Main Menu

The Dredd VS Death official discussion thread

Started by James, 16 October, 2003, 07:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog

Use the TAB key on the PC version to show objectives now.
Not particularly helpful info I know but there you go.

Something Fishy

thanks for that tip.  we shall try that.

chopper666

Both X-Box and PS2 version of DvD have an end of level save option built in, rather than a save as you go option. This can be a major pain in the backside on some levels of the game, but the game does autosave at every checkpoint so you only need to make it as far as one and dont have to re-run over the same areas over and over again.

Just a few points here before I post my own reviews of the currently available formats. The game works excellently on the two player co-op mode perhaps the single best feature of this game and can be really good fun, but sadly the same cant be said for the multiplayer option. I am not a stranger to FPS and four games in a row I found myself unable to kill more than a couple of perps, and on one occasion not even a single kill to my credit. No matter how much you tweak the controls, the AI of the perps remains stupidly hard and they just blow the crap out of you!

One of the features I was really looking forward to from the sneaks that have been leaked all year, was the online play but sadly neither version has this option which really sucks.

Still the game itself has lots of excellent points and looks and sounds stunning.

Heres a quick tip for those playing on the console versions. If your forced to re-load your lawgiver or other weapon and in close combat with a creature or perp, rather than just let the beast beat you down, hit the punch button and then fire immediatly and it will cut out the reload animation.

Reviews will be up tomorrow.
Marc

Link: http://www.dreddtimes.com/" target="_blank">Dredd Times

http://www.dreddtimes.com/timesbanner.gif">

Mr.Easy

Well, here's my review chaps (PC version). A bit long winded etc. but I'm interested to know who agrees/disagrees with it.

Link: http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=436" target="_blank">Review.

The Monarch

Roguerat

How the hell do you troubleshoot network issues ? There are no LAN settings in the game at all and if one PC hosts a co-op game, it just doesn't show up in the server list on the 2nd PC. Both PC's can however see each other via IP on the LAN. Does this game need a HOST entry ?

Oddboy

I like the way you start off with a helmetless Dredd, and have to find your helmet before you can start the game. Nice touch.

Also the posters in the ISO-block judge dorms...
JUDGE OF THE MONTH competitions & such.

Great stuff.
Better set your phaser to stun.

JTurner

Here's my 2 cents on the PS2 version.

It's bloody good! I expected to be dissapointed, but I have just completed 2 of the most satisfying FPS levels of my life. I don't consider the checkpoint issue to be too much of a problem, you just have to manage your playing time.

The AvP influences are there in droves - sentry guns, and the vampires seem to use the alien code without the wall walking.

The auto aim isn't quite as hot as fire warrior, but it's still playable with an console pad. My only gripe with the controls is that it's difficult to change ammo and move at the same time.

The graphics capture the comic perfectly, though the variety of the cits is a bit low (are there more skins in the PC version?).

Overall? If you've not got a ninja PC then go for the console version, it's just as good and possibly more challenging without the constant save option. Don't know if it's better than Fire Warrior, but it's certainly on par, and it's far funnier.

Oddboy

Auto-aim? What is this?

I was using the right D-pad to aim.

JTurner

Odd - It doesn't do the work for you, but your aim will alter slightly if it's only a little off mark.

Oddboy

Will I. Cooling

On level 4 and I'm loving it (although I'm kinda a stranger to FFPs). It feels like Dredd and lots of excellent easter eggs for example all the posters (including a kick ass Jock one) and the PA in the mall.

Also the characters (w/ the exception of the w'men who still looks weird) look way better than they did in the ads.

In all top stuff.

No lets go and burn Metal Hammer for disagreeing.

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Mk13

>No lets go and burn Metal Hammer for disagreeing.

Ah, but are redeeming themselves by running a series of mini Terror Tales over the next few issues, so we still like em.

And besides, their reviewer was equally critical about Fire Warrior on the same page, so I guess he don't like future FPSes that much in general.

WoD

Is there anyone with a link to what the PC patch covers, or can anyone (Mk13 maybe) tell us what it updates?

Enjoying the game, but haven't had chance to give it a good go yet, I'm only just completed the level that was released on the demo.  I did note that the game seem tougher, and the AI a little brighter (plus the tough goons who never give up, now carry a concealed weapon if you shoot the machine gun or rail-gun out of their hands, sneaky gits)

Cheers,
WoD.

test 4 echo

first patch was released same days as the game was. get it from Gamespot.com
didnt read the list of fixes, so cant tell you what it does