Main Menu

"Funk you!" -- Prog 1387

Started by The Amstor Computer, 26 April, 2004, 08:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr D

The Amstor Computer

I noticed the bold as well, Logan. It's certainly not limited to Savage, but it's particularly noticeable in this episode.

Some of the emphasis makes sense:

"It's a bit unfortunate. I do hope no one was hurt."

Reading that line aloud, the emphasis is perfectly placed - it's a sarcastic comment, and that particular word should be stressed.

Then you've got lines like:

"And try not to cough, mate. It could make the funks suspicious."

or:

"You must be filmed on camera, so make sure you get out of the Range Rover."

..neither of which make much sense if you read them aloud, emphasising the words that are in bold.

Unsurprisingly, John Wagner's strips in 1387 don't have this problem - but then, IMO, he's always had a great ear for dialogue, and it translates well onto the page.

GermanAndy

Cover: kind of old fashioned, or?

Dredd: how does Wagner do this time and again? laugh out loud stuff. and greatly told by cam.

Savage: so this is Savage. I find the new Mills stuff pretty uninteresting, especially Siddha (urgh), but this was a nice and gritty begining. And my, looks Adlard good in b/w.

AHAB: Compared to this is space operas like synnamon or valkyries pretty dire stuff, innit? I always liked Elsons art. And "don?t call me Ishmael" lol

Low Life: wow.

Chopper: Honestly I thought, why? Why bringing back each and very old character? But this had heart *g

Droid Life: lol

as as I am concernd this fires on all cylinders

Trout

I like the whole prog.

Despite one or two uneasy moments with Savage (is that a snide comment at gay people?) I enjoyed the entire comic.

I repeat: the entire issue of 2000AD was fully thrill-powered.

Wow.

I can't think when I last felt that way.

Well done, Tharg and the droids!

- Trout

Oddboy

Very good prog.

Droid Life: Funny!

Dredd: Class.

Savage: Yeah I also noticed the funking problems with the Savage dialogue, but not to worry.
Also, impressed at how quickly he brought up gays and Christians into the story, wastes no time!
Pretty good though, considering.

A.H.A.B: Very interesting start... who is that beastie at the end?

Low Life: Another very good start - really like Flint's grey style, much prefer his Shakara/Nemeis X style to his coloured Dredd/Aliens style (although both are good!)

Chopper: Brilliant.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Oddboy

Oh, and check the April Competition for the announced winner!

Slippery PD

who is that beastie at the end?
You dont know your Moby Dick very well, Ahab was damaged by Moby Dick in the book and lost most of his crew (IIRC).  He then went after the whale on a rampage.  Im assuming the beastie at the end is the eponomous AHAB......

Droid Life - Funny
Dredd - Funny
Savage - Actually I found this confusing and took a couple of reads to work out if Bill was dead or not.  The arts lovely and Im looking foward to reading more....
AHAB - Nice
Low Life - Nice art (in fact fantastic art).  But this is a damn fine story well done to Rob Williams.  This was the best story for me this prog.....
Chopper - Nice bit about Identity fraud thrown in there, was that on purpose?  Nice...

Yer Slips

Oddboy

Slips - was Bill even *in* this episode?
The guy in the van was called "Bill" (they used quote marks) - he was just a decoy to make the Volgs think Savage is dead.

Slippery PD

I think thats what was confusing me :), all the "Savages" looked very similair....

Yer Slips

IndigoPrime

Didn't he swap places with his brother, who was dying?

Oddboy

To be honest - I read the whole prog quite quickly, on the bus this morning. And I was more concerned about counted dead people then Savage's plot...

Trout

I wish to add: how bloody good is the art throughout this prog?

Bloody good, that's how bloody good.

Okay, the cover's not the best thing Gibbons ever did, but it's a striking image, I always welcome a drawing with depth and it's damn nice to see him back on 2K!

I'm also delighted to see Cam Kennedy back where he belongs - on Dredd. Can we have a longer run of his stuff in future, please?

The dark Charlie Adlard stuff on Savage is a real joy, too. It's very British, isn't it, to use b&w in this way?
Atmospheric and appropriate.

Richard Elson is one of the best artists to emerge in the last few years, and I'm glad to see him continue to work on the Galaxy's Greatest.
That splash page - with due credit to the writer who suggested and scripted it - is just splendid.
All his monsters do look the same, but I don't really mind.

As for Low Life - Henry Flint continues to set the standard a 2000AD artist must attain before we call him genius.
I know I say this a lot, but it's very heart-warming to see an artist with a distinctive style openly - and without shame - display the influences we all love from 2000AD's early days.

Finally, I want to use the word "promising" for the Teague and Goddard art on Chopper.
I confess that I was a little nervous about whether their style would suit it - they were often a little static on Young Middenface - but this was great.
The movement worked very well, the characterisation was spot on and I'm convinced their partnership has visibly matured and blossomed over the last year. (Fnarr, fnarr)

I even love the style of Cat Sullivan's little cartoon.

Overall, I want to congratulate the staff of 2000AD for leading the way with an anthology of such quality.

NB The stories read damn well, too.
It's just the art really left my fishy thrill-receptors almost fried to a batter-covered crisp!

- Trout

Quirkafleeg

Dredd v. funny.... Judge Ellis v. v. Funny...

Savage... hmmm juries out but 'Funt', Oh dear

Trout

Let's remember Savage is set on a parallel Earth.

Maybe that's just the way the funting dastards speak there? :-)

Yeah, it's a wee bit annoying. I'm going to see how it continues.

Bring on the tanks!

- Trout

Oddboy

That's "funk" not "funt" - don't get your stories swearwords muddled up or you'll look like a fool!