Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2020

Started by Dash Decent, 27 June, 2019, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rs_jr

Does Rebellion have the right for Don Lawrence Carl the viking ?

How has the rights for english publications for his Storm series?

Thanks

Lorenzo

Didn't know where to put this, it may also be old news:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-shropshire-49277449
This article from the Beeb talks about Charlie Adlard (Walking Dead fame) teaming up with Robbie Morrison (Nikolai Dante) to write a story "Provisionally titled Heretic, it will feature Cornelius Agrippa, a real-life character from the Spanish Inquisition era in a fictional, supernatural setting." Sounds like something 2000AD would run but I'm not sure.

Frank

Charlie Adlard is permanently out of Tharg's price range. He definitely doesn't need to sell all rights to get his stuff published - he's probably interested in working with French publishers* for the reasons Pat Mills has outlined.

* Plus, he doesn't seem interested in superheroes.

Lorenzo

Oh well. It sounded kinda interesting. The fact that he is working with Robbie Morrison got me a bit excited that it may be a Tharg type thing. I'll just have to wait and see where it pops up.

Frank

Quote from: Lorenzo on 14 August, 2019, 05:39:59 PM
Oh well. It sounded kinda interesting. The fact that he is working with Robbie Morrison got me a bit excited that it may be a Tharg type thing. I'll just have to wait and see where it pops up.

Thanks for posting it, mate. For whatever reason, Morrison hasn't worked for Tharg for 6 years.

Greg M.

Quote from: Frank on 14 August, 2019, 05:45:17 PM
For whatever reason, Morrison hasn't worked for Tharg for 6 years.

Not on a regular basis, true, but he was at least in the 40th Anniversary Prog in 2017.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

I, Cosh

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 18 September, 2019, 08:29:11 AM
That's a really nice Ad.
It's the poster we got free in the Prog wasn't it?

Edit: I'm not saying it's not nice, by the way!
We never really die.

MumboJimbo

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 18 September, 2019, 08:29:11 AM
That's a really nice Ad.

I agree. It's a bit weird though that the GN cover and spine don't state "Book 1" anywhere. I'm pretty sure from the page count and creator credits we're only getting the first book out of three (or was it four?) in this book.

Frank

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 18 September, 2019, 12:33:34 PM
It's a bit weird though that the GN cover and spine don't state "Book 1" anywhere. I'm pretty sure from the page count and creator credits we're only getting the first book out of three (or was it four?) in this book.

Presumably, like every other book, whether we get another volume depends on sales of this one.

We're gagging for this, but half the readership hate Pat Mills's politicking* and associate Crisis with the end of their personal Golden Age.

* Because the ideological bias in Nemesis, Slaine and Charley's War was subtle?

Richard

The later books of TWW were not as good, so the plan might just be to do book 1, which is a self-contained story with an actual ending.

RaggedMan

That would be a shame, the return to the UK and it's deep dive into racism, Ireland, the Amazon-like working conditions are in no way subtle but there's a lot of good stuff in there. The Hickleton art on Chief Inspector Ryan surpasses anything he did on Torquemada. I think TWW starts to lose itself as Eve becomes sidelined out of the story to concentrate on Lyatt and Finn and only turns up occasionally for a lecture - like Danu in Slaine. There's probably something interesting in looking at the bleed between Mills 2000ad work and Crisis and Diceman.
Anyway, I was 14/15 when this came out and ripe for some blatant lefty propaganda comics. I bloody loved Crisis.

TordelBack

Yeah, I was going to say I actually preferred the Eve/BADS/Ryan era to the earlier material. I didn't think I ever got as far as the later Finn stuff, though. For some reason I thought this was going to be a single volume omnibus, but I suppose I can live with multiple collections if they happen.

I will confess to finding Crisis hugely educational- subjects like Haile Salassi and the Mau Mau were only vaguely familiar before Pat tuned me in.

MumboJimbo

Quote from: Frank on 18 September, 2019, 07:28:30 PM

Presumably, like every other book, whether we get another volume depends on sales of this one.

We're gagging for this, but half the readership hate Pat Mills's politicking* and associate Crisis with the end of their personal Golden Age.

Somebody actually asked the Treasury of British Comics twitter account today whether they'd do the rest of it, and as you guessed the answer was that it depends on the sale of the first one. That's a backtrack from when it was originally announced, as they did say it would be complete. Oh well. I don't blame them at all, they're a business and this is the first Crisis reprint (I think) so I guess it will be hard to predict sales.

All we can do it is buy the first one and hope for the best!