Main Menu

The Stainless Steel Rat

Started by McGurk76, 23 January, 2018, 09:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

IndigoPrime

I guess it only needs one desperate nutter and you're quids in.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I found a first edition of Stainless Steel Rat in a second hand bookshop y'know. Sold it on eBay for about £50.
Lock up your spoons!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Magnetica on 23 January, 2018, 04:35:09 PM
I ready all of the Stainless Steel Ray books back in the day and remember enjoying them all. What I couldn't get my head around was that the pictures of Slippery Jim and Angelina on the covers (and possibly their descriptions in the text, but I can't actually remember that level of detail) looked absolutely nothing like Carlos' version e.g Jim had black hair on the covers.

It was a shame 2000AD didn't adapt the remaining books, as it was one of my favourite strips at the time.

I have to agree, I can't image him as anyone other than James Coburn as drawn by Ezquerra!

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 23 January, 2018, 05:26:42 PM
The next episode of the book club podcast is about the Stainless Steel Rat.
Due out Sunday 4th February.

Nice! I'll mention also that Space Spinner has covered the first two series in episodes 42, 43, 45, 46, 49, 51, and 52! Still a ways a way from the third series, which starts over 200 progs after the first two!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Richard on 23 January, 2018, 07:54:20 PM
What in earth is the matter with these people?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00RWPR8CE/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
Nobody actually buys at this price.

Basically one big seller puts the decimal point in the wrong place and all the others either copy that price or base theirs on a percentage discount from the maximum.

How I remember the heady days when copies of the last volume of The Losers went like this. I was buying them from Forbidden Planet in Glasgow for a tenner and eBaying them for 40 quid a pop in the time it took to walk to the post office!

We never really die.

Richard

Even a decimal point in the wrong place wouldn't excuse the cheapest price on that list

Swerty

I've got this gathering dust on my shelf.Never knew it was scarce.

McGurk76

Great! Thanks everyone. Will certainly check that podcast out.

norton canes

Angelina DiGriz is one of Carlos Ezquerra's greatest representations. I love the little patch of shadow he always put between her eyes.

I always suspected he based her partially on Jacqueline Pearce's Servalan from Blake's 7.

CalHab

Quote from: I, Cosh on 23 January, 2018, 09:34:36 PM
Quote from: Richard on 23 January, 2018, 07:54:20 PM
What in earth is the matter with these people?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00RWPR8CE/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
Nobody actually buys at this price.

Basically one big seller puts the decimal point in the wrong place and all the others either copy that price or base theirs on a percentage discount from the maximum.

These booksellers are selling tens of thousands of different titles and price based on an algorithm.
https://www.wired.com/2011/04/amazon-flies-24-million/

Annoying when there's a title you want.

I bought Mazeworld last year for £10. Apparently I can now sell it for £600. Any offers?

sheridan

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 23 January, 2018, 02:26:07 PM
One of 2000AD's stories "Judge Dredd" is based on a Sylvester Stallone film of the same name.

Judge Dredd actually was based on a film featuring Sylvester Stallone, but not the one you're thinking of (unless you're thinking of this one):

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 23 January, 2018, 04:13:13 PM
It's be a while for me too, but I think they're pretty faithfully adapted, if very abridged. The first book is about 200 pages and it's only 12 progs long. Harry Harrison wrote comics back in the day as well, I believe several Rick Random stories that 2000AD republished in early Specials and Annuals were written by Harrison.

On top of which, he was also a comic artist:

I gather the following story was also referenced by the infamous Wertham:

PsychoGoatee

A Stainless Steel Rat Is Born, a prequel, is one of the first novels I read as a kid. Really cool stuff!