Main Menu

Prog 1705 - Gun Crazy!

Started by Trout, 02 October, 2010, 11:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Good morning, everyone. For once, I'm up at a decent hour on a Saturday, following an earlier-than-usual finish to my night's work. I am greeted by TITS!

Al Ewing and Andrew Currie give us a chubobbly-heavy Dredd story, and very good fun it is, too. There's crime, giant breasts, some great laughs, a bit of Big Meg madness and a brilliant pay-off line. Nice work, Al.
(I'm not so keen on the way Currie draws judge helmets, though. That's nitpicking. Sorry. The way he draws jugs is marvellous.)

I'd only read the Dredd story before I realised I could probably bag the prog thread. Off to read the rest now.

- Trout

Trout

Hmmm... I needn't have worried. Has nobody else got the prog?

The rest of it's of the usual high standard. Defoe is creepy stuff, with what looks like another big nod in the direction of Slaine - the last panel.

There are shocks and explosions in Age of the Wolf, which I'm still loving, and the intrigue continues in Low Life. With all the action in this latest story, we've been short of that Dirty Frank dialogue we all love, so I was pleased to get a little this week (when he talks to the computer).

But Dante was my favourite in this prog. Its cast of characters continues to be a significant strength and this week we have another reappearance. It's a week of fantastic last panels - Dante's delivers, too. EDITED TO ADD: And the art is by John Burns! Always good.

On top of all this, we have a great, grungy cover by Neil Roberts. Woo, and indeed, hoo.

- Trout

Proudhuff

Quote from: King Trout on 02 October, 2010, 11:38:03 AM
But Dante.... and this week we have another reappearance. - Trout

oh dear, someelse back from the dead?

DDT did a job on me

Trout

Yeah, [spoiler]Captain Hawksmoor (the girl)[/spoiler]. I can't remember if [spoiler]we knew she wasn't dead, but I don't think so.[/spoiler]

Proudhuff

next progs strapline:

Dante:More back from the dead than Defoe!
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Alas my poster came and went this morning with no Prog so I'll have to wait until Monday I guess.

Pete Wells

James Stacey

no prog for james makes james sad :(

Trout

MY PROGGED-UP STATUS MAKES ME THE BEST OF THE SQUAXX!

- Trout

amberkraken

Lovely psychedelic cover by Neil Roberts this week.

Nerve centre - Tharg is no longer screaming at me, but is pulling a weird expression that seems to me that he wants me to do something -yet I'm not sure what!
Also 'thrills of the future' has Necrophim previewed. -I know a lot of you hated it, but I really enjoyed it, so that added with the return of Kingdom will make a great lead up to xmas.

Dredd. like King Trout said 'TITS'
a nice little one-off that work well, but I wasn't sure if that was meant to be Dredd again at the end. I assume it was, but his chin didn't look right to me. (sorry Andrew)

Defoe lots of added intregue into this wonderful zombie filled steampunk world.

AotW - still doesn't really do it for me. it's ok.

Low Life - highlight of the prog! Love it.

Dante - not many characters this week (phew!) so was finally able to 'get' everything going on! (yey for stupid me!) nice to see John Burns back on art duties (no offence to Simon Fraser -his artwork is very good too)

Overall a pretty sweet prog!

Martin Howe

This has been quite a good prog overall; I even found Defoe interesting despite zombies not being my thing. Dredd was a reasonable one-off if not excellent and this Dante series, has turned out more intriguing than I thought.

AoTW - sorry, leaves me cold; yawn; meh; more pseudo Druidic fantasy nonsense, thinly-veiled mysandrist propaganda and (yawn) werewolves (zzzzz) too. Come back Tank Girl, all is forgiven, er, well something like that :P

However, Low Life has been excellent and varied all round; is Thora [spoiler]really the Big Man, or at least one of his lieutenants[/spoiler]? We see her [spoiler]committing an extra-judicial execution[/spoiler] and in a way that is detrimental to solving the case; wonder what the SJS would make of that? I can't wait to see what happens next.

Oh and more Necrophim, yee-haaaaa! Love the caption too :)
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN
Facebook Flickr Twitter

John Caliber

Martin, that black cat looks exactly like my own cat, and the red carpet is exactly the same as the one in the living room of my former house (1993-09). You haven't recently rented a property in Manchester have you...?  ;)
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Pete Wells on 02 October, 2010, 03:22:23 PM
That cover is bloody lovely!
Isn't it just? It's making me itch just looking at it! :lol:
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Pete Wells

I really like the blurriness of the logo and the flies all over it - brilliant design work.

moly

just read this week progs really enjoying all the stories except maybe the age of the wolf seems to be dragging a bit..

ps has anyone done a guide for dante with all the characters list alive / dead/ alive again cheers