Main Menu

Anderson-Shamballa

Started by Zarjazzer, 17 January, 2010, 01:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Got it on download.(where I could also donate at the same time to haiti fund), Alan Grant writer and Arthur Ransom art. Parts of it are genuinely incredible such as the short stories "Reasons to be Cheerful" , "The Jesus Syndrome" and "The Witch? Report" however other parts especially the initial tale "Shamballa" just seemed too full of Grants flights of whimsy,(giants? undeground cities in Tibet?) to really keep me interested. The art though throughout is just incredible. Ranson is a genius.

"Satan" however I felt almost cheated. The ending did not justify the otherwise excellent build up.

"Revolution" another good tale but the "Protest" again too whimsical for my tastes.

I'm certainly glad I got it and will be re-reading I'm sure.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Colin YNWA

I'm a big fan of the stories you've mentioned. Of coursed Arthur Ransom's was a joy but also I really Grant's ideas were pretty cool. I remember at the the time it felt the direction he was taking Anderson in felt fairly radical. Having read them not to long ago while I don't feel they read as quite as exciting (in terms of direction) they still stand up.