Main Menu

2000ad portfolio comp - thoughtbubble

Started by antodonnell, 13 August, 2012, 08:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

Wow, I've skimmed this thread a few times and missed that picture post from Bruno. Looks bloody great, that. Wish I could see it clearer,though....hint, hint. :P
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

antodonnell

Solid work Bruno, the story was in prog 1711. I had 2 shots similar on page one. Will consider revising these.

MenschMaschine

Quote from: Jon on 28 August, 2012, 04:58:05 PM
Aw, man, I really have to get started on this....
Now!!!
Quote from: Darren Stephens on 28 August, 2012, 05:19:00 PM
Wow, I've skimmed this thread a few times and missed that picture post from Bruno. Looks bloody great, that. Wish I could see it clearer,though....hint, hint. :P
Thanks mate,I've tried to upload a bigger size but I couldn't,I'm like "a chimp riding on a rocket" when is about computers.
Quote from: antodonnell on 28 August, 2012, 08:33:13 PM
Solid work Bruno, the story was in prog 1711. I had 2 shots similar on page one. Will consider revising these.
Cheers,I guess I won't search out for it,probably Tharg wants to see a different approach on the script so better not to know how Carpenter dealt with it.

antodonnell

QuoteCheers,I guess I won't search out for it,probably Tharg wants to see a different approach on the script so better not to know how Carpenter dealt with it.

In the end some panels of the script are so specific it's hard not to be totally different. My thinking at the moment is what's best for the story. If it happens to be similar then that's fine. It won't be a case of "copying" as I'm thinking through it all and have a different design sensability to Carpenter so it'll be fine.

It's the usual story of getting 100 artists to draw 100 horse. You get 100 different horses but they're all horses :)

RossBam

I shall also have a go at this one - it's just too awesome a prize not to.

I don't want to give too much away of course but here's a couple of my fave panels from page 3:

Jon

Heh, had forgotten about this thread. Getting close now, I guess.

There's a good chance I won't make it cos my game's Alpha-ing on the same weekend, but here's a page anyway...

The Enigmatic Dr X

You are John Higgins love-child and I claim my £5.
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 06 November, 2012, 07:39:21 PM

Indeed. There's a healthy dollop of Dermot Power in that arm in the final panel, too, if'n yer askin' me...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

The colour lighting work in that is breathtakingly good, Jon - gives a great sense of depth, just like in those early Higgins colour stories.  Looking around for a clapping smiley... 

JTurner

Seeing that made me glad that I didn't waste my time entering! Do think that looks a wee bit too much like a judge's arm, though. Odd how such a small detail can jar. Really like the flashback effect.

Jon

Uh, yeah. The colour, you mean? It's more to do with my inability to use Adobe colour profiles properly. Or....yeah, that's what I meant to do!

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 November, 2012, 07:41:27 PM

Indeed. There's a healthy dollop of Dermot Power in that arm in the final panel, too, if'n yer askin' me...

Cheers

Jim

So, the love child of John Higgins and Dermot Power. I'd heard the rumours, of course...

All similarities are unintentional, but years of assimilation and influence have to go somewhere. My trajectory as an 'artist' can be traced more or less directly from Star Wars, 2000 AD and that booklet that came with Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 November, 2012, 08:18:44 PM
The colour lighting work in that is breathtakingly good, Jon - gives a great sense of depth, just like in those early Higgins colour stories.  Looking around for a clapping smiley... 

Thank you very much indeed TordelBack. You are definitely on my Xmas list.*

Quote from: JTurner on 06 November, 2012, 08:20:31 PM
Seeing that made me glad that I didn't waste my time entering! Do think that looks a wee bit too much like a judge's arm, though. Odd how such a small detail can jar. Really like the flashback effect.

Pfh! I don't think it would be a waste of time. For example, I get to claim the tax back on the whole trip to Leeds, should I make it.

I know what you mean about the arm, now that you single it out. If only that were the worst - or only - mistake...

*But it's just a list, really.

CLOUDMAN

Lovely stuff Jon, the colours are fantastic and that break-in scene is *ahem* smashing! Great sense of action and a lovely mood set, good luck to ya!

I only started thinking about having a crack at this myself a few days ago, not sure if I could realistically put out four pages between now and next Friday though. Might put my head down on the weekend and give it a shot...

Spikes

Jon

Quote from: Judge Jack on 08 November, 2012, 12:42:12 AM
Aye, lovely stuff indeed Jon:thumbsup:

Quote from: CLOUDMAN on 07 November, 2012, 11:37:42 PM
Lovely stuff Jon, the colours are fantastic and that break-in scene is *ahem* smashing! Great sense of action and a lovely mood set, good luck to ya!

Thank you both. The encouragement I've had on this has been amazing, both here and over on my FB page.

I only started thinking about having a crack at this myself a few days ago, not sure if I could realistically put out four pages between now and next Friday though. Might put my head down on the weekend and give it a shot...

Wow! I thought I could knock stuff out quickly, but if you manage to pull off such a Dillon-esque feat I'd dearly love to see it. Amazing!

Cpt Rhodes

Looking very good. Good luck for the event.
I know I would baulk at doing a stand up presentation (if that is the way it's done) Couple of stiff drinks might get me through.