Main Menu

Prog 1911 -There was a crooked man...

Started by IronGraham, 06 December, 2014, 12:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronGraham

only three thrills this issue, grey suit and stickleback double length. I feel like I should reconise the pair in the car (Judge Dredd strip) anyone help a squaxx out?
We're werewolves not swearwolves

IndigoPrime

I've no idea, but I guess this is our final Prog before the 'annual'. The Dredd was run-of-the-mill fare, but solid; Greysuit was Greysuit and at least it concludes next book if you're not a huge fan; Stickleback has a twist in its tail (and tale) that I absolutely didn't see coming, but also that really didn't make be very excited. I hope it works out, but it seems to have the potential to strip some of the magic and mystery from the series.

ZenArcade

Bar Dredd, I've not really been gripped over the past 11 weeks. There is however the end of year prog to look forward to. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Darren Stephens

I really enjoyed all three thrills this week. Stickleback is so beautifully written and illustrated I could weep. Enjoyed this run of Greysuit, too. Dredd this week, although I suppose is what's referred to as filler, was brilliant. Very funny at times, too. :-)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Echidna

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 December, 2014, 01:18:24 PM
Stickleback has a twist in its tail (and tale) that I absolutely didn't see coming, but also that really didn't make be very excited. I hope it works out, but it seems to have the potential to strip some of the magic and mystery from the series.

I haven't read any Stickleback prior to Prog 1900 so the twist came completely out of the blue - I loved it (I actua-lolled) but I can see how long-term readers might be ambivalent or even annoyed by it. Were there any clues to his identity in previous episodes? Could anyone have seen it coming?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Echidna on 06 December, 2014, 02:58:23 PM
I haven't read any Stickleback prior to Prog 1900 so the twist came completely out of the blue - I loved it (I actua-lolled) but I can see how long-term readers might be ambivalent or even annoyed by it. Were there any clues to his identity in previous episodes? Could anyone have seen it coming?

Arguably so - I thought I knew who he was almost since the start of the strip, but Edginton pulled a cunning double-bluff, so as it turned out I was about as close as you could get without actually being right...

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 13 August, 2014, 02:42:15 PM
Quote from: Spaceghost on 13 August, 2014, 12:25:48 PM
- Ian Edginton enthusiastically explaining that the clues to Stickleback's true identity are already there on the page in the stories published to date, if you can work them out. I can't.

If he's not [spoiler]James Moriarty[/spoiler] I'll eat my hat.
@jamesfeistdraws

Ghost MacRoth

On stickleback....while we previously had indications he was not what he seemed (the strap on spine thing) I can't say I saw the reveal coming.  However, I'd likely have had to invest more than a passing interest in the tale.  I never really took to it, neither art nor writing being my kinda thing, but this twist?  Well, that really was the final flush to push this turd around the u-bend for me.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Echidna

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 06 December, 2014, 03:11:40 PM

I guess there was the whole [spoiler]late 19th century puppet-master of the London criminal underworld[/spoiler] thing... Sounds like Edginton's had it all planned out from the start - I'll have to pick up the collected books and see if I can spot the clues.

Also, I liked the cameo by D'Israeli's namesake, although I think it would have been neater if Queen Vic had called him by just his first name, leaving the reader put to two and two together and letting me feel slightly clever for figuring it out. It's not like I could name many other 19th century PMs... Gladstone? Um... Lord David... Boy... George?

Steve Green

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 06 December, 2014, 04:04:40 PM
On stickleback....while we previously had indications he was not what he seemed (the strap on spine thing) I can't say I saw the reveal coming.  However, I'd likely have had to invest more than a passing interest in the tale.  I never really took to it, neither art nor writing being my kinda thing, but this twist?  Well, that really was the final flush to push this turd around the u-bend for me.

Turd?

I can see how something might not be your thing, but I think that's coming on a bit strong.

Daveycandlish

Well I didn't see it coming and thoroughly enjoyed it. Highlight of the last prog before Chrimbo issue.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Echidna on 06 December, 2014, 04:09:23 PM

I guess there was the whole [spoiler]late 19th century puppet-master of the London criminal underworld[/spoiler] thing... Sounds like Edginton's had it all planned out from the start - I'll have to pick up the collected books and see if I can spot the clues.

Originally an educated guess, what convinced me I was right was a mention of [spoiler]Stickleback's 'penchant for watery deaths' when he was resurrected by Doyle at the start of the last book. Never even occured to me that he could have been the other of the two chaps to go over the Falls at Reichenbach... [/spoiler]  :lol: Very sneaky, Edginton!
@jamesfeistdraws

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Steve Green on 06 December, 2014, 04:27:37 PM
Turd?

I can see how something might not be your thing, but I think that's coming on a bit strong.

Lol, just a turn of phrase that came to mind. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

IndigoPrime

Well, I thought this run of Stickleback was fantastic, pretty much the opposite of a turd. Brooker's art continues to wow and evolve, and the script was great. It's just that final panel that made me go "Seriously?" and just deflate a bit. Reveals are always tough, which is probably why I'm a fan of comics that don't bother with them (such as Hellboy, which revels in mystery and just leaves a lot of things hanging).

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 06 December, 2014, 04:48:18 PM[spoiler]when he was resurrected by Doyle at the start of the last book.[/spoiler]

...and looking back on that now, being [spoiler]resurrected by DOYLE[/spoiler] reads as a lovely little joke from Edginton. After all, [spoiler]the "real" Holmes was also resurrected by Doyle[/spoiler]  :)

Colin YNWA

Well aside from the normal whines about the Prog not feeling like the Prog when it only has three stories not much to whine about here.

Thought the  was a bit of a stonker, in the best tradition of the strip, loved it.

It was also interesting that the two finale were so clearly far from that, both being bridges to whats to come and ending on something to suck you along to the next part. I've never been Sticklebacks biggest fan, nor do I really know much beyond the generally known about so the reveal shouldn't have had much of an impact, but I enjoyed the episode and enjoyed the reveal for what it was, good fun.

Greysuit has ebbed and flowed a little this series but over all I've enjoyed it. This double lenght episode didn't really add anything to what we know but still was rollocking good fun and that ending was tantilising so all good.

Nice wrapping up Tharg so lets see what your X-mas present brings...

... oh and that tease in Nerve Centre is that something that I should know about? The moment the Prog drops into our hands, I take it that refers to Wednesday... are we expecting an annoucement on Wednesday?