Main Menu

The Haunting of Sector House 9...

Started by Minkyboy, 13 May, 2009, 09:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minkyboy

...that was my first experience of Dredd, when as an impressionable 9 year old my dad bought me my first 2000AD.
Shortly afterwards Dekker became one of my heroes and she still is, despite the tragic waste of killing her off in the sub-standard Judgement Day, at least she died stoically, with her boots on like a good Judge should.

Tooth has had me in it's grip ever since. I redecorated my ceiling with prog covers 380-500 as a kid (ouch), infected my uni mates with my addiction, stopped reading for that bit in the 90's and have had a sub for the last 4 years or so. I was even tempted by the freebies and subscribed to the Meg this year for the first time too.

I've been lurking here for years, since the days before DD went walkabout, when Bou and Trout were in their rampant prime and all was young and fresh with the world. Don't know what is making me come out really. The new board is if anything even friendlier, lots of new blood being welcomed and I have the shared issues of a common age, young kids, cynicism and a love of 2000AD.

Oh and I know about naked Sundays. And your cheeseburgers are in the post Godpleton.

Minky
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Kerrin

Hi Minky, nice one for delurking fella.

TordelBack

Welcome, and kudos to the man who wears a Kim Raymond icon with pride!  Maybe not 2000AD's premier droid, but certainly its most underappreciated.

flip-r mk2

Welcome.

• We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now.

flip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Peter Wolf

I probably dont need to introduce myself so i wont.

Hi !

Come on in - the waters fine.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Richmond Clements

Good morning!

And I think I'm duty bound to point out that Bou is still very much in her prime!

Trout

Ha! You're shacked up with Miss Jean Brodie!

Hello, Minky. That's an interesting name. I grew up in Dundee, where people who are "minky" don't smell very nice.

Welcome, oh niffy scum.

Hail the fish, etc etc...

Richmond Clements

QuoteHa! You're shacked up with Miss Jean Brodie!

I'm going to tell her you said that...

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Devons Daddy

welcome to posting.

the walkabout was slightly more akin to sailabout actaully, but this is the greatest place on the WWW.
friendly it is, welcoming always.
come in a get that rating up to the call me kenneth levels.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Minkyboy

Thank you one and all.

Quote from: "peterwolf"I probably dont need to introduce myself so i wont.

Yeah, that is the weird thing when you have been a lurker, feels a bit voyeuristic when you delurk, like I've been videoing you all in the shower. Which I have, but that is not necessarily the case for all the lurkers out there.
To even the scales a bit more I am 34, married for 12 years, 3 kids (boy and girl twins 20mths, baby girl 4 days!), 2 cats, new bannisters and fingernails that need cutting.

Quote from: "His Lordship rac"And I think I'm duty bound to point out that Bou is still very much in her prime!

Noooooo I've managed to insult the Queen in my very first post! No insult intended. I just meant that Bou and Trout used to post a lot more frequently that's all.

Quote from: "King Trout"Hello, Minky. That's an interesting name. I grew up in Dundee, where people who are "minky" don't smell very nice.

I was the Monkeyboy when I was the new boy on a project at work many years ago and basically made the tea. That morphed to Minkyboy Inspector Clouseau style, then Minky. But I do stink, yes.

Quote from: "Godpleton"That's your mum that is.

Ah now I really know I am welcome, I got my very own insult from Godpleton.
That lovely lady has a few pounds on my mum, and a lot more hair. I would like to think that my mum would make a better go at singing that song too. At least a more enthusiastic attempt anyway.

So tell me something I don't know about you boarders then, as Dekker is my Hero (for her attitude, discipline and being the first lady Judge in tight uniform a young man encountered) who is your favourite Dreddverse supporting character and why?

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Richmond Clements

Quoteboy and girl twins 20mths, baby girl 4 days

Congratulations!

Quotewho is your favourite Dreddverse supporting character and why?

Mrs Gunderson came up in converstaion during the weekend (It was a comic convention, what do you expect!)- so I think I'll plump for her at the moment, though another may come to mind later...

ThryllSeekyr

Quotethat was my first experience of Dredd, when as an impressionable 9 year old my dad bought me my first 2000AD.

Way back in 1986, my mother brought me this prog while in town on a school day. I was sick and visiting the doctor. Though I know she let me choose this one because I recalled the Slaine cover of the large red dragon poised, ready to flame all over the poor fellow running ahead of it. I thought the very first newspapery 2000AD prog I ever seen was a switch from the usual glossy covers of DC and Marvel. The one I choose from a whole bundle of these 2000AD's. While I'm not sure if it's the same Prog your talking about. It did cover one of the "Dragonheist" episodes that ran along side "The Haunting of Sector House Seven" The cover drawn by a artist I had always mistaken for Glenn Fabry, but it's not his work.

Despite my interest in the Slaine cover. I never occurred to me that I brought one with Slaine story, about two-three years later when I was trying to source all the Slaine progs after reading a article about a Celtic axe-weilding barbarian in a computer gaming magazine connected with the Martech game of the same name. My curiousity obviously piquied. I could only score a handful of Slaine progs, not even thinking to return to the second hand book store where I got this very first one years before.  

oh, BTW welcome to the board.

Richmond Clements

That's Thryllseekyr. He's the Mayor.

Minkyboy

Quote from: "His Lordship rac"
Quotewho is your favourite Dreddverse supporting character and why?

Mrs Gunderson came up in converstaion during the weekend (It was a comic convention, what do you expect!)- so I think I'll plump for her at the moment, though another may come to mind later...

So did you plump for Mrs Gunderson for similar juvenile fantasy reasons that I went for Dekker your Lordship?!

Quote from: "ThryllSeekyr"While I'm not sure if it's the same Prog your talking about. It did cover one of the "Dragonheist" episodes that ran along side "The Haunting of Sector House Seven" The cover drawn by a artist I had always mistaken for Glenn Fabry, but it's not his work.

I remember Slaine and his stolen dragon, amazing mid-air combat leaps. And I remember being very sad when they chopped off dragon heads for the jewels conveniently inside.
But it was the freaky artwork on the Haunting of Sector House 7/9 that got me. Crazy mouths swearing at Dredd out of the brickwork, and the whole idea of that Psi-amp box as a no way back option. Brilliant. Did untold damage to my impressionable imagination it did!