Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I'll take 70s rock over hip hop any day.

M.I.K.

Quote from: radiator on 22 August, 2019, 01:16:10 AM
Turn on the radio or walk into any bar here and I guarantee you will almost never hear any music released after 1976. I swear to God I feel like I have to hear Hotel California by The Eagles four or five times a week. It drives me up the wall sometimes.

It's as if punk, new wave and hip hop never happened for huge swathes of this country. It's so absurd to me - this music is almost 50 years old, it belongs in a museum! Maybe time to let it go and move on?

Picture if you will, a man held against his will in a past that's heaven to some but hell to others. If you'd care to join him, there's plenty of room and it's such a lovely place, (or so they say). Mr. Radiator is a man who can check out any time he wants, but who can never truly leave... The Twilight Zone.

Doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo...

TordelBack

Quote from: Funt Solo on 22 August, 2019, 03:11:36 AM
These might make you feel better:
PYNK, 2018

Wow, that Janelle Monae song is fantastic. Cheers, Funt!

JayzusB.Christ

On a similar note, I really hate when I'm having a nice chat in a pub then a live band that nobody asked for arrives and starts setting up. Wagon Wheel, the aforementioned Hotel California, and Little Lion Man will all be blasted in my face until I leave.  And leave I shall.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

Now I lament the loss of this - very few pubs in Manchester will have free live music that appeals to anyone over 18 without a silly haircut. Used to be, on a Saturday night loads of pubs would have a shitkicking R&B* band or  bit of ska.  My mate lives in Horwich, on the edge of the moors near Bolton, and that town still has a high street full of pubs where you'll always find a group of mid-life crisis guys in too-tight jeans playing classic rock and blues.

*When I say R&B, I'm using the original meaning - when did the term change from meaning bluesy rock'n'roll to overproduced auto-tuned soul?

Mardroid

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 August, 2019, 01:57:09 PM
*When I say R&B, I'm using the original meaning - when did the term change from meaning bluesy rock'n'roll to overproduced auto-tuned soul?

I've often wondered this myself. Not that I dislike all soul or the newer kind of music referee to as R&B, but I do find the new application of the term irritating and somewhat inaccurate.

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 25 August, 2019, 02:07:04 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 August, 2019, 01:57:09 PM

I've often wondered this myself. Not that I dislike all soul or the newer kind of music referee to as R&B, but I do find the new application of the term irritating and somewhat inaccurate.

I noticed it sometime in the 1990s - wish they'd picked a new name for their new genre!

Hawkmumbler

Something that doesn't bother me as much as it used too but, more a mild 'Oh' feeling.

Getting a book soggy and a corner of the cover starts to peel.

paddykafka

Bloody telly is bolloxed!  >:( (Though it was given to me back when God was still wearing short trousers, so not really much of a surprise really...)

JamesC

The song 'Save the Best 'till Last' is on the radio.

"Sometimes the snow comes down in June, (I'm willing to accept this)
Sometimes The Sun goes round The Moon" (Fuck off)

The Legendary Shark

"You can work in the woodland today because it's sheltered."

"I could tidy the toolshed, it's an utter tip."

"Nah, go dig all the ground eldar up."

"Okay."

I'm wet through.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JamesC on 24 September, 2019, 10:22:31 AM
The song 'Save the Best 'till Last' is on the radio.

"Sometimes the snow comes down in June, (I'm willing to accept this)
Sometimes The Sun goes round The Moon" (Fuck off)

I've never stopped to consider how shite those lyrics are before. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paddykafka

"Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh no!"

The Legendary Shark

"Where are the paint brushes?"

"In the white bucket in the toolshed."

"I looked but can't find them. It's an absolute tip in there."

"Hnnn. Yes it is."

"My God, look at you! You're wet through."

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

That's good. My favorite, when working in a hotel, was the manager who angrily said to me "You treat this place a hotel!"

Well...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++