Main Menu

Roy of the Rovers making a come back at Rebellion

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 April, 2018, 05:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I, Cosh

Can't wait for the first post-match bath scene to see what sort of manscaping Mr Willsher has planned for Poor old Roy.
We never really die.

sheridan

Yep - RoboKeef said that the RotR acquisition generated a fair bit of press interest (memory may be playing tricks on me, but I got the impression it probably garnered the biggest reaction from the media at large as anything else had for Rebellion.  Caveats in case computer game releases got more enquiries).

BPP

If they could get Roy syndicated into football match day programs that would be a coup and great PR for any GN.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Professor Bear

Not that I am saying that football fans or fans of UK comics are in any way insular fandoms, you understand, but I presumed they'd skew more traditional until the brand was firmly established.

glassstanley

Frank

Quote from: glassstanley on 26 May, 2018, 11:34:57 AM
His leg appears to have grown back.

So have his telomeres!

Mr Wilsher, who has also drawn for Doctor Who Magazine, continued: "Of course, our new Roy is only 16, and in the years to come I'm sure he'll have many a change of haircut - just like the original."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-44239757

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I for one had to look up telomeres...

I really hope this does well, even though my knowledge of football doesn't extend far beyond Billy the Fish.  And I like the new look. Ben Willsher is a fat more versatile artist than I'd realised, and the old Jeffrey-out-of-Rainbow 'do would never work for da kidz these days.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Amstor Computer

Looking at the credits, the Roy illos here are actually by Lisa Henke (who I hadn't heard of, but who appears to be a German artist) working off Willsher's designs.

I rather like the new look, and Henke's interpretation of it, and while I suspect it might rankle with some older fans who still expect Roy to look like he fell out of a mid-'70s hairdresser, Roy has (unlike Dredd) always changed somewhat with the times and new artists.

Pete Wells

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 May, 2018, 11:23:39 AM
Ben Willsher is a fat more versatile artist than I'd realised.

Harsh, he's let himself go a bit but I've seen bigger!  :lol:

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Pete Wells on 27 May, 2018, 12:01:28 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 May, 2018, 11:23:39 AM
Ben Willsher is a fat more versatile artist than I'd realised.

Harsh, he's let himself go a bit but I've seen bigger!  :lol:

Oops  :lol:
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

I'm kind of curious how the marketing meeting went for this.
"We don't want to market the property into a niche where the only readers are men in their fifties so we're updating his look and setting it in the modern day and it will be published in Match of the Day magazine."

IndigoPrime

Football mag seems the ideal place to put it. Readers may welcome it, and feel nostalgic. Then they see graphic novels are coming up and buy it for their kids – or themselves. Seems smart to me. (The other option I'd have looked at is the Atomic Robo model – free online, followed by print editions. But that's risky.)

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 27 May, 2018, 01:13:27 PM
I'm kind of curious how the marketing meeting went for this. "We don't want to market the property into a niche where the only readers are men in their fifties so we're updating his look and setting it in the modern day and it will be published in Match of the Day magazine."

I'm guessing you, like me*, are spectacularly unqualified to speak on behalf of little boys who like football.

What getting picked last at games does qualify me to do is look-up stuff on the internet while it's 22° outside, and that tells me Match Of The Day Magazine is aimed at 8-14 year olds, gives away free posters and Yu-Gi-Oh!-style game cards, and most covers feature minions, meerkats, and/or Big-Head versions of football personalities.

The 2017 ABCs say it sold 38,000 copies per week, around the same as LEGO Friends and Disney Princess, and almost twice as many as its nearest rival, Match.

* and most others here