Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoxIsntARobot

Quote from: Leigh S on 01 July, 2019, 10:37:39 PM
HP Sauce!

Birmingham's fourth greatest export, after Heavy Metal, Smash and guns...

Sadly long since gone from Aston - my uncle used to work there!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce

Between a different american and a british person in my week:

"What's in HP? It's pretty good!"

"Well, the type of stuff what is delicious."

"Like what?"

"You like A1?"

"Yeah."

"A lot of whatever that is, but more delicious, concentrated, and viscous."

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and sixty-first episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 511-514 of 2000AD, covering February and March 1987 . This time Johnny and Red hit the rapids, Fludd learns to fight, Bad Company gets drunk, and Edgar Allen Poe-body's Nerfect in Judge Dredd!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and sixty-second episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 515-518 of 2000AD, covering March and April 1987 . This time Johnny Alpha finds love on the slaughterfield, Bad Company gets in a final battle, Dredd meets the Ripper, Fludd builds an army, and Sláine gets hitched!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

AlexF

I've been inspired by recent episodes to re-read The Dead (Thanks to Extreme Edition 21:
https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/specials/DD21).

Just the most amazingly weird story, I think the weirdest ever to appear in the Prog. After Pete Milligan confessed (at the 40th do) that his entire writing career is essentially an attempt to match James Joyce, I was desperately trying to find some parallels between the comics 'The Dead' and the Joyce short story of the same name. Since I haven't actually read the short story I'm coming up empty, but it's fun looking for ultra-pretentious ways to parse things, e.g. the Demons are British colonizers invading a jaded Ireland, limbo wraiths as lapsed Catholics.

Fun, I tell ya!

SpaceSpinner2000

Whoa that's really interesting! I wish I knew more about Joyce to see what's what. The Dead is a weird story, themes of nihilism and body horror, with over the top art seemingly designed to make the reader uncomfortable. It feels weirdly modern in 1987!

sheridan

Was he joking?  Otherwise I'd be tempted to spend too long trying to map Sooner or Later, Bad Company, The Dead, Freaks, Tribal Memories, Shadows, Bix Barton, Hewligan's Haircut, Rogan Gosh, Skin, Johnny Nemo, Strange Days, Animal Man, Shade, Enigma, Tank Girl: the Odyssey, Hellblazer, Egypt and Greek Street to The Dubliners, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Exiles, Ulysses and Finnegans Wake.

The Tank Girl is the only one I can imagine being easy to match up!

The Monarch

did you do that diliberately plan out bad company so it ended on the podcast before the big reveal xd :lol:

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 15 July, 2019, 09:32:09 PM
Was he joking?  Otherwise I'd be tempted to spend too long trying to map Sooner or Later, Bad Company, The Dead, Freaks, Tribal Memories, Shadows, Bix Barton, Hewligan's Haircut, Rogan Gosh, Skin, Johnny Nemo, Strange Days, Animal Man, Shade, Enigma, Tank Girl: the Odyssey, Hellblazer, Egypt and Greek Street to The Dubliners, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Exiles, Ulysses and Finnegans Wake.

Presumably a lot of the 2000AD stories would be sections of larger works?

Quote from: The Monarch on 16 July, 2019, 12:00:00 AM
did you do that diliberately plan out bad company so it ended on the podcast before the big reveal xd :lol:

Just a lucky accident of the format, it's funny how it works out sometimes! The only time I'm choosing is the rare occasions when a year has 53 Mondays and I have to figure out which episode has to be a 5 proger, as we'll see during our 1988 coverage.

Dandontdare

If I could make one teeny suggestion for Fox next time...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SpaceSpinner2000

Haha, we have fun for sure!

CitizenDoov

Found myself laughing in the street while listening to this episode on my walk to work. Fox was really on one this week  :lol:
More of this please

sheridan

Just the other day I was listening to one of the podcasts about late 200s progs where you were talking about The Executioner storyline - which has Judge DeGaulle hauled in as a suspect by Dredd - then less than a week later DeGaulle comes up again!

AlexF

Quote from: sheridan on 15 July, 2019, 09:32:09 PM

I actually have read 'Portrait of the artist' (and the first 300 or so pages of Ulysses many years ago, and a whopping 2 pages of Finnegan's Wake) - I think it's not much of a reach to map the character traits of young Stephen Deadalus (that word again...) onto the standard Milligan protagonist - Danny Franks being the most obvious version, but certainly all the ones who have some level of self-doubt. Funnily enough perhaps the most obviously Joycean story of Milligan's I've read wasn't on your list - the deliciously neon Skreemer.

Tribal Memories, I think, is more or less an updated retelling of part of Brave New World. Fun fact.

I really don't think Mr Milligan was joking! If you're going to aspire to being a writer, you could do a lot lot worse than taking on J. Joyce. Whereas your G. Morrisons and M. Millars strike me as pretentious for the sake of sounding clever, Milligan's pretentiousness feels like he is actually being extremely clever.

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 18 July, 2019, 02:41:59 PM
Funnily enough perhaps the most obviously Joycean story of Milligan's I've read wasn't on your list - the deliciously neon Skreemer.

That's because I don't own a copy!

QuoteTribal Memories, I think, is more or less an updated retelling of part of Brave New World. Fun fact.

I've read and like both of those and can see that - shall have to bear in mind when re-reading!

I, Cosh

Quote from: AlexF on 18 July, 2019, 02:41:59 PM
I really don't think Mr Milligan was joking! If you're going to aspire to being a writer, you could do a lot lot worse than taking on J. Joyce.
Milligan always had a much more obvious literary bent than his peers.

It's a long time since I read it, but the title of Shadows comes from TS Eliot and I think there's a bunch of references in the story itself.

Plenty of literary allusion and other shenanigans in Shade too. There are storylines maed for On the Road and Un Saison dans l'enfer. No idea if there's any connection between the story and the poem but it always reminds me of the time my 6th year French teacher thought that drawing a guy with a bandana and a chainsaw and telling us it was Rimbaud was the funniest thing ever.

One of his vey best is a two-parter where Shade finds himself in 1920s Paris. The story is narrated by Joyce and Hemmingway, each trying to assert their own memory of what happened in a double pastiche of their alternately lean and verbose styles. So, he's probably a fan.
We never really die.