Main Menu

How to make inking enjoyable...?

Started by uncle fester, 15 May, 2009, 11:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncle fester

I apologise to any lurking inkers/inking fans here but god in a bucket, I really find inking dull.

So here's the thing. You've put together a five page layout and all the pencils are happy and jolly, inking looms on the horizon like a cloud and you basically have to do everything all over again. So how to make it enjoyable?

Meditation? Loud music? Biscuits?

Suggestions? Do tell.

Tweak72

Option 1

Option 2

Scan it in to Photoshop and arse about with the contrast and colour settings and such like. (Like Roman Dirge of Lanor fame does)
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Professor Bear

I have found the most reliable way to make inking enjoyable is to get someone else to do it.

uncle fester

Three valid points well put, I feel. Each has their own merit! And welcome to the board, Professah!

Richmond Clements

uncle fester

I saw one post and have jumped to conclusions...  :)

Professor Bear

I've been up every street, me.

Inking in photoshop - Scan pencils as a colour document at 300dpi minimum.  Make sure the file is roughly that resolution when you start inking, too, as any lower and the artwork looks blurry or pixellated when printed.  I presume print is the endgame, but if not, you can work with a lower resolution for the web.  Try mucking about with image/adjustments/curves (ctrl+m) or image/adjustments/'brightness/contrast' for approximate inking effects, but bear in mind this is only half the job unless your pencils are super-tight.

Many recommend Illustrator for inking, but I can't speak of such things.

Dark Jimbo

I tend to find that generally I'm really pleased with my pencils, but when it comes to ink them I somehow manage to suck all the detail, fun and sense of movement from them. Anyone else know where I'm coming from...?
@jamesfeistdraws

Bolt-01

Well I'll be... the Bear is back...

Howdy Prof.

uncle fester

Know exactly what you mean DarkJimbo, which is half the issue with me not enjoying inking - and skipping straight to paint!

uncle fester

Quote from: "Professah Byah"I've been up every street, me.

Inking in photoshop - Scan pencils as a colour document at 300dpi minimum.  Make sure the file is roughly that resolution when you start inking, too, as any lower and the artwork looks blurry or pixellated when printed.  I presume print is the endgame, but if not, you can work with a lower resolution for the web.  Try mucking about with image/adjustments/curves (ctrl+m) or image/adjustments/'brightness/contrast' for approximate inking effects, but bear in mind this is only half the job unless your pencils are super-tight.

Many recommend Illustrator for inking, but I can't speak of such things.

I'm with you up to that point, Prof. That's how I usually work. But as Jimbo has previously said, a lot of the time you can find the life being sucked out of your pencils, tight or not.

Bouwel

Inking was about the one thing I liked about my graphic design course.

I'm guessing that makes me...odd?

-Bouwel-
(Everything is better with bears, btw)
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

jock

draw with your ink! don't just trace, the finished product will feel very dead, draw + add to the pencils.

uncle fester

Ah now that's an answer I was hoping for. Though I thought it was kinda frowned upon in some circles, it seems like the only way that I'm comfortable working.

Much obliged, Jock.

pauljholden

List to Jock, for he is wise...
(Try pencilling and inking at the same time, ie, draw bits of a panel in pencils, ink them, rub them out, then add more to it. Make the whole thing more organic. May not work out for you, but it's how I do it...)

-pj