Main Menu

Avengers - Infinity War

Started by Judgedreddrocks, 27 April, 2018, 10:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

The only thing I will add is that it seems many films that are on the slate are set before Infinity War.
Ant Man and Wasp and the other one I mentioned (damn you old age and laziness) certainly are.

No reason GotG 3 couldn't be. But I hope she comes back.

And if you have read the original Infinity Gauntlet then you may agree that so far, bar Thanos' reasoning for doing what he does, it's followed it fairly straight forwardly.

Could be that the films do to. Which would certainly imply that GotG 3 would be set before Infinity War ([spoiler]Just because of Adam Warlock[/spoiler])

IndigoPrime

Perhaps. But then – so far – Marvel has suggested that the end of Phase 3 is the end of that chunk of the MCU, and we're only getting two films before that (Ant Man and the Wasp, and I Wish It Was The Other Character With Marvel In Her Name). It'd be a bit weird if GOTG3, released in 2020, is set before a film that showed up two years beforehand. Although, who knows? Perhaps they're going to bounce all over the place now.

The Legendary Shark

IV, V, VI, I, II, III, VII, IIIb, VIII, I-?, IX...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 May, 2018, 04:08:03 PM
Perhaps. But then – so far – Marvel has suggested that the end of Phase 3 is the end of that chunk of the MCU, and we're only getting two films before that (Ant Man and the Wasp, and I Wish It Was The Other Character With Marvel In Her Name). It'd be a bit weird if GOTG3, released in 2020, is set before a film that showed up two years beforehand. Although, who knows? Perhaps they're going to bounce all over the place now.

That is in fact the way I am reading it. In the BIG build up to Avengers 4.

But what the fuck do I know no need to answer that. We all know the answer. Smart Arse

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 May, 2018, 03:34:30 PMI didn't feel invested, and the entire thing feels set up for a big ol' reset switch in the direct sequel. After all, when you see [spoiler]a load of characters vanish into ash, several of which already have films on the slate[/spoiler], you know there's about the same level of permanence as in the comics.

But wasn't that the point of [spoiler]using those particular characters, and so many of them[/spoiler]?  So that it was clear to the audience that it wasn't permanent, that the ending wasn't "[spoiler]oh no, they're all dead forever!" but rather "holy feck, how are they going to fix all this in the next one!"[/spoiler], and even, "wait, what about the other non-disintegrated deaths?".  A proper cliffhanger, in other words.

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 May, 2018, 03:15:09 PM
Isn't this so much fun, though?  I'm having these conversations everywhere, with my kids, colleagues, friends, weirdies on the internet, all puzzling through the most inconsequential of comicky things....

I've just finished a 2-day onsite consultancy up in London. After our customary "good morning, please to meet you" yesterday morning, the first question that was asked of me wasn't anything to do with what I was there for but was "So...have you seen Infinity War yet?"  :lol:
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

IndigoPrime

TordelBack: fair point. But the showing I was at still resulted in a bunch of nippers leaving distraught (because they don't get that), and me thinking: which button will they press to reset all this to something resembling the status quo?

Oh, and I forgot one other bugbear: [spoiler]enough already of the millions-strong armies of faceless monsters the heroes can merrily dispatch[/spoiler]. It's become a cliche, and it's getting old.

Professor Bear

Is the one future where the heroes win the one where Dr Strange tells Quill to [spoiler]put his earphones on when they've just about got Thanos' gauntlet off?  Come to think of it, why didn't he just tell Quill ahead of time that Gamora was dead so he wouldn't fuck things up in the home stretch?[/spoiler]

Finally got around to seeing this, and it was great fun.  After the disappointment of Last Jedi, it's good to see an event movie deliver thematic consistency and not sacrifice tension to wisecracks or second-guessing its audience, though I did laugh at Peter Dinklage's giant "dwarf" because it looked just like Mickey Rooney in that Twilight Zone episode, and also because the giant forge thing where the dwarf works is an Armillary Sphere like in the opening titles of Game Of Thrones.  People mentioned the Hobbit films as a point of reference to these scenes, too, though I still haven't managed to make it through the first one of those, so I'll take y'all words for it.
Much better than Ultron, if nothing else.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 03 May, 2018, 11:38:43 PM
People mentioned the Hobbit films as a point of reference to these scenes, too, though I still haven't managed to make it through the first one of those, so I'll take y'all words for it.

The Hobbit is only notable for it's bad CGI gold.

blackmocco

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 May, 2018, 07:18:50 PM
Oh, and I forgot one other bugbear: [spoiler]enough already of the millions-strong armies of faceless monsters the heroes can merrily dispatch[/spoiler]. It's become a cliche, and it's getting old.

Am I alone in thinking [spoiler]the hordes of Thanos looked somewhat familiar...? The eyes, the mouth, the tongue, and all conveniently covered in some sort of goo that was doing its best to obscure a white symbol on their black bodies? I'll posit my theory here: the Spidey symbiote has its movie origin. Wouldn't have thought anything much but the Venom trailer showed before Avengers and I'm assuming the symbiotes ol' Tom is investigating are going to be specimens taken from the Wakanda battlefield.[/spoiler]
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

GordonR

Quote from: blackmocco on 04 May, 2018, 12:09:06 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 May, 2018, 07:18:50 PM

Am I alone in thinking [spoiler]the hordes of Thanos looked somewhat familiar...? The eyes, the mouth, the tongue, and all conveniently covered in some sort of goo that was doing its best to obscure a white symbol on their black bodies? I'll posit my theory here: the Spidey symbiote has its movie origin. Wouldn't have thought anything much but the Venom trailer showed before Avengers and I'm assuming the symbiotes ol' Tom is investigating are going to be specimens taken from the Wakanda battlefield.[/spoiler]

Venom isn't a Marvel Studios film.  It's Sony, who still have the Spider-Man rights.  While the deal between the studios means the Venom movie can be in the Spider-Man Homecoming universe, I very much doubt it'll connect into something as core MCU as Infinity War.

Bolt-01

But it is a bloody good idea.

JOE SOAP

blackmocco

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 May, 2018, 09:54:11 AM

I know it's probably not the case. It was and is, obviously, just a theory. Nonetheless, rumours abound Holland is in Venom in some capacity as Spidey after being spotted on set and they're going to need to explain the symbiote's appearance SOMEhow. If they're still sticking to intergalactic origins, seems like a very easy way to lay it out.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JOE SOAP

I don't know the timeline of Venom but if MCU Spider-Man (Tom Holland) is supposed to be in some way in this or connected to it, it would cause a problem for Marvel since in the MCU Peter Parker is currently a pile of ash and half the universe has been raptured. Venom is released this October – 6 months before Avengers 4 – so for Sony the easiest option would be to sell Venom as pre-Infinity War, if they can even use the MCU as part of their marketing, but I think connecting it to the MCU causes more problems for Marvel they'd rather not have.