Main Menu

Goosebump moments in comics.

Started by Roger Godpleton, 11 September, 2009, 03:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

All of the Love & Rockets stories where Izzy talks to the Devil (or whoever it is). They really cast a pall over the whole strip as every event is called into question.

Staying with Los Bros, after reading Beto's Speak of the Devil it was about 6 months before I read anything else by my favourite cartoonist because it was that disturbing.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Buttonman on 11 September, 2009, 10:32:50 PM

Arh man that scene is just amazing. I've never read any 'Y' mainly cos it started when I was all but out of comics and never caught up with it. 'Comics should be good' ran this entire scene as one of it 'Cool moments' and even without the context and attachment developed over the previous 59 issues that bit alone in isolation almost made me blub like a child at my office desk when I read it. So moving.

Mike Gloady

The last two or three pages of Transmetropolitan.  Particularly Spider's last words.  Cried like a baby, grinned like a moron.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Konstantin: "The only way you'll have a chance against me is if you shoot me in the back and we both know the Hero of the Romanovs hasn't got the stomach for that."
Dante: "Heroes be damned,"

"Because I hate you."

Mike Gloady

Quote from: Gavin_Leahy on 12 September, 2009, 09:49:41 AM
Konstantin: "The only way you'll have a chance against me is if you shoot me in the back and we both know the Hero of the Romanovs hasn't got the stomach for that."
And after at Konstantin's funeral when Dmitri says that Konstantin showed them what it took to be a true Romanov and that horrible, terrifyingly smug grin on Dante's face.  I was really worried he'd been completely corrupted by them.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

IAMTHESYSTEM

Saint of killers: Preacher-'There's no meaner in hell-go look'

Dredd's 'Showbusiness' speech in America

'And it's never over.' from Horror by Kieren Gillan and Paul J holden.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Goaty

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 12 September, 2009, 10:39:11 AM
Quote from: Gavin_Leahy on 12 September, 2009, 09:49:41 AM
And after at Konstantin's funeral when Dmitri says that Konstantin showed them what it took to be a true Romanov and that horrible, terrifyingly smug grin on Dante's face.  I was really worried he'd been completely corrupted by them.

the start of Tsars War, first time you saw Dante in battlefield!

volo

When Dredd killed Chief Judge Griffin.  :'(

WoD

Goosebumps of a sort (and ties in with the scary comic thread too), but in Something Wicked (#3 I think...could be #2) there's a nasty little story about a rambler who stumbles up on something...the last panel in that one actually made me pause!

The Legendary Shark

From what I remember, this was the first ever comic book moment to give me actual goosebumps:

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Even though I wasn't actually a fan of the series, the page turn reveal in Sandman #7, after Destiny has destroyed Morpheus' ruby, is breath-taking. I was alone in my room in a hall of residence when I read that issue, and I actually remember exclaiming aloud "Fuck me" and putting the comic down for a minute before continuing.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

johnnystress

Sandman, (once it gets into gear) is possibly the best comic you're ever going to read

So many "goosebump" moments

It's been criticized an awful lot for being pretentious, in a nerdy goth way ,
But,as comics go.... i...deep breath,,, think it's better than Watchmen

there..  i said it

caveat--2nd Favorite is Love and Rockets

Paul faplad Finch

Sandman got me reading American comics. I'd loved Preacher of course but that was as far as it went with me until I got hold of the first Sandman arc. From reading Sandman I moved on to Lucifer and became fascinated with the Vertigo magic/horror titles. Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, House Of Mystery, Madame Xanadu, Books of Magic. I'm picking them all up in trades but I'm holding off on reading some of the later ones. I'm kind of interested in reading them in roughly chronological order. I realise that inter-title continuty is looser in these books than the more mainstream superhero titles but I like the idea of seeing the range evolve over the years. The rather erratic system DC has for releasing these things is slowing down the plan somewhat though.

But yes, Sandman. More goosebumps than you can shake a stick at. My particular favourite is the issue set in a cafe where the staff and diners all go completely insane over the course of about a day, and all pretence of civilization is stripped from them. The series explored much wider and more epic themes as it developed but that story, run very early on in the comcs life, was the one where Gaiman really showed what the title was capable of.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: johnnystress on 13 September, 2009, 02:12:24 AM
Sandman, (once it gets into gear) is possibly the best comic you're ever going to read

Really? I stuck it for about thirty issues before concluding that the Emperor was most definitely naked.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

chris_askham

Ace Garp taking the Night Light Flight. It was one of my first progs (if not THE first) and i didn't know the characters, but it still had a massive impact.