Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Terminator: Dark Fate. What was the point of that? Basically a re-skinning of the (metal) bones of T2. Competently directed and assembled, but lacking any originality or, frankly, excitement with the added handicap of some credulity-stretching plot logic (or lack of it).

If the box office is as lacklustre as Frank suggests above, it's high time this franchise was rested indefinitely.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Watched The King on Netflix and anyone who loves historical based stories will love this.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

wedgeski

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 02 November, 2019, 05:48:16 PM
The first book of The Dark Tower (which was 5 separate stories published in the late 60's, early 70's) are hard going. Once you get to the 2nd book, The Drawing of The Three, it's rockets along and is truly one of the best series of books ever written.

Throw out Your Game of Thrones, this is the real stuff.
70's-80's I think you'll find. :)

I loved the Dark Tower up until its [spoiler]meta turning point[/spoiler], then went a bit cold on it.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: wedgeski on 03 November, 2019, 02:11:57 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 02 November, 2019, 05:48:16 PM
The first book of The Dark Tower (which was 5 separate stories published in the late 60's, early 70's) are hard going. Once you get to the 2nd book, The Drawing of The Three, it's rockets along and is truly one of the best series of books ever written.

Throw out Your Game of Thrones, this is the real stuff.
70's-80's I think you'll find. :)

I loved the Dark Tower up until its [spoiler]meta turning point[/spoiler], then went a bit cold on it.

You are correct on publication. King says that he wrote the first story in the late 60's and then shelved it.

MacabreMagpie

I've been a bit hot and cold on the Dark Tower book series, I really liked books 1, 3 and 5 but didn't like 2 that much and ended up giving up on 4 and reading the Wikipedia entry to finish it's story. 5 I thought was really good but I also feel like my interest in the story had been stretched by that point.

I did however just read another King novel for the first time, due to [spoiler]a character from it[/spoiler] that shows up in book 5 which has reinvigorated my interest a little.

Haven't seen the movie.

Frank

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 November, 2019, 11:10:45 PM
Terminator: Dark Fate. What was the point of that? Basically a re-skinning of the (metal) bones of T2. Competently directed and assembled, but lacking any originality or, frankly, excitement with the added handicap of some credulity-stretching plot logic (or lack of it).

If the box office is as lacklustre as Frank suggests above, it's high time this franchise was rested indefinitely.

Even if you don't stick around for Red Letter Media's review of the movie, the first 5 minutes are a hilarious attempt to explain the history of the sequels, which explains the problems this movie faces:

https://youtu.be/Hugsy-pQ61U

Keef Monkey

As many on this thread have already said, Paddington 2 was marvelous. Great fun, lots of heart (we were both having a bit of a warm-hearted cry by the end, although the tears had started a lot earlier for my wife - a cute bear in mild peril was always going to be a tearjerker for her, it was the [spoiler]possible drowning that pushed her over the edge I think[/spoiler]).

Brilliant films those, and very different to the previous night's viewing, when we watched Mother!

It's been out for a while but I was glad we got to go in totally cold (the one trailer we'd seen thankfully didn't give anything away at all) so to preserve that experience for others I'll spoiler tag most of this!

I thought it was fantastic, and we were totally riveted throughout. I have to admit that [spoiler]it was fairly far in before it hit me what it was actually doing, but once the biblical theme was in my mind it was fun to think back on previous events in the film and realize what they had all represented. The post-film conversation was great, piecing it all together.

It's an incredibly stressful film, and seems designed to create maximum anxiety (it really feels like a surreal stress dream, and I'm not sure I've seen anything that nails that peculiar logic quite as well).

It's very unusual, and not very subtle, but feels supremely confident in its execution and in what it's doing and telling an epic, biblical story using a claustrophobic domestic setting as a microcosm is very ambitious and personally I think it worked brilliantly.[/spoiler]

I would imagine it's the ultimate marmite film though and can see why many people would hate it, but I've never really seen anything like it and was bowled over (although the high stress levels mean I may not revisit in a hurry).

radiator

I'd put the two Paddingtons in my top 10 movies of the last decade, along with Dredd, Mad Max: Fury Road and Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Perfect movies all.

Speaking of Wilderpeople, I caught the new Taika Waititi film Jojo Rabbit over the weekend.

First thing to note is that it's not a film for everyone - the melding of tone and subject matter is undoubtedly going to rub some people the wrong way, and Waititi's offbeat sense of humour isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. That said, it absolutely blew me away. Saw it with a sold out crowd in a giant theater and it absolutely brought the house down.

I can't imagine the kind of confidence and audacity required to blend such seemingly disparate tones - from laugh out loud goofiness, to gnawing tension and dread, to emotional gutpunch and back to hilarity again, often in the space of 5 minutes of screen time, but it somehow works and feels like a coherent vision.

Waititi is the real deal. Can't wait to see it again.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 November, 2019, 09:25:53 AM
As many on this thread have already said, Paddington 2 was marvelous. Great fun, lots of heart (we were both having a bit of a warm-hearted cry by the end, although the tears had started a lot earlier for my wife - a cute bear in mild peril was always going to be a tearjerker for her, it was the [spoiler]possible drowning that pushed her over the edge I think[/spoiler]).

Brilliant films those, and very different to the previous night's viewing, when we watched Mother!

It's been out for a while but I was glad we got to go in totally cold (the one trailer we'd seen thankfully didn't give anything away at all) so to preserve that experience for others I'll spoiler tag most of this!

I thought it was fantastic, and we were totally riveted throughout. I have to admit that [spoiler]it was fairly far in before it hit me what it was actually doing, but once the biblical theme was in my mind it was fun to think back on previous events in the film and realize what they had all represented. The post-film conversation was great, piecing it all together.

It's an incredibly stressful film, and seems designed to create maximum anxiety (it really feels like a surreal stress dream, and I'm not sure I've seen anything that nails that peculiar logic quite as well).

It's very unusual, and not very subtle, but feels supremely confident in its execution and in what it's doing and telling an epic, biblical story using a claustrophobic domestic setting as a microcosm is very ambitious and personally I think it worked brilliantly.[/spoiler]

I would imagine it's the ultimate marmite film though and can see why many people would hate it, but I've never really seen anything like it and was bowled over (although the high stress levels mean I may not revisit in a hurry).

I've already waxed lyrical about mother! a page or two ago but yes, it is utterly fantastic. Most of the scenes (particularly later on) feel like they must have been extremely difficult to pull off and nothing feels like they fell short.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 November, 2019, 11:10:45 PM

I haven't seen it, and will unlikely do so until one dark drunk night 10 years from now when I can't find the TV remote, but I did read a spoiler heavy review - I genuinely guffawed reading the detail about "Carl".
WTF were they thinking?

Watched a few horror movies over the Halloween season, including a new Blu-ray purchase of 'Incident in a Ghostland'.
It was alright. Slick, sick and has a twist that just about works, but I don't think I'll revisit it anytime soon.
I was blown away by Martyrs a few years back, and Laugier's name probably heightened expectations.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 04 November, 2019, 06:02:22 PM
I've already waxed lyrical about mother! a page or two ago but yes, it is utterly fantastic. Most of the scenes (particularly later on) feel like they must have been extremely difficult to pull off and nothing feels like they fell short.

Yeah it all flows so well that in the moment I didn't even consider how technically ambitious it is and how difficult a lot of the staging must have been. It's quite the accomplishment!

Watched The Witches last night, not the Roald Dahl adaptation but the '60s Hammer thing. It was enjoyable enough and had some unease in places, even if the ritual scenes got a few unintentional laughs. It's clearly going for a Wicker Man finale level of unease and terror but is so over the top and hysterically acted that it doesn't really get there and just winds up feeling very quaint. Enjoyed it though.

Rately

Re-watched Silence Of The Lambs.

Wow. Had forgotten just what a fantastic movie it is, and by modern standards, how lean and fast moving it is.

I've seen it about twenty times, at a conservative estimate, but every time Howard Shore's score tinkles into my ears, I'm watching attentively, as if it's my first viewing.

radiator

Quote from: Rately on 05 November, 2019, 11:34:57 AM
Re-watched Silence Of The Lambs.

Wow. Had forgotten just what a fantastic movie it is, and by modern standards, how lean and fast moving it is.

I've seen it about twenty times, at a conservative estimate, but every time Howard Shore's score tinkles into my ears, I'm watching attentively, as if it's my first viewing.

It's a classic. It might be controversial to say, but Anthony Hopkin's Hannibal Lecter is probably the least interesting thing in the movie for me. Always find his performance very hammy and a bit over the top compared to the genuinely frightening/quotable Buffalo Bill and other lower level creeps like Chilton.

Tiplodocus

"I had a ticket for Disney on Ice" or was that the book?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tjm86

Quote from: radiator on 05 November, 2019, 04:24:46 PM

It's a classic. It might be controversial to say, but Anthony Hopkin's Hannibal Lecter is probably the least interesting thing in the movie for me. Always find his performance very hammy and a bit over the top compared to the genuinely frightening/quotable Buffalo Bill and other lower level creeps like Chilton.

Not controversial at all.  I don't know if you ever watched Manhunter but Cox's performance is far more restrained and potentially chilling.  In fact I always consider it a far superior film to Silence on so many levels.