Main Menu

new 2000ad RPG to funded via Kickstarter

Started by rogue69, 31 August, 2018, 06:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

There's a new RPG being released/funded via Kickstarter The Judge Dredd & The Worlds of 2000 AD being launched on Tuesday September 25th.
they don't have much detail on their website at the moment but I'm sure there will be more info soon.
https://www.worldsof2000adrpg.com

TordelBack

Hmmm, more Kickstarter.  After the four (or was it five?) years it took to more-or-less complete fulfilment of the Mongoose Dredd Miniatures game campaign (and I still never received an actual Joe Dredd mini!), I'd have thought Rebellion might be a bit wary of handing their IP to another company that needed crowdfunding to bring it to market.

Given that WOIN is an established (and suitable) system that already exists, and the Dredd source material likewise, I suppose I should be more confident about the outcome.  But still, pledging again...  ::)

sheridan

I take it you saw the official Rebellion announcement last year?

sheridan

p.s. haven't found the original thread about the new game, but this post I made refers to it to.

wedgeski

I've been a member of the community of which ENPublishing is an arm for many years, and those guys will put a lot of time and passion into this. I doubt I'll play this one, because I do not need yet another RPG system in my life, but I'm sure it'll be good.

It bums me out that they weren't able to fulfil this without a Kickstarter, but the market for a Dredd RPG must be tiny, let alone the lesser-known IP's. My roleplaying circle is probably two-dozen people and no-one except me reads the comic.

Sad story: in school many years ago, I bribed some of my friends with chocolate to let me run the Games Workshop Dredd RPG for a couple of sessions when all they wanted to do was play D&D. They hated it. <voiceover> It was then I realised... </voiceover>

TordelBack

Quote from: wedgeski on 31 August, 2018, 11:04:22 PM
I've been a member of the community of which ENPublishing is an arm for many years, and those guys will put a lot of time and passion into this. I doubt I'll play this one, because I do not need yet another RPG system in my life, but I'm sure it'll be good.

They always seem a good gang, and WOIN seems a solid system (I've only read it, never played anything with it, but it seems more than suitable for Tooth), but I can't help feeling the whole thing is desperately ambitious. I mean, Luna-1 as their second Dredd supplement release, when they plan to cover so many other 2000AD properties, but have to crowdfund the core book?  I think I've read the whole of Luna-1 exactly twice in the last 35 years, perfectly crafted jewel of 'The Oxygen Board' aside it doesn't really stand up. Wouldn't a more general off-world 'Dredd in Space' sourcebook be more marketable?  Lesser Lingo, AB, Necross, K-Alpha 61, 43 Rega, Titan/Enceladus, the Lawlords etc etc.  I mean, I'd buy it!  But Luna-1 on its own? Meh.

Don't mean to crap on a new venture I've been eagerly anticipating, and planning on buying into, but it is a concern.

The Adventurer

I guess I need to do some research on the  WOIN engine. I love RPGs, and just having Source Books for Judge Dredd will be awesome. Even though I'd rather run it in FATE, or GURPS.

This appears to be their WOIN (What's O.L.D is N.E.W.) line of products. for those curious, the N.E.W. RPG looks like their generic Sci-fi system. So will probably be the base of the new JD RPG.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

Almost ALL new RPG products are crowd funded these days. The market is just too niche to pour money into anything but the most guaranteed of sales (D&D, Pathfinder). Even big name brands like World of Darkness needs to resort to crowdfunding. Its just the business right now.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Robin Low

Quote from: The Adventurer on 01 September, 2018, 05:56:35 AM
Almost ALL new RPG products are crowd funded these days. The market is just too niche to pour money into anything but the most guaranteed of sales (D&D, Pathfinder). Even big name brands like World of Darkness needs to resort to crowdfunding. Its just the business right now.

Yeah, these days most of the RPG stuff I buy is either through a Kickstarter or after a Kickstarter is delivered (often the latter now, since cost of delivery is silly). There's a lot of print-on-demand too.

Doesn't surprise me that it took Mongoose 4/5 years to deliver - there's not a lot to recommend it as a producer of RPGs. The content is often weak and they've messed up on ambitious projects before (the Lone Wolf gamebook reprints, for example). The current Traveller line seems to be doing okay, but based on my previous experience and the cost of the books I'm not risking it.

The problem with RPGs is that once you've got the idea you don't need a rulebook or a setting book. I went to the annual get-together of my university gaming group earlier in August and played in a Flash Gordon parody and we used 2D6, a few numbers scribbled on a piece of paper and some common sense. The GM had half a page of setting for us and a handful of notes for himself. Half a day of action, adventure and laughter. And a 26 foot tall octo-ape. And it cost pennies and daydreams to create.

Regards,

Robin

Suede1971

What happened to the judge dredd miniatures game? always wanted to pick up some of the models

TordelBack

Quietly taken out behind the chem pits and a quick SE in the head by Warlord, not long after they bought it from Mongoose.  It wasn't a bad game at all,  and clusterfuck KS fulfilment aside I was pretty happy with the minis I got - the Sovs, Angels and Cultists are fab,  and some of the World Judges and ABC Warriors were great. Ironically it was the MC-1 Judges that were weakest.    I have some unopened boxes of rather good Fatties and Skysurfers if you wanted to make me an offer!

As to the current WOIN RPG Kickstarter, my fears have been calmed by a reads of the preview pages.  Tone seems spot-on, buckets of flavourful detail and the genius idea of printing crimes and sentencing guidelines on the players' side of the GM's screen.  I see myself dusting off my old GW Dredd campaign for this new system!

Suede1971

Very annoying, i just wanted the models more then anything

TordelBack

Dont fret too much, I'd imagine Warlord will have another JD skirmish game out within the next 24 months, and they may well reuse some of the better sculpts. In the meantime spend your groats on their excellent Strontium Dog range.

von Boom

Link to Kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/enworld/judge-dredd-and-the-worlds-of-2000-ad-roleplaying

I may fund it, but I'm waiting until they confirm the Naughty Photos of TordelBack stretch goal.

sheridan

It took 9 minutes to fund, so I'm guessing the printing presses are busy now!