Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Saw Bob Lazar: Area 51 & Flying Saucers on Netflix out of morbid curiousity... Felt like I was watching a This Is Spinal Tap take on UFO "documentaries".

I wasn't a believer of UFOs before watching it, and now I'm even less of one. Well worth a watch.

radiator

Spider-Man: Far From Home.

Bit of a mixed bag, and one of the more forgettable Marvel movies in recent years.

It has some fairly clever ideas and concepts in play, but the storytelling (and narrative connective tissue) is super flimsy at times - even by MCU standards. It also has way too much plot for one single movie - so much happens and it moves so fast that there isn't really time for anything to sink in (the ramifications of the events of Endgame are handwaved in a really unsatisfying way, and we're supposed to invest in the relationship between Parker and Beck after they've had, what, 3 to 4 minutes of screen time together?) and certain plot developments are so contrived and implausible that the film all but breaks the fourth wall and winks at the audience with a stupid grin on its face.

There's also something off about the editing, pacing and overall direction that's hard to put my finger on, but it felt like there were frames or scenes missing or something - the film overall felt weirdly slapdash, with a lot of strange cuts, unfinished looking visual effects, awkward scene transitions and some pretty lame attempts at humour. Perhaps the strain of Marvel putting out three massive movies in the span of barely four months is evident on screen?

The MCU Spider-Man movies are what they are - they're so connected to the larger overall plot of the MCU that they don't really feel like standalone movies so much as cobbled together partworks, and they aren't even close to being in the same league as the Raimi films imo. It's a shame as I think they are slightly squandering the really solid cast they have.

radiator

Toy Story 4

Got to admit, I was a bit skeptical going in and had avoided rushing out to see this as I assumed it would be the latest in a long line of rather underwhelming and unnecessary Pixar sequels, but I was happy to be proved wrong - it was absolutely sublime.

A fully worthwhile continuation of the series that manages to bring some really imaginative new ideas (and characters) to the table and feels relatively fresh despite essentially being yet another spin on the old 'toy rescue mission' plot. The animation of the creepy ventriloquist dummies was a highlight. Absolutely loved it.

TordelBack

The Greatest Showman. Feck me but that was some overrated shite. Entertaining as Hugh Jackman can be, I was having real problems seeing him and his perpetual rictus grin as a young man starting out in the world. And that was before some of the drab numbers went on for 15 fecking minutes. Zendaya's radiant countenance was an occasional bright spot.

Bolt-01

Tords - totally agree on the Greatest Showman. I thought it might make a decent stage show, but there just wasn't enough plot for it to be a film of any great depth.

Keef Monkey

Had a friend over who wanted to see what Shudder had to offer, so put on Revenge (still excellent on a second watching) and The Void which I hadn't seen. It's fairly low budget and a heavy homage to Carpenter films (particularly Prince of Darkness) as well as in its ending [spoiler]a big nod to The Beyond[/spoiler]. It's nothing mindblowing but I thought it had some very striking and memorable imagery and it's biggest strength is that it's chock-full of old school practical creature effects which is really nice and refreshing these days. Enjoyed it!

Also rewatched Blade Runner 2049, still love it and still really, really happy and surprised that they made a new Blade Runner movie and that it actually turned out to be a more than worthy sequel.

wedgeski

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 August, 2019, 09:22:18 AMAlso rewatched Blade Runner 2049, still love it and still really, really happy and surprised that they made a new Blade Runner movie and that it actually turned out to be a more than worthy sequel.
Just like the original, this gets exponentially better the more you watch it.

Mardroid

Glad to see positive comments on Bladerunner 2049.

To be fair, a lot did seem to like it, but plenty seemed not to. I really liked it myself, too.

Hawkmumbler

Had a pulpy Sunday lazy day after handing in my final assignment, so camped out on a WWII double bill of The Dirty Dozen and Von Ryans Express. Both fun in their own ways with some splendid action set pieces and you just can beat that cast on Dozen (how did actual brick shit house Clint Walker never play Superman?!) perfect for a detox, I watch so much pretentious and sometimes exhaustive cinema that occasionally it's just nice to watch some solid action pulp.

Mattofthespurs

I watched Von Ryan's Express as an eight year old for the first time many moons ago.

[spoiler]Cried when old blue eyes bought the farm, I really did.[/spoiler]

My favourite War films are Where Eagles Dare, A bridge too Far, The Longest Day and Battle of the Bulge.

Love those movies. Whenever I come across them on the TV I have to watch them. House rules.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Kelly's Heroes was on yesterday with its strange hippy beat while blasting Nazis and stealing gold. Very materialistic for the supposed sixties counter culture. The Bridge at Remagen with George Segal and Ben Gazzara is another of those perennial war movies. Some good action scenes and stunt work in both.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

wedgeski

Took in Dredd again over the weekend. Still depressingly good.

Are the picture quality issues fixed in the UHD version?

shaolin_monkey

I saw Top Secret! for the first time on the weekend. I was hoping it would be as laugh-out-loud funny as the Naked Gun, but was more 'mildly amusing'.  It definitely is of its time.

Hawkmumbler

Love Peter Cushings cameo in Top Secret!, but the facts thats all I can recall is quiet telling.

wedgeski

Is Top Secret the one with the giant phone perspective gag?