Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Satanist on 31 March, 2016, 10:40:13 AM
Played Pandemic for the first time last night and we all lost but it was still great fun. The kids loved the co-op aspect of it and it was good to see them reacting to the various outbreaks and coming up with their plans. We played it at its easiest level and it was genuinely quite tense & exciting . The rules are very straight forward and seem to have been very well thought out. Cracking stuff.

If anything I prefer the games that see humanity wiped out! I love the tension of that turn where you can feel that everything hangs in the balance - you're either about to start gradually pulling things together or totally lose control of the situation.

I don't know if they came up in your first game, but it's the chain reactions that are the real killer - when a city that already has three cubes has to be re-infected, the disease spreads to every connecting city instead; and if any of those cities are already at three cubes, the same happens again... You can lose the game in a single turn!
@jamesfeistdraws

Pyroxian

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 31 March, 2016, 03:09:12 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 31 March, 2016, 10:40:13 AM
Played Pandemic for the first time last night and we all lost but it was still great fun. The kids loved the co-op aspect of it and it was good to see them reacting to the various outbreaks and coming up with their plans. We played it at its easiest level and it was genuinely quite tense & exciting . The rules are very straight forward and seem to have been very well thought out. Cracking stuff.

If anything I prefer the games that see humanity wiped out! I love the tension of that turn where you can feel that everything hangs in the balance - you're either about to start gradually pulling things together or totally lose control of the situation.

I don't know if they came up in your first game, but it's the chain reactions that are the real killer - when a city that already has three cubes has to be re-infected, the disease spreads to every connecting city instead; and if any of those cities are already at three cubes, the same happens again... You can lose the game in a single turn!

We're playing Pandemic Legacy at the moment, which is even more tense, as outbreaks increase the panic level of a city, which persists between games (so you end up with cities becoming no-go areas due to rioting etc.)...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Pyroxian on 31 March, 2016, 03:33:34 PM
We're playing Pandemic Legacy at the moment, which is even more tense, as outbreaks increase the panic level of a city, which persists between games (so you end up with cities becoming no-go areas due to rioting etc.)...

I can't wait to give Legacy a go..! It sounds brilliant.
@jamesfeistdraws

Satanist

Yeah we ended up with a chain reaction near the end of game which was v funny/tense. I just cant get over how simple it all was to play and yet really involving. We all loved it.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

ThryllSeekyr

I was thinking a Slaine version of the Talisman game might work. It's got the right set up for world that could be divided into four inner worlds under the surface.....

If your interested, I have more to share.

Satanist

Well we all won our first game of Pandemic last night and it was very exciting with one card left before it was game over.

Mrs is away this weekend so Im deffo gonna get a game of X-wing with the boys, then learn how to play Ghostbusters in preperation for next weeks games night.

Still not ready for D&D just yet despite the kids daily reminders :lol: and my eldest just bought the monster manual with his B'day cash. Honestly who doesnt like a good monster manual and this ones great  with loads of descriptions, stats and every creature has a lovely colour illustration.

and the Mrs wants to get back into Space Hulk

and I just got King of Tokyo for my B'day.

Might have to start up a second family games night  :P

Keef Monkey

I've arranged a game of Space Hulk on Saturday and am only just sitting down to read the rules now, I predict it will get messy! Going to watch some videos beforehand, that usually helps.

Depending how much time that takes am hoping to squeeze in some Assassinorum Execution Force as well as I've only had that out a couple of times.

Still haven't beaten a game of Pandemic, although we got a lot closer on 2nd try. We maybe got a bit cocky because things were going so damn well and we had it all in hand and then it fell apart very, very fast!

Satanist

We were extremely lucky with the characters we drew at the start and as I said it was so close to game over when we won.

At the moment with Space Hulk we are still playing the first map with no timer to get everyone upto speed with the rules but as soon as thats won and we move onto the next map then the gloves are off.

sheridan

Quote from: Satanist on 07 April, 2016, 09:59:27 AM
Still not ready for D&D just yet despite the kids daily reminders :lol: and my eldest just bought the monster manual with his B'day cash. Honestly who doesnt like a good monster manual and this ones great  with loads of descriptions, stats and every creature has a lovely colour illustration.
Apologies if you mentioned this upthread - I presume you have the Players Handbook and Dungeon Masters Guide already?  PH is absolutely essential, it's probably a matter of personal preference which is most important out of DMG and MM.  Are you playing 3.5 or 5th ed?  (Apparently there was a version in between, but we don't talk about that!)

Satanist

We have the basic boxed set (basic rules for players & DMing, dice and a starter adventure) but the boy was desperate for the MM as he likes that kind of thing. If all goes well with the starter set then I'll buy the other books as well.

Its the 5th edition BTW.

TordelBack

I'm not even playing D&D and I want that MM - it's gorgeous! 

Our Easter Dragon Warriors sessions went well, with the party still refusing to do anything their GM mighy want them to, but at least I expect this now: looks like I'm running a sandbox campaign after all.  Diverging from my carefully laid trail of breadcrumbs they dismissed their intended patron and the two NPC allies they had previously been working with, instead befriending the local brute squad who were busy oppressing the rural proleteriat, avoided a bear (wise), dispatched an angry carrion crawler in an exciting ruck, looted a pile of corpses (picking up a cursed necklace in the process - as yet unrevealed!), and finally, finally headed for the entrance of my lovingly stocked mini-dungeon (the one with the Pazuzu as mini-boss).  I was particularly impressed with secret-princess-in-exile Celestia (my 6 year old) who did some terrific in-character roleplaying and wilderness problem solving.

The pestering for more is relentless: next session is scheduled for Saturday, and I'm really looking forward to it. 

ThryllSeekyr

I wanted to get the new Warhammer-Fantasy books as I found them on the shelves of the new gaming/book store before they shifted along the street probably about a month & a fortnight ago & didn't find any of books...exactly.

Yet, I did pick up Warhammer 40k - Death-Watch & 5th Edition - Players Guide for Dungeons & Dragons. Pretty damn pricey at about 60 dollars AUD each.

Not that I expect to be playing any of these games. I still like to flip through them to read random paragraphs & admire the new art-work. Which is a dramatic change from the art of the very first monster manuals. Just saying so, because the book usually has a lot of art in it!

sheridan

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 08 April, 2016, 02:13:59 AM
Not that I expect to be playing any of these games. I still like to flip through them to read random paragraphs & admire the new art-work. Which is a dramatic change from the art of the very first monster manuals. Just saying so, because the book usually has a lot of art in it!
You can play by forum (not unlike this forum).   rpggeek.com and probably rpg.net have such forums.

ThryllSeekyr

Anybody interested in starting the Official 2000AD Online R.P.G. Club .....

I would suggest, something light....to start with. I don't think I would be the best choice for Dungeon/Game-Master/Story-Teller either.

richerthanyou

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 10 April, 2016, 12:49:49 PM
Anybody interested in starting the Official 2000AD Online R.P.G. Club .....

I would suggest, something light....to start with. I don't think I would be the best choice for Dungeon/Game-Master/Story-Teller either.

Sounds interesting
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)