bad, but not as good as the novel. I'm liking the artwork. It's very similar to London Falling in a lot of ways. A Lot. I have a couple of 2kad issues to catch up with, but so far, I'm thinking it's closer to being the Brit version of American Gods.

Keef Monkey

"Spur: How do you go about writing/researching a story like this?"

I'd be interested to know too. Was wondering if you'd decided to do a story featuring mythological ties and legends and then researched to find material for it, or is it something you've read into a lot anyway and so decided to do a story around them? It's a chicken/egg kind of question.

Oh, and while I don't listen to them, my brother tells me  The Darkness have a song called "Black Shuck" which is apparently related to the same legends.

Bolt-01

The opening track on the Darkness' first album. Not a bad tune.

Black Shuck, Black Shuck;
That dog don't give a F###!

Not the best lyrics though

Bolt-01

Tanky

Bolt - That's been stuck in my head since I started reading this thead!
Damn you Hawkins!

Funt Solo

Thanks all - really interesting mythology that I'd never really encountered - apart from one of the monsters in D&D was an Annis.

---

[Rolls dice and fails to succeed on the Long Post chart.]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

House of Usher

Heh!! a "mujina" can be found in the bestiary section of the Companion rules (third edition, naturally). I do remember there being a witch-like monster in Dungeons & Dragons called an Annis, but it's been a very long time!

I think the first I'd heard of "Black Annis" was in Doom Patrol, where she was one of Crazy Jane's alter-egos. Great character, was Crazy Jane.
STRIKE !!!

Natsan

I'm hoping for an appearance of the Nuckelavee!

Dark Jimbo

That would indeed be very cool - as long as it's not like that weird one that appeared in Slaine. As I've said before, an appearance by Boneless or Herne the Hunter would be good, too. And maybe a Spriggan.
@jamesfeistdraws

DavidXBrunt

I'm reading the novel of Neverwhere at the moment (75p in Asda) and there's very little crossover in terms of characters or even referencing. Neverwhere is more rooted in the myths of the geography of London more than anything from Londons Falling.

BMB

Please pardon my total ignorance on this subject, but was that Irish horror movie from the 70's called "Rawhead Rex" slightly related to the much older mythology? Or just similar names by coincidence? By the way, we Aussies ( the past 200 years worth, as in) have a mythological beastie......its called a Bunyip, not the most fear inducing title I'll admit.

The Amstor Computer

That movie was, IIRC, based on Clive Barker's short story, but I'm not sure whether he took any inspiration from the legend. Quite possible, though.

Dog Deever

There was a novel I read once (i think it might have been called 'Hobgoblin') which had the Black Annis in it.
Green Jenny was in a Hellboy story, wasn't she? That's goin tae piss me off till I look it up now...

Heh! Heh! Just sussed out bold, italic and underline!
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

DavidXBrunt

Yes, she was. It's named in her Wikipedia entry (though I ommited it from the post specifically to annoy you. Bwah hah hah!)

Dog Deever

grrr...foam...froth!!!
}@
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.