Main Menu

new 2000ad RPG to funded via Kickstarter

Started by rogue69, 31 August, 2018, 06:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: von Boom on 25 September, 2018, 09:45:09 PM
I may fund it, but I'm waiting until they confirm the Naughty Photos of TordelBack stretch goal.

You have only to ask.

Well,  all doubts out the window - that is one highly polished campaign, and aside from a judge who collects antiques (How?  Where?) everything presented seems spot-on so far. I still have to find the creds somehow (about those photos,  von Boom...), but the chance to use my old GW adventures and floor plans with my Mongoose minis and a solid modern d6 ruleset under a stylish black Carlos hardcover... WAY too much to pass up.

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 September, 2018, 10:25:51 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 25 September, 2018, 09:45:09 PM
I may fund it, but I'm waiting until they confirm the Naughty Photos of TordelBack stretch goal.

You have only to ask.

Well,  all doubts out the window - that is one highly polished campaign, and aside from a judge who collects antiques (How?  Where?) everything presented seems spot-on so far. I still have to find the creds somehow (about those photos,  von Boom...), but the chance to use my old GW adventures and floor plans with my Mongoose minis and a solid modern d6 ruleset under a stylish black Carlos hardcover... WAY too much to pass up.
Don't worry about the photos. Sharky hooked me up. :)

I'm going to go for the Chief Judge level if I can. I'm a sucker for a nice GM screen.

Bolt-01

Wow, fantastic to see this so well supported.

The Adventurer

Wow, blasted through that funding goal in record time. Congrats.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

sheridan

EN Publishing have just announced the next four planned releases for Judge Dredd and the Worlds of 2000AD.

• Luna-1
  • The Cursed Earth.
  • Rogue Trooper (playing GIs, Southers or Norts)
  • Strontium Dog

TordelBack

Jovis, my poor wallet  :o.

Great stuff, and loving the placeholder name "Anne Orther". I think the idea of covering the Corps and Titan (and Enceladus?  Mars?  Hestia?) in the Luna-1 supplement is a great one,  and hopefully shows the shape this range is going to take, not restricting itself to the epics themselves but expanding on their elements and settings.

Hope Mongoose and Warlord have some arrangement regarding the so-so RT kickstarted minis that seem to be still dribbling out.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 October, 2018, 03:58:04 PM
Jovis, my poor wallet  :o.

Great stuff, and loving the placeholder name "Anne Orther". I think the idea of covering the Corps and Titan (and Enceladus?  Mars?  Hestia?) in the Luna-1 supplement is a great one,  and hopefully shows the shape this range is going to take, not restricting itself to the epics themselves but expanding on their elements and settings.

Hope Mongoose and Warlord have some arrangement regarding the so-so RT kickstarted minis that seem to be still dribbling out.

I meant to ask if anybody has seen that King Carlos picture before - disclaimer said they were placeholder covers, so I'm guessing it's been used on a collection before?

As for the content - strange to call it Luna-1 when it could potentially cover any Dreddverse space strips (at least the local to Earth ones).  Hopefully they'll include the Anderson Goes to Mars story.

Pyroxian

Quote from: sheridan on 19 October, 2018, 05:26:48 PM
I meant to ask if anybody has seen that King Carlos picture before - disclaimer said they were placeholder covers, so I'm guessing it's been used on a collection before?

It was used on the US version of the "Strontium Dog: The Early Cases" GN - http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Strontium_Dog:_The_Early_Cases_(Collected)

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 19 October, 2018, 05:26:48 PM
As for the content - strange to call it Luna-1 when it could potentially cover any Dreddverse space strips (at least the local to Earth ones).  Hopefully they'll include the Anderson Goes to Mars story.

I agree, it's odd - but from this showing it seems like a solid plan, to follow the order of the Mega Epics and introduce related material as they go. Presumably next we'll get the Undercity, the Academy and SJS/Chief Judge's Office in the DtLD book.  Then Texas City and Extra-solar shenanigans in JCQ. Clever sort of drip-feed.

sheridan

About one hour left on the Kickstarter. No idea what happens with future releases after the core rulebook is no longer available.

TordelBack

PDFs already sent out!  These lads aren't messing.

Only had a chance to skim The Robot Wars supplement, but it's an odd beast to be sure. If I was trying to get people into Dredd RPGs I personally wouldn't start with the core adventure - precisely following the plot and characters of the Robot War story (perhaps admirably) including all the kitsch, cringe and speech-impediment humour of 70s comics for 8-year olds,  but delivered in a rather cold analytic style. I think the Dredd setting has a lot better to offer than this even just in the rogue robots line - the Second Robot War, Mechanismo or Mekka-City, for example.  But then TBH I've never really understood the play-a-story-you've-already-read style of role-playing anyway - or indeed playing as Dredd himself - I generally want original scenarios against a familiar backdrop.

This tone continues into short breakdowns of some other Casefiles Vol 1 stories,  and while there is a certain appeal in the prospect of taking down 'Kevin O'Neil' in the Krong story, there's not much there that a quick re-read wouldn't cover, while making you wish you were looking at Vols 4-8 instead.

The Citizen characters' adventure seems much looser and a lot more fun, with some nice outlines for features and personalities of Matt Damon Block. It's also something I've never tried,  although various White Dwarf articles encouraged you to run a perp campaign with the GW Dredd RPG. I'm naturally well-disposed to a setting that includes a Goth gang who keep getting arrested because they can't run fast in their giant boots (whistles innocently and hopes Jim isn't reading).

You really can't fault the thoroughness of the 'crunch' section either - there's about 40 pages on running/playing robot characters, from vending machines to construction droids,  and sexmeks to public defenders, which is mainly a series of concepts and ideas but is astonishingly comprehensive. There ought to be enough inspiration in there to keep anyone happy.

Robot Wars is clearly a labour of love, and solid value for money. My ambivalence towards it probably comes from a lack of affection for the specific source material - Casefiles Vol 1 is really the strip struggling to find its feet, in the hands of writers of varying quality,  but this book approaches it more as if Dredd himself is going through that process, despite already having 20 years under his boots. Trying to rationalize the quasi-racist tropes, outdated SF trappings and weird inconsistencies of this period of the strip as if they had an internal logic is a bit of a fool's errand, but if you wanted to play a game with the flavour of the earliest strips,  there's no doubt that this is as close are you're likely to get.

This level of attention to detail and expansive generation of character and story concepts bodes well for future supplements focusing on eras that are more to my personal taste.

BTW Sheridan,  surely it's only the gorgeous Carlos-cover Deluxe Edition that's exclusivd to this Kickstarter? Presumably they'll be selling the regular edition through the usual channels.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 October, 2018, 09:13:54 AM
PDFs already sent out!  These lads aren't messing.

We did get quite a few kickstarter updates over the past 24 hours, didn't we? :-)

QuoteBTW Sheridan,  surely it's only the gorgeous Carlos-cover Deluxe Edition that's exclusivd to this Kickstarter? Presumably they'll be selling the regular edition through the usual channels.

Not sure - if not, then presumably the future releases will have the core rulebook as one of the 'stretch' goals if they aren't contained in whatever the release is.  The closest paralells I can think of are the Judge Dredd D20 and hte Slaine D20 rulebooks, which (understandably) can be played entirely independently.  Though the more recent 2000AD RPGs were the Traveller-based JD and SD books, both of which are setting books that require the Traveller core book to actually play anything.

Toni Scandella

i asked on facebook and they said it will be sold as normal, but not until after all the backers have their rewards.

im impressed with the pdfs. the rule set looks much smoother than the d20 and traveller versions, which i ditched early on in favour of expanding my old GW rules with the feats and psi abilities. this one looks to be really easy to use all the gw and mongoose stuff with, too.

TordelBack

This was my thinking too. I like a system where char gen does most of the heavy lifting, and gameplay uses a single resolution mechanic read straight off the sheet. Swapping in NPC archetypes in to old adventures seems like it would be a doddle.   

From tinkering about a bit it does seem like perps and citizens are going to be more interesting than Judges, who naturally feel samey. But I did have fun creating a thrillseeking amateur xenobiologist who specializes in cataloguing alien/mutant organisms growing in hard-to-reach nooks and crannies high up on the sides of citiblocks. I suspect he may be seconded to Med Div shortly for a 6th Career slot.

Next exploratory mission is to try to progress Joe and both Ricos through to their current/final states and see how that works. But how to represent Rico being the better cadet?

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 October, 2018, 02:21:05 AM
This was my thinking too. I like a system where char gen does most of the heavy lifting, and gameplay uses a single resolution mechanic read straight off the sheet. Swapping in NPC archetypes in to old adventures seems like it would be a doddle.   

From tinkering about a bit it does seem like perps and citizens are going to be more interesting than Judges, who naturally feel samey. But I did have fun creating a thrillseeking amateur xenobiologist who specializes in cataloguing alien/mutant organisms growing in hard-to-reach nooks and crannies high up on the sides of citiblocks. I suspect he may be seconded to Med Div shortly for a 6th Career slot.

I used Russ Morrus' PHP character generator (have all the PDFs now, but it's going to be some time before I can go through them).  My robot is about 28 years old and has gone through 5 careers - not sure that quite works for a robot, but I can see chargen will be a good session zero.