Main Menu

So Frank Miller has cancer?

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 14 April, 2015, 01:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry if it's been covered here before but I only found out today. He looks awful too;  I believe he can't even walk any more.  Now, I've slagged the guy off mercilessly here in the past (and I pretty much hate everything he's done for about the last 15 years), but Jesus,  I wouldn't wish that on him. 

So for me at least,  I think i should admit while he lost it in later years,  what he did for comics in the eighties was nothing short of revolutionary and I hope he makes it through.  And if he doesn't,  his bad stuff may be very bad but his good stuff is very good and he'll always be the father of the Batman we all know and love today.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Max Headroom

Sad news. 'The Dark Knight Returns' remains my favourite piece of comic book fiction. Ever.

Professor Bear

I say we agree to blame all the tosh he's done in the last few years on the drugs and wish him all the best.

My favorite Frank Miller project is Robocop 2.  Every time I watch it I see it anew and come away with fresh insights - we can ask no more of truly great art.

Skullmo

When did he let people know? Is it terminal? :(

Very sad news
It's a joke. I was joking.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Hold up, where has he said this?

He obviously looked frail in recent pictures, but speculating about someone's health isn't really on.

Grey M@a

I can't see anything official and most the stories you see are from August 2014 - December 2014 where people mention its cancer but there isn't an official source.

Not looked to hard though, just had a quick scan about.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Grey M@a on 14 April, 2015, 06:22:31 PM
I can't see anything official and most the stories you see are from August 2014 - December 2014 where people mention its cancer but there isn't an official source.

Not looked to hard though, just had a quick scan about.

actually you may be right, and should have looked harder myself.  What I took to be news may just have been lots of speculation.  In which case I offer my sincere apologies to all of you and wish I could delete this thread.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Drugs don't make you a homophobic, racist and ableist bell end. But they do help make it more visible.

Grey M@a

Looking at the recent pictures of Frank though, I can see why some would think he was potentially ill. Seems to have shed a lot of weight

Link Prime

From some cursory Googling, it does appear that Miller is ill, and I'm sorry to hear it.

Some of his more recent work has been derided (I will say that I didn't much care for All Star, but won't comment on other stuff I haven't read, like Holy Terror), nevertheless, the vast majority of the comic work I've read either written of drawn by him was exceptionally good.

I hope he gets through this. He's a relatively young man (58), with potentially a lot more to offer the world of comics.

Karl Stephan

I think these days, if you haven't offended someone on the internet, then you've failed as an artist.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Bollocks. Offending people on the Internet does not require any creativity or even effort.
You may quote me on that.

Karl Stephan

Quote from: King Pops on 16 April, 2015, 08:47:38 PM
Offending people on the Internet does not require any creativity or even effort.

Exactly. It probably means you haven't said anything at all and thus you have not expressed yourself.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Karl Stephan on 16 April, 2015, 08:55:10 PM
Quote from: King Pops on 16 April, 2015, 08:47:38 PM
Offending people on the Internet does not require any creativity or even effort.

Exactly. It probably means you haven't said anything at all and thus you have not expressed yourself.

No. Even if you don't say anything, people on the Internet will take offence because they're bored and need something to do between cat vines and the next Avengers trailer.
You may quote me on that.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Karl Stephan on 16 April, 2015, 08:29:53 PM
I think these days, if you haven't offended someone on the internet, then you've failed as an artist.
I'd say that the people you offend is the crucial thing - do you go for groups who already get stomped on on a daily basis (Muslims, gays, the disabled) or do you aim for harder targets? Miller has spent much of his later career punching down.