Main Menu

Rogue Trooper Why?

Started by opaque, 23 July, 2006, 03:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opaque

I've finally bought Rogue Trooper for the PC.
And it's very nice, looks good, feels good etc but why oh why oh why doesn't it have any cheats?
I know thees a cheats menu for when you've finished it (fat lot of use that is, and low gravity ragdoll is NOT a cheat it's a fun thing to play around with I'm sure (as I've done that on other games) but it is not a cheat, cheat is infinite weapons, infinite health, that sort of thing)

I'm sure I'll play around with it more but I want to actually plough my way through, want to have proper battles with loads of weapons but I can't.
Most other FPS's seem to have lots of cheats, Unreal Tournament, Half Life 2 etc and it makes the games so much more fun when you can look around, try out all the weapons etc.

Why is it that Rebellion don't put these things in? DvD had the same problem. I just want to be able to have fun playing it.

James

Why?

Because CHEATERS NEVER WIN!

Here endeth the lesson

JOE SOAP

It wouldn't be much of a game if you had to cheat now would it.

opaque

Course it would. It's great fun to be able to try out all the weapons properly, look around, find secret passages, spend ages mutilating Norts, that sort of thing.
I'd love to be able to play on the Massacre level if I could stand there blowing Norts away (just like Rogue can do of course)

If the major games can do it why can't Rebellions?

I, Cosh

Now, maybe I'm just old fashioned (and I haven't actually played Rogue Trooper) but what's the point of playing the game if you're not going to play it properly?

Of course, I've never really understood why games have cheat menus, so maybe it's just a deeply entrenched philosophical divide. Or something.
We never really die.

Funt Solo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Molyneux" target="_blank">Peter Molyneux's argument (recalled vaguely from an interview ages ago in PC Gamer) is that every game should have a sandpit mode (at the very least).

He reckons that the person who bought the game should be able to play it in any way they see fit, because it's their game.

(I'm not sure if his egalitarian philosophy manifests itself in the games he helps create, though.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

ThryllSeekyr

Being able to play as other 2000Ad characters would be ainterestinmg idea.

Sort of like reward for getting through the whole game.

opaque

That seems to be the basis behind the cheats section in the existing 2000ad games, that it's extra features rather than cheats. Having different characters? Could easily do that for a deathmatch type level in Rogue.

Thanks for the Molyneuz info Funt, that's kind of how I feel but also that it already exists in major games shows that people want and use it.

I really like Rogue but I'd like to play around loads more, learn how to practise with grenades etc more than I can now for example.

House of Usher

I'm in favour of cheats. Cheat codes can compensate for poor game design. I had a Carmageddon game on the PC that cost me ?3, and I couldn't get past one of the end of level challeges because insufficient time was allowed, and it was thus impossible to complete. Of all the cheat codes I found on the web, none bypassed this insurmountable chalenge, and thus more than two thirds of the game was totally inaccessable.

If I had paid ?30 for the game when it was new, instead of buying it in Booksale some years later, I'd have been very upset! It's interesting that the copy my brother-in-law bought for his Playstation has double the time limit to complete that level. And even then it was only just possible to do.
STRIKE !!!

Bolt-01

Hmm, interesting.

I'm not much of a gamer, though I'm currently enjoying the playability of LEGO Starwars.

I'm on my second trip through Rogue Trooper, and having completed on hard, I am now playing on massacre. The game is so much better now that I am reasonably sure of the moves, and I have even done whole sections using just the pistol and micromines!

If I had one option I would like, it would be a head to head battle mode on the multi-player.

On the whole though I think that 'cheats' should be rewards in the game.

Bolt-01

opaque

Lucky you Bolt that you are good enough to do so well you can up the level, but I can't. I suck at most games, thats why learning helps. Some games give you practice levels which is a good help. I know the early stuff on Rogue is like that but it's not the same.

>On the whole though I think that 'cheats' should be rewards in the game<

Are there any games you can name where this is the case? I've only ever seen them available in general online (or ages ago in magazines)rather than being shown in the game as a reward.
Surely the people that are good enough to complete the game are the ones that don't need a cheat.
Sounds like you are in the same mind as the Rebellion designers in giving people who can finish something extra, which is nice but utterly pointless to me.

DavidXBrunt

I suspect it's more about encouraging people to replay the game and give it an extra long lifespan.

ThryllSeekyr

I was wondering if Miss Venus Blue Genes personally rewards (????) each person who completes a whole game on massacre difficulty by paying them a visit.

Something I had always fantasized about in my younger years playing games such BreakOut on the Ataria console and Elite on the C64.

Of course haveing seen the movie 'The Last Starfighter'

It may be more likely that a couple of large men in whitesuits arrive at their door, bundling them off in their truck to the nearest cloning facility.

In the very least a disco level could have been offered as good reward.

Link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0087597/" target="_blank">Greetings StarFighter, You have been recruited by

opaque

I found a trainer and got the cheats I wanted :)
There is no way I could have finished it, especially the last level without cheating as I suck so badly.

I think the game is exceptionally good, although I can certainly see why seasoned gamers think its far too short.

The look and the style is exactly right, the story is kept to properly and the gameplay and weapons are really good (if you can salvage enough)

I am now looking forwards to playing around with it even more now I've finished it :)

Oddboy

I'm really loving this game... I only got it a couple of weeks ago (on the same day I got a new flatscreen 32" telly - ahh graphic bliss!).

I've finished it on the first two difficulty settings & I'm working through the hardest one now... that Train mission is the trickiest one methinks.

On massacre I'm finding it hard to keep up with salvage - even when I'm salvaging 100% of that available... I'm just using too much up on ammo & medipacks so I can't upgrade too often.
Better set your phaser to stun.