Main Menu

Synammon

Started by Dudley, 16 October, 2003, 04:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

One at least one occasion on this board I had the piss taken out of me because I said I quite liked bits of the art on Bison.
It was the script that let it down.

Some of the women were pretty well-rendered.

In Synammon's case, the art works quite well. I approve of slinky ladies in 2000AD.

And it was a half-decent read.

- Trout

Tex Hex

I too liked the art on bison. We should start a gang trout...

(maybe "liked" is a strong word, scratch it and replace with "didnt object to")

hex

Krustabi

I re-read that first episode, and realised that certain elements of the strip did appeal. However Synnamon herself is annoying. Worst name ever

thinky

I really liked Synammon (i actually liked Bison, but please save the booing 'til later)

the Iain M Banks / Culture influence is pretty obvious - but as i'd love to see some of Banks' novels in 2thou form anyway (esp. Look to Winward) this is probably as near as i'm going to get.

As far as first episodes go, this was an excellent start.. a lot happened in a mere 6 pages to allow us to meet the character and get a good insight into her traits and personality

please give this a chance, and well done Dudley for moving this away from the 'isn't the latest prog sh!t thread'

yttim?

btw, i think it's a very good prog - there i've said it
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Krustabi

In my opinion, too much happened in the first episode. At least the first ep of Snow/Tiger had a analysis of both characters. Tharg should have moved DMW to next week and given Synnamon a double-length introduction.

The Monarch

I thought i was enemy no 1...ah well looks like i am now...

I still hate it by the by

JimBob

Thought it and Dead Man Walking were fairly solid starts, and I liked the slightly clearer art style on Durham Red.
 Not particularly inspiring but certainly not awful either, give it time.

JTurner

Christ. I must be the only one here who doesn't see Iani M Banks in this strip. Probably because I've never visualised his work as a comic, and certainly not a pulp sci-fi comic.

Dudley

I think it's more that the physics & technology of Banks' universe has been used as a guide to what Synnamon can & can't do.  The narrative doesn't strike me as terribly Banksian, but given that I've only seen this one-off episode I'll have to wait & see.

JimBob

Michael Fleisher and Shaky Kane present :The Wasp Factory.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Leigh S

Synammon was a big improvement on the first episode of Bison. Though it had as many cliches, there was at least the glimmer of some thought to the whole stealing the orb - whether it can actually be more than the sum of its influences we'll see.  Never read Banks, but I expected his Sci-Fi to be groundbreaking rather than uber retro - this is much more pulp Sci-Fi and it'll have to do something special to rise above Rose O'Rion clone, let alone more cherished strips.

Still, better than I expected: I can't see how its going to avoid being anything other than derivative, but it might still turn out to be a bit of derivative fun.....  

Queen Firey-Bou

well hey, its something different int it ? the name grates me, but i'm probably an olde fuddy duddy who doesnt like silly spellings of names.

some bits of the art work grate, some bits are real nice. i don't like where shes posey & pouty but looks stupid. i like the skratchy bits.

But hell, its just nice to see new , different stuff so i'll give it a whirl.

the prison one i really liked, cept'n he killed the tattooed chick off too soon, oh well.

Queen Firey-Bou

oh i shoulda signed off that one,

KweeeNa ffeyerie Pbuea. or BewwwDahyiKa to friends.