Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhizzBang

Quote from: sheridan on 08 July, 2020, 08:12:02 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 08 July, 2020, 03:58:56 PM
erm, not sure Susan has fully got the point of the Spinnies....

I gather a spambot hit the forum today - was it Susan?

Yes. After Susan posted her list of questionable links there was someone with a big interest in geography, languages and gambling websites.

Colin YNWA

1989 what a mixed bag that was!

Best Art: I was trying not to give it to Steve Yeowell for Zenith again, maybe John Ridgway for Deadman, so good, maybe someone a bit different Nigel Dobbyn as I love his clean line on Medivac, or even Steve Cook for some really fun cover designs... Arthur Ranson... oh who am I kidding its Steve Yeowell isn't it!

Best Writing: John Wagner as its too easy to take him for granted and the way he started to craft the build up to Necropolis was quite masterful, even if we didn't know the ... well Prog 660 yet... Special mention to Alan Grant for 'John Cassavettes is Dead' which wonderfully underlines the work by Wagner and Anderson Triad, oh and GMozz for Zenith.

Best Overall Thrill: Arhhh its Zenith again isn't it NO its Deadman... but since neither those complete in 1989 and in the case of Deadman... well Prog 660 again is next year, maybe I'll go Medivac 318 for being such a brilliant change in tone and feel, while wonderfully still being very 2000ad....BUT in the end its Anderson - Triad setting up the Grant Ranson partnership with a great thrill.

Best month: as Alex F says December (obviously)... not actually November ... no actually December

Best Year: 1987 as this was the last time the Prog wasn't so rocky for a long time. 1989 has some real highlights but when it dips, it dips hard and it does so more often

MVP: You know what I was thinking Steve Cook for starting to really shake up the look and feel of the Prog but then I save Alex F's nomination and can't argue with Hilary Robinson. She shock things up and added a fresh feel and tone to the Prog, it didn't always work, certainly some stories down the line, but Medivac and Zippy Couriers it really did and since 2000ad is all about variety of story this is really important.

SpaceSpinner2000

In the first mega episode of our Judge Dredd Megazine Primer series Eli and Conrad are looking at some classic Dredd adventures to learn more about the Lawman of the Future. This episode e're talking about Judge Dredd and his relationships with the people of Mega-City One, and what life is like in that post scarcity dystopian megalopolis! We'll learn how people live, see a few sub-cultures in action, and try to survive a night in the life of Judge Dredd!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

WhizzBang

I think there has been a mix up here - the episode 1 I downloaded is the one you recorded as episode 2 starting with Kenny Who. It is great stuff anyway so thanks for your work Conrad and Eli.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 10 July, 2020, 07:30:28 AM
I think there has been a mix up here - the episode 1 I downloaded is the one you recorded as episode 2 starting with Kenny Who. It is great stuff anyway so thanks for your work Conrad and Eli.

Yep, mistake on my part. The correct episode should be there now, please refresh your podcast app!

Here's the link to the correct episode as well!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Listening now - it's going to be all timey-wimey when I listen to the second episode again later this month!

WhizzBang

I am looking forward to episode 3 now and really hope Conrad includes Judge Death Lives in episode 3 as Eli is sure to notice how good the 'gaze into the fist' panel is..

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 10 July, 2020, 06:40:29 PM
I am looking forward to episode 3 now and really hope Conrad includes Judge Death Lives in episode 3 as Eli is sure to notice how good the 'gaze into the fist' panel is..

Episode 3 is very much the episode I'm most worried about. It's really important to establish Death as an actually scary villain and threat, otherwise his Megazine appearances are weird and make no sense!

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and twelfth episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1989 Winter Special of 2000AD. This Special is a real boom/bust publication, mixing side stories from low priority thrills with some extremely dense filler, and even some REPRINT filler!

This episode Conrad is joined by top 2000AD art droid Chris Weston! He was an amazing sport, discussing some of his earliest work! Among many many other places you can find Chris's work on House of Dolman in the recently released Smash 2020 Special, or check out his work directly on his twitter @westonfront!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

It was an incredible honor to have Mr. Weston on to talk about some work he's clearly not that pleased about thirty years later, but I think it ends up being great fun. Please let me know what you think of the episode!

The Monarch

Oh my god you got chris weston!!!!  :)

yeah i knew hes not a fan of his early stuff but as i said i love his work

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: The Monarch on 13 July, 2020, 04:57:46 AM
Oh my god you got chris weston!!!!  :)

yeah i knew hes not a fan of his early stuff but as i said i love his work

He definitely feels he didn't come into his own until Killing Time. Which may come up later!

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad - quite a coup, getting a creator in on the podcast. Have any others showed interest in taking part in future episodes? It was pretty great to hear Chris's perspective.

The winter special itself was bit disappointing although the Leny Henry interview was more interesting than I expected it to be. You didn't seem to notice the punchline in the Dredd strip where the 'Have a Lawful Xmas' sign becomes 'Have a awful Xmas', or maybe it too weak to mention.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 13 July, 2020, 06:19:17 PM
Thanks Conrad - quite a coup, getting a creator in on the podcast. Have any others showed interest in taking part in future episodes? It was pretty great to hear Chris's perspective.

The winter special itself was bit disappointing although the Leny Henry interview was more interesting than I expected it to be. You didn't seem to notice the punchline in the Dredd strip where the 'Have a Lawful Xmas' sign becomes 'Have a awful Xmas', or maybe it too weak to mention.

Definitely missed it. I swear I'm sight gag blind sometimes! I've got another creator lined up, and it's something I'm definitely looking into doing more often. Maybe not as a regular episode, but there's definitely stuff to learn from people from Space Spinner's weird early 90s perspective!

Leigh S

That was a blast, though if you get Chris back, you must grill him on his 2000AD history (he sounds like a Prog 1er to me!).  Really good to get that insight into the Rogue tale and while I thnk of Chris Weston as a stalwart always about Droid, a quick trip to Wikipedia didnt show as many tales as I thought - especially Dredd, which speaks well of his impact ("To Thing with Love" is a top Ten Dredd for me!) 

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 13 July, 2020, 07:50:03 PM
Quote from: WhizzBang on 13 July, 2020, 06:19:17 PM

Definitely missed it. I swear I'm sight gag blind sometimes! I've got another creator lined up, and it's something I'm definitely looking into doing more often. Maybe not as a regular episode, but there's definitely stuff to learn from people from Space Spinner's weird early 90s perspective!