Main Menu

Mark Millar's CLINT

Started by Emperor, 04 May, 2010, 04:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

Flicked through it in Asda today, and it gave me the same feeling that flicking through an issue of Rock Sound (don't judge me - I accidentally won a subscription in an online compo) gives me. I can't help but feel that I should like it - it covers a subject I've been passionate about since the year dot. But I don't like it. Worse - I actively dislike it. I actually feel insulted by the content which seems to have been cynically written specifically for consumption by morons. Then I start to resent the mag for its subterfuge, drawing me in with the promise of geek stuff, then hitting me with sub-Loaded twattery.

That said, Turf looked OK, and I might consider picking that up in collected form if (when) it materialises.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

radiator

QuoteAfter reading the majority of these comments, and based on my own... not dislike  of Millar per se, I picked this up yesterday after work and found my negativity swept away. Sure the strips aren't as good as most things that run in twoth. Yes the artwork on Rex Royd was patchy and I find it hard to follow the script, but Nemesis looks great if nothing else, Turf was enjoyable (even though it does feel like Wossy's first comic) with great pulpy art and I'm a big fan of the original Kick Ass. So all in all (and filler content aside), I'm really glad it's around, and hope it stays that way too.

And if a few Frankie Boyle/Wossy/Jimmy Carr fans pick it up and accidentally find themselves reading and even enjoying comic strips - surely this is a good thing?

Agreed. Though they're hardly Pulitzer material, personally I even found a couple of the text articles mildly diverting - it's only the two or three really puerile ones (Hot Mums etc) that drag the rest down and should have been cut, imo.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Albion

I got it in Tesco this morning. The comic stuff was mostly good but the articles were all a waste of paper. Diary of a pot-head, and Deeply questionable were particularly awful and the rest were very poor. At least Hot TV Mums had a nice picture of Myleene Klass in it.
Liked Turf a lot, easily the best thing in it.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Noisybast

Oh, also, the Asda near where I work has it discreetly nestling amongst the Peppa Pig, Bob the Builder, Disney Princesses, et al. Made me chuckle, anyway...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

mygrimmbrother

Forgto to mention it took me and a senior member of WH Smith staff about ten minutes to find it on their shelves. I was expecting it'd have some sort of fancy P.O.S. stand considering it's the launch issue - or does that sort of thing cost way too much?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 07 September, 2010, 03:18:19 PM
Forgto to mention it took me and a senior member of WH Smith staff about ten minutes to find it on their shelves. I was expecting it'd have some sort of fancy P.O.S. stand considering it's the launch issue - or does that sort of thing cost way too much?

Costs £20k per year just get the fuckers to put you on the shelves.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 September, 2010, 03:57:02 PM

By all accounts yes, but surely it would also be in their interests that a brand new publication is discoverable by prospective buyers?  Selling magazines is, as I understand it,  part of their business model?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 September, 2010, 04:04:53 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 September, 2010, 03:57:02 PM

By all accounts yes, but surely it would also be in their interests that a brand new publication is discoverable by prospective buyers?  Selling magazines is, as I understand it,  part of their business model?

Not if they can gouge you for a second, even more eye-watering amount for the privilege of 'premium' display space...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

amberkraken

Ah CLiNT...
well it was rubbish.
well, that's not completely.

It started off bad, with Miller saying Grandad had Eagle, Dad had 2000AD, and you've got CLiNT!
DAD!!! I'm 27 you knob! and at least 2000AD doesn't just publish re-prints for people who don't buy comics!

Turf was really good. but I already pick that up! I've had the first couple of issues already! I hadn't read Nemisis before (but it something that's already out as well! -so I could have) But I did like that one.
I must be the only person who didn't see the film or have read the comic of Kick-Ass! so 8 pages of not a lot didn't thrill me that much.
Frankie Boyle was on the cover and that's because he's written a comic. It's ok. We'll see where it goes. But with him being on the cover I'd expect an interview -why do a comic? influences? etc all the bog standard stuff, but no. We get Jimmy Carr!
And then the awful, awful 'features'?
who thought it was a good idea for a MILF 'article'?

Bluuurgghhhh!

Don't waste your money. Just spend 10 minutes in WHSmith to read the comics.

Albion

Quote from: amberkraken on 07 September, 2010, 05:09:12 PM
I must be the only person who didn't see the film or have read the comic of Kick-Ass!

No, there are at least two of us.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Albion on 07 September, 2010, 05:47:19 PM
I must be the only person who didn't see the film or have read the comic of Kick-Ass!

Three.
@jamesfeistdraws

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 07 September, 2010, 05:58:10 PM
Quote from: Albion on 07 September, 2010, 05:47:19 PM

Three.

Four.

This was because i was disinterested.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

radiator

You should watch the film - it's a good laugh.

chris_askham

Five.

But only because I don't get out to the cinema much, not because I didn't want to see it.