Main Menu

Comics about Romans?

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 February, 2010, 12:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

My collection has a gap, one I'm not sure can be filled but thought I might was well as the question. I have comics featuring Vikings, World Wars 1 and 2, swashbucklers, jungle men, cowboys, dinosaurs all this stuff but I don't have any comics featuring Roman's (Asterix aside I'm talking more action comics). The thing is I'm not sure there are any. Well I'm sure there are but not necessary in the English language.

Is anybody aware of any comics about Roman's apart from Blackhawk? I really can't think of any? Oh and I'm not counting Trigan Empire either. Anybody any ideas?

TordelBack

From the 1960's Eagle, Heros the Spartan by Frank Bellamy and (I think) Tom Tully is a classic - don't be deceived by the title, Heros is a Roman centurion, albeit from Sparta.  Good luck finding it - my Dad had some mildewed copies from that era, and I think I have an annual somewhere with a bit, but I don't think it's been collected.

Jim_Campbell

I think Mr Clements may be along shortly to tell you about an exciting new graphic novel set in Roman Britain of which he has some knowledge.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,27061.msg475512.html#msg475512

Hang around for a bit and there'll be another rather good one.

Edit- Heh! Cheers, Jim!

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 15 February, 2010, 12:12:00 PM

My goodness, a mere 12 minutes after the original post - do you have sort of ESP, Lordship? Very impressive.

Tweak72

Pax Romana was a very cool recent Time travel/alternitive history story by Jonathan Hickman. It has been collected as a trade apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pax_Romana_(comics)
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Colin YNWA

Thanks for all the tips. That Heros of Spartan seems just the ticket just need to find some kinda contact details for this fella who reprinted it to see if its within the bounds of possibility.

I am looking forward to the up coming graphic novel from the fellas off the board which is what got me started on actually wondering what else was out there. That trailer for Centurian reminded me last night of actually do something about it.

TordelBack

Nice link, johnnystress.  It seems incredible that all the Bellamy New Testament stories haven't been reprinted ad nauseum...  I suspect they're too close to the actual gospels to appeal to the hardcore religious market.  Y'know, full of forgiveness, occupied territories, swarthy protagonists and a Holy Land that looks suspiciously like it's in the Middle East and not Kansas.  I mean, isn't that whole region a bit iffy, breeding ground for terrorists and all that?  

I was very lucky to have a Dad who had bin-bags full of tatty 50's and 60's Eagles and a school library with immeasurable mounds of Look and Learns that allowed me to read lots of this stuff as a nipper.  

Colin YNWA

To be honest its very strange that most of Frank Bellamy's stuff hasn't been reprinted. There's so much great stuff ho did (based on the little I've read) and so little of it is readily available these days. Shame.

Emperor

Phantom Patrol had Romans in, it was even partly reprinted in 2000AD, now in a fancy new reprint with a Chris Weston cover (discussed here abouts).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

johnnystress

and lets not forget

if he hasnt already been mentioned?

Cthulouis

Does Doctor Who and the Iron Legion count?

Dandontdare

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 15 February, 2010, 12:15:07 PM

My goodness, a mere 12 minutes after the original post - do you have sort of ESP, Lordship? Very impressive.

Nah, they just check this forum constantly as a work-displacement activity to avoid ever finishing any of these projects!  :D

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 February, 2010, 07:18:17 PM
Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 15 February, 2010, 12:15:07 PM

Nah, they just check this forum constantly as a work-displacement activity to avoid ever finishing any of these projects!  :D

That's the one.