Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

This thread will be getting a lot of views for recommendations now.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

Too Old to Die Young. An LA cop becomes an assassin. I can't decide whether this is awesome or shite. It's full of long tracking shots of nothing much, scenes of people doing ordinary things like sleeping or getting dressed or thinking, lingering shots of women in underwear and so on - interspersed with bloody violence. Still, I'm up to episode six(of ten), so it must be doing something right...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 March, 2020, 06:18:00 PM

Too Old to Die Young. An LA cop becomes an assassin. I can't decide whether this is awesome or shite. It's full of long tracking shots of nothing much, scenes of people doing ordinary things like sleeping or getting dressed or thinking, lingering shots of women in underwear and so on - interspersed with bloody violence. Still, I'm up to episode six(of ten), so it must be doing something right...

Entertaining exploitation is how I described it, which is generally what Refn is good at.

Radbacker

West World season 3 has just started if you have a way to watch it.  I really liked the first 2 seasons and the s3 opener is a good one.  They've called it a soft reboot as we are now out of the park (though preview for ep2 looks like we may be heading back to the park for some of the characters).

CU Radbacker

karlos

Altered Carbon: Reseleeved

This came out last night and is an anime style prequel [spoiler](I think – some say it's set before season 1, some say after season 1 – I've not checked again[/spoiler]).

I know some have trouble with the "PS4-esque cel shaded" animation style, but, apart from the occasional stiffness of the figures, I found it very nice to look at.

Also, the action scenes are very well done and the overall design is mostly impressive.

Beyond that, the plot is a plod which is a shame, and makes it's 74 minute or so run time seem longer.

(BTW, I watched the english dub - there's a choice of Japanese or English language.  I went with English purely because [spoiler]Chris Conner, who plays Poe, voices a similar character[/spoiler], but bloody hell, the dialogue and most of the voice acting is seriously sub-par.  No idea if the Japanese dub fares any better).

If you're a fan, there are some nice nods to the first two seasons of the show, but I still can't
recommend this as anything more than a reasonably entertaining little sidequest.

Keef Monkey

Season 2 of Missions appeared on Shudder and I just binged through it in a couple of days. It's very easy to burn through, being 22 minute episodes, I found the first season went by similarly quickly! Still really enjoying it.

von Boom

Lucifer. I enjoyed the comic book it's based on so I decided to give it a try. At its core it's a pretty bog-standard American police procedural, however, Tom Ellis is just so damned charming and the storylines revolving around Lucifer and hell are quite interesting so it's keeping me engaged. It might not be to everyone's tastes, but it's certainly better than I thought it would be.

Professor Bear

Lucifer is often a bit too obviously desperate to seem edgy, but to be fair to it, the producers decided before it started to send as big a Fuck You to the pearl-clutching brigade who tried to get the show's advertisers to pull their funding, so Ellis' performance becomes set in stone as OTT at an early point and changing tack later would just be too much of a tonal shift (although they do attempt it in the Netflix-produced 4th season when they didn't have to worry about weekly ratings).

I did laugh when he showed up in [spoiler]Crisis On Infinite Earths[/spoiler], too.

Hawkmumbler

Finally watching Bojak Horseman, just started Season 5 and as messed up as the road to it was, i'm glad Season 4 ended on a positive note.

Now, how are our cast of absolute bastards going to ruin it for one another, eh?

repoman

Lucifer was quite disappointing.  There's a good story in there somewhere but the show has problems.

The woman in it seems to flit between angry at Lucifer and being outrageously loyal to him in a way I've not seen since The Blacklist (which is terrible). 

The main actor hams it up far too much.  And every episode basically involves him doing the same thing.  Getting caught up in a theory and accusing people wildly before being proven wrong.  He also rarely does any devil stuff.

His brother is the more interesting character.

Currently watching Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Watchmen (not bad but first two eps were a slog) and about to get started on the new series of Better Call Saul.

von Boom

Quote from: repoman on 05 April, 2020, 05:32:20 PM
Lucifer was quite disappointing.  There's a good story in there somewhere but the show has problems.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm only four episodes in.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 February, 2020, 10:22:24 PM
Well now I'm all Amazoned up I can do this without having to put DVDs into a thing and to celebrate I've just finishing watching the first season of The Tick.

It was great. While it wasn't quite as madcap as I remember the comics being (I've not read them in a long time and alas sold by full Edlund set many years ago) it really got the tone pretty damn well. Fantastic fun.

Well watched the second season and it continued to be just this. Fantastic fun. Its not brilliant or anything but it keeps the fun quirky and brisk and it works really well. Shame we didn't get more.

Tiplodocus

Well I right enjoyed the first episode of DEVS by Alex Garland. It's on iPlayer. It's main premise isn't the mystery, just a jumping off point so interested to see where it goes.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Been bingeing Netflix's The Crown. Just started on season 3.

It's a bit bombastic in tone at times, almost certainly overly heightened dramatically, and some of the dialogue and staging is a little heavyhanded at times, but so far it's been surprisingly excellent and a really nice slice of  comfort viewing in very stressful times - the televisual equivalent of a really rich mug of hot chocolate.

The cast is pretty much incredible from top to bottom, and I'm actually learning quite a bit about 20th century British history - to my shame I'd never even heard of things like the Aberfan disaster or the crazy killer London fog incident.

It's also kind of astonishing to see what is ostensibly a British TV drama production (not really, but you know what I mean) made on such a lavish, blockbuster-level budget and realised on an almost unimaginably vast scale. There's obviously a lot of greenscreen and digital trickery going on, but it's done in a very restrained way and doesn't look nearly as obnoxious and plasticy as it does in the vast majority of modern movies.

Hugely impressive.

Colin YNWA

Just watched Season 2, episode 5 of Black Sails . I'd noticed it was the lowest rated episode on IMDB of the series and was really curious as to why. And for most of the episode I thought I knew why, some of the motivations seemed a little off and unclear, convenient and a little contrieved. Then there was a magnificent reveal that utterly blindsided me, but washed away in an instant those reservations. Just brilliant.

Alas, of course, the reason that this episode is the lowest rated is that some folks allow their prejudices rule over their appreciation of great storytelling.

This series has finally risen above the level of fantastic, tightly plotted, ultra violent soap into drama of the highest standard and as with all great reveals I now want to go back and rewatch the earlier episodes with the knowledge I now have. Some bits now make so much more sense...

... mind they do need to stop those bloody silly 'three episode' wounds. They still do my head in!