Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 20 February, 2018, 10:21:22 AM
Angelic finished off in a kind of abrupt way. Was puzzled that Eye suddenly appeared in the story but still, great art, fun words, simply spurrier.

It's not the end — the series is ongoing, it's just taking a brief break (mainly so Caspar can catch his breath) then it's on to the next story arc.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Theblazeuk

Cool :) I guess the end of this arc still felt a little abrupt given how Eye suddenly reached into the foreground. But looking forward to more flying monkeys and other such creatures! Hopefully they won't run into Gene the Hackman and Them(!).

I also read Sleepless from Image. I love the art, like the idea of sleepless knights and the tired look on the character's face at all times. Nice bit of political intrigue too. Look forward to seeing where it goes, courtly fantasy is not typically my thing but this seems strong.

Theblazeuk

Read all of The Family Trade. Nice little story, lovely art, nothing too weighty. The trump analogy got a bit thin but still generated some laughs, but I won't ruin the few jokes here.

Also stumbled across Regression, by Cullen Bunn of Harrow County. At first I wasn't keen on the art but it grows on you as the story takes its turns down the troubled past lives of the poor protagonist. Still not a patch on Harrow (but few are) in looks but the clean lines and bright colours do make the insetoid abominations striking in a particular way. Beyond that it's a good story with an interesting premise, and a decently horrible cult.

Smith

I finished first volume of Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider,and its not as bad as I gave it credit the first time.It still feels like a failed Deadpool pitch at parts,however.
Im also slowly catching up with Venom.Its got Stegron,so that a big plus.But thats probably just me.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Smith on 23 February, 2018, 02:54:21 PM
Its got Stegron,so that a big plus.But thats probably just me.

Stegron rocks.

Anyway to me me I I

See I buy me comics and ting
I check and read dem and ting
Tell you want I got know and ting
We get good comics going and ting
Nah marvel no style I strictly Image
Nah DC no style, I strictly Indie

See me tell what was good n you hear out to me
True you see me no spelling and ting
See mi in a reviewin' mood
read good comic avoid you heart attack
Gimme likkle fun, make me wring out me worst
Uptown comic ranking

Well that didn't work, but my lastest hail did...

Well almost, alas War Stories 26 see this series end and we'll never know how much better it could have been with a decent artist.

In more interesting new I did an absolutely random pick up, imtrigues by the cover and title I picked up Vinegar Teeth 1 and 2 on a whim (my pull list is getting a little depleted of late as more and more titles I like go on extented hiatous.) anyway this tale of hard boiled 1930s New York(ish) (I think) police detective and his random monster partner is refreshing different and has some cute (well very little about this is cute) story techniques and quirks. Its more comedy than horror but heck its only 4 issues and I'll be seeing this out for sure.

Everything else is pretty much spot on. Lazarus X+66 6 finishes this mini of little vignettes off with an absolute beaut, there's another source book to boot, the main series is back soon as well, so that's good. Kill or be killed 16 and Mage Hero Denied 6 both having nothing new to add, being as they are absolutely chuffin' superb as these series always are. Good as they are I should probably give book of the haul to Angelic 6 as this series ends its opening arc to a fantastic end. How hopefully we're not kept waiting too long for the next, this did read as if Spurrioso had hedged his bets and written it as a solid conclusion incase this didn't pick up.

Alas this most deserving of issues loses out to one of my two ape books from Boom!. Its not Kong on the Planet of the Apes 4, fiun though it is, here General Ursus is a slightly predictable buffoon power hungry chump, perfect for his role in this story I should say. However over in Planet of the Ape Ursus 2 we find him a much, MUCH richer character, who knew that I needed to know more about this character, but this series is exploding all sorts of fascinating and well executed surprises onto the page. Brilliant stuff.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Mata Hari 1
2000ad's own Emma Beeby's take on the story of 'the original Femme Fatale' for Karen Berger's Berger Books imprint for Dark Horse. A 5 part series, this is a wondrous comic. Beautiful packaging and sumptuous art from Ariela Kristantina. That rare thing - an intoxicating and transporting title.

Theblazeuk

Mike Carey's The Highest House is shaping up to be something rather grand.

Colin YNWA

FOOLED YAH!

See I might not have been here for a while and you all thought I'd stopped my stalking you all on this thread. Well no luck for you I'd just tidied my comics away when some friends came around and forgot to review them. I'm rubbish like that. Anyway before you ask waiting two days would have been cliche!

So what did I actually read? Some good stuff actually. Elsewhere 5 is a very promising start to a new arc. Talking of starts I'm liking what Jeff Lemire is doing with Black Hammer, its kinda like what Kurt Busiek does with Astro City (I think not read loads of it) has a main story running away with minis to flesh out the world and Doctor Star and the Kingdom of Lost Tomorrow 1 starts a new such mini really well. Mind can't wait for us to get back to the main series! Soon I believe.

Moon Girl and I miss Devil Dinosaur 28 has a up swing in this very high and miss arc. Snagglepuss 3 is great, Kong on the Planet of the Apes 5 rattles this fun series towards what might be an explosive ending.

Best things. Well its a Mage haul so Mage 7 which real cranks up the stakes is there or there abouts of course but I'll give book of the haul to Kill or be killed 16 as the latest and apparently last arc opens up brilliantly. Both happy and sad that this series will be ending at 20 but you know with Brubaker and Phillips a series won't over stay its welcome.

Unlike me!

Apestrife

Wasn't expecting either of these to be released today. Two nice surprises.

Koshchei the Deathless #4
Continues Mignola's nice weird high form writing Koshchei. Brilliant idea having him visiting a bar in hell and telling Hellboy all about it, everything from murdering countless of people to having his soul trapped in an egg. Love it. Steinbeck doesn't disappoint either, lovely lovely art!

Xerxes: The Fall of the House of Darius and the Rise of Alexander #1
While I think the cover was a bit lackluster, the issue itself delivered. Swords, sandals, gore and fancy things to say. Pleasantly surprised by this issue.

Hawkmumbler

Moi? Posting on the best comic thread out there? MOI?!

But yeah, update times, and lets talk about Astro City #51, Bussiek continues to craft the best cape comic on the stands, never missing a beat for several years now and having such brevity for the genre it's utterly admirable. Class comics. Elsewhere #6 is Jay Faerber. Thats all I have to say. Never has there been a creative more affiliated with consistently high quality and dependable brilliance, and this is no exception. If you're missing Copperhead, pick this book up!

Oh heck, Saint Seiya Sho got a western release? Nice! Adding that to the basket, but in more regular manga news My Hero Academia vol. 12, Princess Jellyfish vol.8, and 7th Garden vol.8 all hit the stands today, all marvellous and lovely comics well worth a look in!

And finally, the ever dependable, wonderful Weekly Shonen Jump #18 (2018)....it's marvellous. Still one of my favourite anthologies on the market.

Colin YNWA

Oh nice to have you back old boy and while Elsewhere is no Copperhead (christ I love that series) it is pretty damned good.

Colin YNWA

Small haul small haul
What yah going to do
Small hail small haul
They need reviewin' too

Nothing bad to report really. Okay Vinegar Teeth 3 could be a bit (lot) clearer in the story telling department, but thinking this one will shine on re-read. Oh and speaking of Elsewhere not being as good as Copperhead, Elsewhere 6 shows that to be the case, but not by much. Love the way this one packs so much in and keeping the story rattling along at an almost Galaxy's Greatest pace. Of the rest any could be BotH but I guess Snaggletooth 3 misses for the art, which is solid but uninspiring, Kill or be Killed 17 as you kinda saw where it was going, same with Doctor Star 2 but both excecuted these tales so very well. The only reason Planet of the Apes Ursus 3 doesn't get it is because we knew the final page. So of course Book of the Haul goes to Moon Girl 29 cos of its final page, which had DEVIL - FUCKIN' - DINOSAUR back, way and indeed - hey about time. I mean we saw it coming, but I didn't dare believe it, thought they were going to pull a fast one, bit no big read is back and that makes fat boy one happy nerd.

As does my haul over all - good stuf!

Edited to add: Another reason Snagglepuss 3 doesn't make it is cos it was Snagglepuss 4 I read this week!

JamesC

Has anyone else tried Dabnett's new DC ongoing title - The Silencer?
Its pretty good if you like straight up action comics with a bit of sci fi thrown in. Its a bit Punisher and a bit Jennifer Blood. Art is by JR Jr. Well worth a look.

Colin YNWA

Not picked that up, but of of the new big two titles that has tickled my fancy is Immortal Hulk by Al Ewing. Not read any of Al's Marvel stuff but this is the first one to catch my eye. Hear the rest has been good,  just not caught my imagination.

Link Prime

Quote from: Apestrife on 04 April, 2018, 07:11:45 PM

Xerxes: The Fall of the House of Darius and the Rise of Alexander #1
While I think the cover was a bit lackluster, the issue itself delivered. Swords, sandals, gore and fancy things to say. Pleasantly surprised by this issue.

Big fan of 300, so had to pick this up.
Great to see that Miller is recovering from ill health and is back doing what he does best.

I've also been enjoying another Dark Horse book recently; Hungry Ghosts by Anthony Bourdain & talented chums. A series of food themed short horror stories in the vein of Vertigo / 2000AD. Really charming 4 issue mini series, with one issue left to go.

I'm not one for standard superhero fare lately, but I gave The Terrifics a shot on a whim, issue 1 and 2 were only €2.99 each.
Decentish, but not really my bag. I'll pick up the next trade of Black Hammer instead of continuing with it.