Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 08 November, 2019, 06:21:25 PM
... just another Terminator flick.

Those four simple words really say something about where we're at with movies in general.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Mister Pops on 08 November, 2019, 07:25:14 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 08 November, 2019, 06:21:25 PM
... just another Terminator flick.

Those four simple words really say something about where we're at with movies in general.

Yeah, that feels true to me. Or maybe I'm just getting old and jaded.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Rately

Quote from: radiator on 06 November, 2019, 05:02:14 PM
Quote from: Rately on 06 November, 2019, 02:39:55 PM
Quote from: radiator on 05 November, 2019, 04:24:46 PM
Quote from: Rately on 05 November, 2019, 11:34:57 AM
Re-watched Silence Of The Lambs.

Wow. Had forgotten just what a fantastic movie it is, and by modern standards, how lean and fast moving it is.

I've seen it about twenty times, at a conservative estimate, but every time Howard Shore's score tinkles into my ears, I'm watching attentively, as if it's my first viewing.

It's a classic. It might be controversial to say, but Anthony Hopkin's Hannibal Lecter is probably the least interesting thing in the movie for me. Always find his performance very hammy and a bit over the top compared to the genuinely frightening/quotable Buffalo Bill and other lower level creeps like Chilton.

For me, the best performance in the whole movie is Ted Levine. He is utterly terrifying and pathetic. A great actor, and I've enjoyed him in everything from Monk to the remake of The Hills Have Eyes. A superb actor.

There was an episode of the podcast I Was There Too with the actor who played the senator's daughter/kidnap victim where she talks about working with Levine - great stuff.

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/silence-of-the-lambs-with-brooke-smith/

What a fantastic interview. Thanks so much for the heads up!

Worth a listen for her description of Ted Levine's inspiration for playing the role, and his response to the casting agent during his audition!

Also, what a career she has had!

dweezil2

It's taken me long enough to get my arse into gear to finally sit down and watch it, but watch it I have and I must say that You Were Never Really Here comes highly recommended.

An unflinching, and commendably unglamorous, performance from Joaquin Phoenix, with suitably sweaty and oblique direction from the great Lynne Ramsay.

Pheonix's character has just enough twisted morality and humanity to make his descent in to extreme vengeful violence utterly compelling.

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Colin YNWA

So like do I have to hand my Nerd Badge back in if I admit that until watching it again tonight I'd never realised that Starman is a John Carpenter film? If so I'll no mention it.

MacabreMagpie

Watched the new Terminator in Harrogate last night as I wasn't leaving until today.

It was watchable. I think I'd have enjoyed it more if they didn't have Arnie in it as a Terminator as it feels like each new sequel is just trying to find new ways to shoe-horn him in that don't always make sense. And with this one, it felt like they were trying to [spoiler]hit the same emotional beats as T2[/spoiler] so it felt a bit samey by the end.

Some impressive and ambitious set pieces though, which are well-realised even if the CG (outside the terminators) wasn't entirely convincing. And it was fun watching Sarah Connor on screen again.

[spoiler]I can live with the John Connor twist, even though I'd be more comfortable with it as a "what if?" kinda story. It does undermine all the efforts of T2 for him to simply just be shot in a bar by a Terminator soon after.[/spoiler]

Honestly I can't say as I feel that enthusiastic about recommending it but I think they achieved what they set out to do.

radiator

Parasite.

There's a lot to like about this film - it's very well made and I was very entertained for the first two thirds - the entire second act is basically one long scene of suspense - but it started to lose me a bit towards the end, with one absurd plot twist after another that stretched my suspension of disbelief far beyond breaking point.

Ultimately, having now seen both this and Snowpiercer, I just don't think I like Bong Joon Ho's style of filmmaking all that much. I'm a very literal-minded person when it comes to films. Subtext is all well and good, but I don't like it when theme and metaphor dominates the storytelling and takes things into a more fantastical, dream logic kind of place. Strip away all of the commentary on poverty and inequality and you're left with a basic suspense thrill that doesn't really hold up.

MacabreMagpie

The Aeronauts.

Found it very enjoyable and definitely a movie worth seeing on the big screen... beware though, if you have any kind of severe aversion to heights, you might be holding onto your seat cushions at times! There were a few scenes in this that definitely made you feel like you were there.

broodblik

Anna, a nice action spy movie in the time just before the fall of the Soviet Union. It is a Luc Besson movie.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 15 November, 2019, 06:52:43 PM
beware though, if you have any kind of severe aversion to heights, you might be holding onto your seat cushions at times!

TBH, there were a couple of bits in the trailer that made me feel quite queasy. Possibly not one for me!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mattofthespurs

Little Monsters (Sky)
This was great fun. A fairly lightweight addition to Zombie cinema but enjoyable non the less. The bit at the end where [spoiler]the zombies play along to 'If you're happy and you know it' song is priceless[/spoiler]. A decent film

Le Mans '66. I'm no petrolhead (can't even drive a car) but this was great. Two and a half hours flew by with great performances from Jason Bourne and Batman. Especially by Batman. The sound especially demands that the movie be watched in a cinema. Really enjoyed it.

Frank

Bone Tomahawk-guy wonders whether his aesthetic might be applied to the seventies crime thriller. Charley Varrick by way of Dead Presidents

I had the cold last week and watched Paddington 2* to make myself feel better, so I thought I'd balance that out with Dragged Across Concrete, a casually, shockingly violent film that makes the ballistic projectile injuries of Starship Troopers look documentary in tone.

Characters say and do vile things without comment from the filmmaker, which feels like an endorsement, but watching the film all the way to the end doesn't leave you with that impression. Zahler shows you what his characters do but isn't interested in telling you how he feels about that. 

This is a crime thriller with a shoot-out as its centrepiece, but there's more character work going on here than in Best Picture nominees. One minor player gets a length of backstory devoted to her that's the best example of the old horror dictum of getting to know someone so that when they get popped it has real effect that I've seen since Aliens (1986).

* I managed to make it all the way to the end without greetin', but when everyone clubs together to fly Aunt Lucy over and he buries his beaming face in her old lady overcoat ... you'd have to be deid!

Tiplodocus

Well me and (not so) Tiny Tips right enjoyed Terminator: Dark Fate. We agreed that we'd have enjoyed it more if they hadn't put nearly every reveal in the trailers. After the brutal opening it sort of treads water and feels a bit flat a bit until you kbow who arrives and by the final three chained action scenes I was well and truly pumped.

I did laugh at stuff seemingly determined to upset republicans ;[spoiler] "It's your womb that they are frightened of", a terminator in Border Patrol uniform slicing through immigrants, and that undocumented immigrants save the world. [/spoiler]

But on the other side of the fence, to annoy the liberals... the same [spoiler]Terminator is a Mexican and also slices through Border Patrol staff, Carl's right to bear arms means our heroes are equipped to take on the Terminator.[/spoiler]

Get off the fence!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Really liked Doctor Sleep the other day, and aside from a couple of changes from the book that I felt were made purely for tidyness sake rather than impact thought it was a great adaptation of the book with brilliant performances all round. Not sure how most people will find it just coming to it as a sequel to The Shining (but judging by the box office not many people have sadly). I think Flanagan is one of those rare film-makers who really gets King's writing and how to put it on a screen (even Hill House feels like a great Stephen King novel), maybe Darabont is the only other time his work as been paired with a director so well (The Mist is still the daddy of King adaptations for me).

Also watched Jumanji last night (not the 'new' new one but the first new one, and the third one if you count Zathura which I absolutely do) and thought it was great fun. Laughed a lot, it had a ton of heart and a thrilling adventure, the cast were all clearly having a blast and doing a great job, it was a bit of a joy really and just the pick-me-up we needed after a weekend in loaded with the cold and feeling sorry for ourselves.

Oh and I rewatched Terminator: Genisys, which I still don't think is as bad as most people think it is, but I still wouldn't strongly defend particularly! It's definitely in my guilty pleasures pile.

Tiplodocus

I recall enjoying Genisys in a greatest hits kind of way and liked the poppinginto scenes from previous movies thing. Now it has shown up on Netflix I think I'll give it a second watch. But yeah, I don't think I'd go so far as to defend it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!