Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 May, 2020, 02:31:20 PM
Perhaps the repro is a nightmare, or Tharg's already happy with the existing War Machine trades in the wild. I dunno.
The print version has been unavailable for such a long time, I really hoped it would pop up here as it hits the sweet spot for me nostalgia wise (even if not for everyone's quality standard).

sintec

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 May, 2020, 02:31:20 PM
a pseudo trade from Fleetway Quality (with a truly risible, sexist cover).

Wow that's pretty awful. Seems someone thought "what'll get the target audiences attention? I know boobs - yep that'll do it".  Classy, not.

The Monarch

thats not a good tyranny cover shes not even green for godsakes? :lol:

moogie101

No more Slaine, must be fake lol

As a lapsed reader since the nineties there's a lot of stuff in the extension I've never read so looking forward to these.

IndigoPrime

One thing I'm finding interesting about this collection is that, for the most part, even the content I'm not personally keen on is objectively good. That was less the case for the Dredd collection (where multiple editorials would basically admit the book you'd paid ten quid for was shit). I hope this extension succeeds, too. It feels like the first 80 books were the "heavy hitters", and now we're into the best kind of fan service, digging deeper into 2000 AD's history to unearth top-quality strips that don't happen to have a big brand.

Also, I was going to do a bit Red Seas re-read with my digital copies. I'm tempted now to just hang on until next year and read the entire thing in glorious HC. Thanks to whoever compiled this list (Matt?), because it's fab. (Also, the 111 is an oddity. Perhaps that's just the final decision on length. Or perhaps it'll do a Marvel and continue on a bit further.)

rs_jr

i wish they could've squeezed two volumes of Finn into the extension:(

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 May, 2020, 07:44:24 PM
One thing I'm finding interesting about this collection is that, for the most part, even the content I'm not personally keen on is objectively good.

Yup, that's a great point. Various books that have made me think 'Nope, not for me' but not one that prompted 'That? What the hell were they thinking?'
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 May, 2020, 07:44:24 PM
Also, the 111 is an oddity. Perhaps that's just the final decision on length. Or perhaps it'll do a Marvel and continue on a bit further.

As long as they can keep the quality up I'm game. There are still going to be some loose ends to wrap up when we hit 111. I notice there's no more Fall Of Deadworld on the list for example, which is a shame as there's easily another books worth of that.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: oddballuk on 27 May, 2020, 10:24:19 AM
So I asked again about the extension and here's what they said!

QuoteHey Dan,
Here is a list of the issues which will feature in the extension, please take into account that the issue order is subject to change, however:
81 - Flesh
82 - Firekind
83 - The Red Seas
84 - Lobster Random
85 - Savage:  The Guv'nor
86 - Ten-Seconders
87 - The Red Seas Vol 2
88 - Brink
89 - Fiends of the Eastern Front
90 - Greysuit
91 - VCs
92 - Indigo Prime
93 - The Red Seas Vol 3
94 - Dominion
95 - Savage:  Rise Like Lions
96 - Jaegir
97 - Grey Area
98 - Defoe
99 - Inigo Prime Vol 2
100 - VC's Vol 2
101 - The Red Seas Vol 4
102 - Mercy Heights
103 - Absalom
104 - Brink Vol 2
105 - The Order
106 - Grey Area Vol 2
107 - Defoe Vol 2
108 - Tales of Telguuth
109 - Tyranny Rex
110 - Judge Dredd:  the Small House
111 - Strontium Dog:  Repo Men
Hope this helps!

Okay, I've heard of some of these but don't know them, if that makes sense.  Red Seas for instance, I've heard is good.  Glad to see there will be a Savage book after The Guv'nor, that means I can pass my Taking Liberties and The Guv'nor softcovers onto a friend.  I get that Firekind is popular but I don't know anything about it, no Leviathan which is unfortunate, or either that it's melded with another title. 

Overall it seems like a decent mix.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

Leviathan is superb but really short. Hard to know what you'd twin it with. Possibly Cradlegrave, but even that feels like a push. FWIW, a HC of the original run exists and does pop up on eBay at non-ridiculous prices.

moly

With issue 111 being announced it does hint they could extend it further but would there be much more left, apart from the dead, mean areana, Harlem heroes, leviathan and more recent stuff

TordelBack

Hey now THAT is an extension.  I'll be cherry picking up so much of that list that it's  hardly worth my time doing it - a sub would be the better option.  Other than Greysuit,  I'd enjoy having HCs of every one of those.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 May, 2020, 10:57:19 PM
Leviathan is superb but really short. Hard to know what you'd twin it with. Possibly Cradlegrave, but even that feels like a push.

Necronauts.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 May, 2020, 09:32:14 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 May, 2020, 10:57:19 PM
Leviathan is superb but really short. Hard to know what you'd twin it with. Possibly Cradlegrave, but even that feels like a push.

Necronauts.

Having just read Stone Island I'd give that one a shout out. Very different type of horror but all those suggested are and Stone Island has the Edginton connection.

leethomson

Quote from: moly on 28 May, 2020, 08:48:38 AM
With issue 111 being announced it does hint they could extend it further but would there be much more left, apart from the dead, mean areana, Harlem heroes, leviathan and more recent stuff
I do think they would have to concentrate on newer stuff as it comes out, as a lot of the tier one content has already been included. The only significant classic-era omissions from my point of view are Zenith and Summer Magic. Mazeworld and Button Man would be nice, but are creator owned.