Main Menu

InFamous: Second Son

Started by JamesC, 22 March, 2014, 11:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I've spent a few hours on this this morning and first impressions are that the game feels incredibly dated.
Other than the lovely graphics it feels like it could have been a launch game for the PS3!
I don't have many of the power upgrades yet but the combat feels very old fashioned. It's hard to believe this is a post Arkham super hero game.
There's no cove system for the ranged combat which means you have to run about quickly in circles to avoid taking damage while shooting the baddies (like you used to have to do in old games like Max Payne). The melee combat has no blocking or countering and there aren't a great variety of attack animations so your character doesn't look like he's actually engaging with people, he just does the same move over and over.
None of this means the game isn't a fun experience, it's just not a very 'Next Gen' one.

I'll probably give it one play through and trade it in (I'm actually holding out more hope for the new Spider-Man game - really enjoyed the last one).

JamesC

This has now been deleted and will be traded in.
I was playing a mission at the docks that seemed to be almost a carbon copy of a mission in Sleeping Dogs - except the SD version played much, much better.
I've given this game a good few hours and I've seen absolutely nothing new. The vaunted multiple powers haven't given me much excitement - it seems you get a low powered ranged attack (pistol equivalent), a grenade equivalent, a rocket launcher/heavy weapons equivalent and a special ability/smart bomb that you can build up.
I just got so bored after the initial novelty wore off.

Pete Wells

Yeah I bought this and am not particularly thrilled with it. There are times (particularly the excruciatingly tedious boss fights) where the game forgets to be fun.

I WILL do the story but can't see me holding onto it for long...

Keef Monkey

That's disappointing to hear. The Infamous games were my favourite things I played on PS3, had high hopes for this one.

JamesC

If you enjoyed the previous ones you may well enjoy this one. Just don't expect anything new.