Main Menu

Spines

Started by Fleetos, 12 October, 2011, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Talking of spines, has anyone noticed that the Tour of Duty trade's spines feature the briefly tried 'squared-off' 2000 AD logo and so don't match the other Dredd trades. Presumably, now that logo has been abandoned in favour of the old rounded version, future trades will be printed without the square logo too.

Annoyingly, second print runs of Case Files volumes and the Complete Nemesis collections have the square logo too at the moment further buggering up any sense of symmetry.

I really wish I wasn't bothered about this.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

SmallBlueThing

Of course, the spine-madness can go too far the other way. Take DVDs for example- i hate having those 'collection' versions on my shelf- 'the clint eastwood collection', etc. I like the spines of series to be in the same style as each other, but not homogenised.

Yesterday i bought Hellraiser 1-3 from poundland for a quid each. Nicely packaged (other than 3's poster art being a copy/paste of 1 with some buildings behind pinhead)- however, this has the knock-on effect of meaning that 1&3 have basically the same spine, as the top part is the picture of pinhead from the poster. This gave me an extra crease on my forehead as i grumpily pondrred it for ten seconds...

SBT

The Adventurer

On the Square Logo thing, as anal as I am. those logos are so small, and generally similar between the square and 'badge' designs, that it really doesn't chap my ass that much. I do prefer the square design and wish they had not reverted.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Trout

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 27 October, 2011, 04:31:29 PM
Feng Shui of the bookcase![/color]

Do what now? I am very disappointed in you, John. I had no idea you were a sprout-munching, pipe-smoking hippy! ;)

Dandontdare

I bought a book on Feng Shui once - but I couldn't decide where to keep it.

b'dum tish

mogzilla

just turn them all around so the spines are facing the wall then it wont upset you so much!

The Adventurer

Hey gang, I've been compiling a master list of all the 2000 AD collections I own, and how many I don't so I can make some plans on what to buy in the near future. There are some books I'm looking to replace (mostly the old DC trades).

So it looks like Simon and Shuster editions cover a few of these gaps, and of course the question turns to spines. Because that's the whole point of the replacements.

ABC Warriors The Meknificent Seven and The Black Hole S&S editions. Do their spines match the Rebellion spines for Khronicals of Khaos/Third Element/Shadow Warriors?

huh. I guess that's my only question. I guess its the only major gap I could fill (might replace my rebellion copy of Bad Company Vol.1 with the Complete Bad Company. But that's not super important.

Trout

Of course, the real challenge for the ubergeek would be a catalogue of spine art measurements for each volume, depending on what edition it is.

Is anyone geek enough for this? I suspect it's a step too far, even for us.

- Trout

vark

Quote from: The Adventurer on 09 January, 2012, 11:20:43 AM

So it looks like Simon and Shuster editions cover a few of these gaps, and of course the question turns to spines. Because that's the whole point of the replacements.

ABC Warriors The Meknificent Seven and The Black Hole S&S editions. Do their spines match the Rebellion spines for Khronicals of Khaos/Third Element/Shadow Warriors?

I will check this evening and come back to you.

Emperor

Quote from: King Trout on 09 January, 2012, 12:33:25 PM
Of course, the real challenge for the ubergeek would be a catalogue of spine art measurements for each volume, depending on what edition it is.

Is anyone geek enough for this? I suspect it's a step too far, even for us.

Never!!

I'm not saying I'd condone or even encourage such an anal activity (or any anal activity!!) but.... I could see a place for getting all the shots of the various covers into the 2000AD wiki (people do find volumes are can be uncertain what they are, especially if they pop up on eBay, for example) and it'd be rude not to include a photo of the spines all together (as people do ask about it) so if someone wanted to throw in a table of spine measurements... So there is a logical progression there. It'd just depend on whether someone could be bothered.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Adventurer on 09 January, 2012, 11:20:43 AM

Yes, match perfectly. Likewise the paperback editions of The Volgan War.
@jamesfeistdraws

vark

Yes it matches all the spines and numbers... when they exist:

The Adventurer

Quote from: vark on 10 January, 2012, 07:08:23 PM
Yes it matches all the spines and numbers... when they exist:

eeeeeeeeeeee

wait, 'when they exist'? ARe they hard to find, or not out yet? The Volgan Wars SCs matching kinda make me want to buy them as well. Even though I sort of loath the story.

TordelBack