Main Menu

Wii - launch details...

Started by The Amstor Computer, 15 September, 2006, 05:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARF

I want one!!!

Check this trailer out for the Sports... genius!

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szc7OdelAJs&mode=related&search=" target="_blank">wii sports

Aspicus

Any news on whether Nintendo has entered the current century and is offering WPA for the internet connection? (rather than the next to useless WEP security they offer on the DS)

The Amstor Computer

Dunno about that - specs are hard to come by for the system. All I've got on comms is what appears on the official site:

Communication: Wii can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. This WiiConnect24 service delivers a new surprise or game update, even if users do not play with Wii. Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE 802.11b/g, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. Wii also can communicate wirelessly with Nintendo DS.

I'm not 100%, but if they're using b/g doesn't that mean no WPA?

Aspicus

Hmmm.  802.11g is WPA while (as I understand it anyway) 801.11b isn't - which means that it will definitely support WEP.  I suppose the one ray of sunshine is if the Wii offers WEP or WPA which would be consistent with b/g.  Here's hoping.  I'm not running my network on WEP even for Wii.

Incidently I remember when the DS internet connectivity came out with Mario Kart.  There were tonnes of emails on the Nintendo forum asking when they were going to impliment WPA.  The official Nintendo answer - turn off your PC when you're not using your DS.  Why you need your PC on when you are using your DS, or why they think that people spend hundreds of pounds on a bit of kit they can't securely use when they're not using their PC only Nintendo knows.

Anyway I'll stop ranting and wipe the spittle away from my mouth.

Banners

Genuine question - is it a big deal? I have a DS, use wireless for my laptop and DS (only works with b not g), and my main PC is on virtually all the time. I do online banking and make multiple transactions both for my personal stuff and work stuff.

I intend to get a Wii too which will hopefully work straight away and I thought WEP was just fine. But should I be worrying about, ahem, 1337 Hax0rs?

M@

Aspicus

I didn't used to think so, but when thinking whether to downgrade my network to WEP (for the DS as it happens) I had a look and it turns out that WEP is pretty worthless as a security device - the only thing it being good for is stopping people accidently connecting to your network.  Look in google for the words WPA WEP hack or similar to get an idea on how easy it is.
WPA is hackable, but it depends on your keyphrase.  If its unlikely to be found in a dictionary search then you're pretty much OK.

In terms of security it depends.  The prime problem is that people might nick your bandwidth.     If you also share files or drives on your local network then its a very big problem indeed (or if they are accessible on your network).
It also depends - if you live in the middle of nowhere then there's unlikely to be anyone around who will give it a go.  If (like me) you live in a fairly built up area then you may feel you want a bit more protection.

Banners

If you can't wait for Wario Ware...

M@

Link: ttp://www.funny-games.biz/foursecondfury.html" target="_blank">Four Second Fury

dweezil2

That's my Christmas presen sorted, then!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Banners

Well I've just slapped down a deposit and pre-ordered mine. I'm number #31 which, um, entitles me to attend a special midnight opening of the store.

Part of me is quite ashamed. I just hope the local press isn't there(!)

M@

Jared Katooie

"Part of me is quite ashamed. I just hope the local press isn't there(!)"

So sir, how long have you been waiting for a wee?

Uh, a few hours...

Well I hope you dont have an ACCIDENT! Haha! Anne?

Thanks Phil. That was Phil with the 5 minute compooter report. Those wacky geeks! Now here's John with the weather...

Banners

Wii pre-orders now available online at Game and PC World.

M@

The Amstor Computer

Excellent - cheers for the heads-up!

BTW - keep an eye out for Wii Play. I believe it's being bundled with a remote for £34.99, and if the demos from E3 - the Duck Hunt spiritual sequel & the obstacle course, for example - are anything to go by the game will be a blast.

Wils

Are Nintendo intentionally getting as many golden shower puns in as possible, do you reckon? There's no way they don't realise how dodgy these names sound.

The Amstor Computer

Heh :-) IIRC, the Japanese name of "Wii Play" translates roughly to something like "My First Wii", so it could have been iffier...

I must admit, I am growing attached to the name - it's bloody daft, of course, but I think that is perhaps its greatest strength.