Main Menu

Recommend me some PC Games??

Started by bluemeanie, 14 May, 2009, 03:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

I'm a sucker for Sid Meir's Civilization IV and it's various expansions, also Age of Empires III. It's mainly because they can both be played on quite easy settings - I'm too old and befuddled to play action games (I mean I truly suck! I tried Dredd vs Death but after half an hour of shoot-the-floor/shoot-the-sky/shoot-the-floor/shoot-the-sky/die I gave up)

bluemeanie

Just on the offchance anyone else has the Bioshock/Vista problem, I did a bit of researching and these are the settings you need

The Realtek sound is set to stereo
The audio settings in Bioshock are set to Pro Logic  
Reverb and Creative EAX Audio are both turned on.

Skullgrin140

Warhammer:DOW I & II
Age of Empires The Warcheifs
Lego Rock Raiders
Day of the Tentacle
Grim Fandango
Empire Total War

Some good recommendations.

Ponder

I hereby throw my votes behind:

Bioshock - fabulously rich immersive environment, by turns it becomes genuinely scary, funny and macabre. Has the soul of System Shock 2, and if you've got the hardware to do it justice, it looks beautiful too.

The Orange Box - what's not to like?
*Half Life 2 *is* as good, if not better than the original (and I lived, slept, breathed and ate that thing).
*Portal - ignore anything you've read or heard, just go into it without preconception and you will love it. Funniest game I have played in years.
*Team Fortress 2 - best multiplayer PC FPS since the original Half Life. Absolutely superb, and (possibly because of the deliberately "unrealistic" nature of the graphics) it doesn't seem to attract the screeching, howling mouth-breathers who will assault your both your ears with their incessant, whiny, pre-pubescent swearing, and your brain with their inability to carry out even the simplest of tasks. The great community around TF2 is what sets it head and shoulders above others in the genre. It's also about as finely balanced a game as you'll find, no classes truly dominate, everyone has a counter.

Left 4 Dead - excellent, but it's pretty much *all* multiplayer. Atmostpheric though, so if you're a fan of zombie movies, you'll enjoy it greatly.

Mass Effect - very, very good, highly recommended if you're an RPG fan. Lots of backstory to keep your interest between firefights. Small downside is that it looks as if it were designed for a console (which it was)

Fallout 3 - I'm torn. On the one hand, I've got many hours of play on this. It's excellent. Really, really good. I've had a lot of enjoyment out of it....
...but. But. BUT. It's a mind-boggling mess of bugs and glitches. It's been out now for more than six months, and *still* isn't patched to stability for all users. It's currently in disgrace, here on my shelf, having crashed to desktop five times in one evening - with no rhyme, reason or pattern. Just "Whoops, oh dear, that's another half hour wasted".

Bethesda seem more concerned with shoving the DLC packs out of the door than they are with fixing fundamental flaws in the original game. For the record, they've issued three lots of chargeable DLC. Every one has been bugged - in some cases, bugged to the point of being entirely unplayable. Buyer beware.

...but I do still love it. Even buggy, glitchy and soul-destroying, it's a cracking game.

The best of the lot, if you could only choose one? Bioshock. Well, or Orange Box. Probably. Or...erm...both of them. I think that you should be able to pick them up for peanuts these days anyway.

Enjoy.
J.

bluemeanie

Quote from: "Ponder"I hereby throw my votes behind:

Bioshock - fabulously rich immersive environment, by turns it becomes genuinely scary, funny and macabre. Has the soul of System Shock 2, and if you've got the hardware to do it justice, it looks beautiful too.

Well as per advice I dug out Bioshock and replayed the first hour with the graphics on their highest settings.... think I liked it more when it was chuggy and not so "real" looking.  :shock:
I am SUCH a girl with games! Played for an hour and had to stop as my shoulders were hurting from tensing up the whole time.
Stunning looking but DAMN creepy. Loving it.

Minkyboy

Did you get as far as  having to take on your first Big Daddy yet?
That was scary, so damn fast!
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Devons Daddy

Bio shock
Spore
orange box ( wow thats a value pack !!!!!)

three hands down winners by far. i am not a pc gamer but having played them both. have to say BRILLANT.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

bluemeanie

Quote from: "Minkyboy"Did you get as far as  having to take on your first Big Daddy yet?
That was scary, so damn fast!

Yeah, that was the point where I figured I should get my arse to bed.
The set peices before that though, like where the plane crashes into the walkway you are going through... just beautiful looking

Richmond Clements

Quote from: "radiator"Peggle.

That is all.

What he said.

WoD

Orange Box is a must really.
Bioshock - meh...sorry!!
Fallout 3 - great on the 360 - would think it is great on here too.
Dredd vs Death...ahem...worth a little look...

the shutdown man

Bioshock is a great game, it looks fantastic and the weapons mixed with powers is a cool idea, but I had to give up when it got too frustrating to fight the Big Daddys. Maybe I was doing something wrong, or missing a weakness, but my exchanges with them basically went; 1) Get a few shots off, 2) Get killed by one shot, 3) Wake up in regeneration booth, 4) Go to 1), and repeat with dimishing ammo and patience.  I'll try it again sometime.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Bouwel

Re Big Daddies. Try electric bolts and high power weapons such as grenades. Freezing them works as well.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Minkyboy

Quote from: "Bouwel"Re Big Daddies. Try electric bolts and high power weapons such as grenades. Freezing them works as well.

-Bouwel-

Absolutely. Electroshock then explosives/bullets, then run away around a corner, not in a straight line because of the shoulder charges.
I found the first Big Daddy WAY harder than any of the others. Maybe because you have limited weapon options the first time.
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Goaty

Hitman Blood Money...

got Fallout3,
Crysis
Left4Dead...

brillaint games!

the shutdown man

Quote from: "Minkyboy"
Quote from: "Bouwel"Re Big Daddies. Try electric bolts and high power weapons such as grenades. Freezing them works as well.

-Bouwel-

Absolutely. Electroshock then explosives/bullets, then run away around a corner, not in a straight line because of the shoulder charges.
I found the first Big Daddy WAY harder than any of the others. Maybe because you have limited weapon options the first time.

Alright, I'll see what I can do....
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.