Main Menu

Mad Max - Fury Road

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 June, 2012, 06:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 May, 2015, 01:19:48 AM

But then again it was destroyed in Road Warrior too so continuity, rightly, doesn't matter a jot.

There are people still trying to make it work, continuity wise. Haha! Good luck with that.

The only thing that ties it directly to the original three continuity-wise are the reuse of visual elements, recycled, updated and retooled for a new era.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JOE SOAP

Quote from: blackmocco on 17 May, 2015, 01:59:54 AMThere are people still trying to make it work, continuity wise. Haha! Good luck with that.

It's the same as the 'Dollars Trilogy': apart from similar thematics, it's not a story trilogy, and it's never been a problem.

M.I.K.

GoodBad'n'Ugly, Fistful, Few Dollars More.

Krakajac

In recent days, I saw an image on-line from MM:FR (possibly behind-the-scenes) that suggested a modified (vintage) Mini had been used as one of the vehicles.  I'll be damned if I can find the image now.  I certainly don't remember seeing a Mini in the movie itself - but there were a lot of vehicles getting about.  Something to look out for during a re-watch!

Krakajac

Ah.  Seek and ye shall find.  Still don't remember seeing it in the movie!  There's another shot out there somewhere of the front end.

ming

From the Grauniad:

Hardy is reportedly signed up for three more instalments and a separate live action show is also apparently in the works. But Miller, now 70, suggested a pause might be necessary before work on follow-ups began.

"I feel like a woman who's just given birth to a really big baby. And then someone says: 'When are you gonna have your next one?"

Hawkmumbler

I'd be quite satisfied to leave it here, as i'd find it difficult to top Fury Road. But....we'll see.

Jock Savage

Quote from: M.I.K. on 17 May, 2015, 04:53:33 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 May, 2015, 02:07:28 AM
Quote from: blackmocco on 17 May, 2015, 01:59:54 AMThere are people still trying to make it work, continuity wise. Haha! Good luck with that.

It's the same as the 'Dollars Trilogy': apart from similar thematics, it's not a story trilogy, and it's never been a problem.

GoodBad'n'Ugly, Fistful, Few Dollars More.

I look forward to your chronology of the Carry On dodecahedrilogy, including an explanation of why the characters keep changing jobs and travelling in time.

JamesC

I thought it was absolutely mind blowing. I've grown up as a Mad Max fan so went into the cinema with an equal mix of excitement and trepidation. It was awesome though, and I saw things I'd never seen before.
The whole thing just looks so fantastic that, even while watching it, I was wishing they'd made a set of trading cards or something. I've just bought the art book off Amazon.

radiator

It's on track for a decent opening weekend, but I would hope that it's going to continue to do well as people that really connected with it are going to want to go and see it again (myself included). Such fantastic work deserves to be rewarded.

Third Estate Ned

I watched this last night and immediately after was in two minds. I think I was still reeling from the all out audio-visual assault. I'd definitely like to see it again, maybe in a different venue. I'm not sure if this is possible or if it's just me but during tracking shots it seemed like the cinema projector wasn't able to keep up with the sweep of the camera, causing a kind of juddering effect. This is obviously not a fault of the film, that's why I'd like to watch it again.

I loved the organic weirdness that underpins the whole aesthetic, in that it didn't seem tacked on for the sake of it but a genuine by-product grown out of the world the characters find themselves in. It had a reason for being like that, either because the characters wanted it to look like that to satisfy their own religious/personal whims or there was some practical reason. I especially liked the brothers of the main villain (I think they were - I didn't watch it in English) like [spoiler]the bloke in the suit with elephantiasis and metal nose rubbing his pierced nipples and the trigger-happy guy with bullets like a judge's wig[/spoiler]. I also love that it reminded me of other great sci-fi worlds like Dune (the movie) and Cholly & Flytrap but stayed true to the look of the previous Mad Maxes.

I can't decide what niggled me about it. I think it was a case of comparing it too much to films that came out in another time with much lower budgets, so this new one's added sheen and new actor took some getting used to. Anyway, to rewatch.

I can't believe Nicholas Hoult is the boy from About a Boy after seeing this and Young Ones (a post-apocalyptic/western film worth a look).

Dark Jimbo

But then again it was destroyed in Road Warrior too so continuity, rightly, doesn't matter a jot.

I don't know about Fury Road yet, but Road Warrior and Thuderdome were both stories recounted by a narrator after the fact: the time they crossed paths with the Road Warrior, the semi-legendary figure of the Outback. So it's all open to unreliable narrator syndrome. Max's car would have become part of his legend so it might be added to his stories even when it wasn't involved.
@jamesfeistdraws

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 May, 2015, 11:10:26 AM

I don't know about Fury Road yet, but Road Warrior and Thuderdome were both stories recounted by a narrator after the fact: the time they crossed paths with the Road Warrior, the semi-legendary figure of the Outback. So it's all open to unreliable narrator syndrome. Max's car would have become part of his legend so it might be added to his stories even when it wasn't involved.

It's a while since I saw 2 (I do seem to recall the car being destroyed though) but I did rewatch Thunderdome the other night and got a bit confused. He starts that film riding a camel-drawn wagon, then when be gets to Bartertown they somehow have his car there and are trying to bully him into disabling the booby traps on it.

I guess the implication is that the car was stolen off-camera before the start of Thunderdome (hence the wagon) but it does throw another spanner in the continuity works. Incidentally the upcoming videogame begins with the car being destroyed and revolves around Max building a new one.

It's too cool and iconic a movie car not to use I guess (and destroy repeatedly).

blackmocco

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 17 May, 2015, 12:31:55 PM

It's a while since I saw 2 (I do seem to recall the car being destroyed though) but I did rewatch Thunderdome the other night and got a bit confused. He starts that film riding a camel-drawn wagon, then when be gets to Bartertown they somehow have his car there and are trying to bully him into disabling the booby traps on it.

I guess the implication is that the car was stolen off-camera before the start of Thunderdome (hence the wagon) but it does throw another spanner in the continuity works. Incidentally the upcoming videogame begins with the car being destroyed and revolves around Max building a new one.

It's too cool and iconic a movie car not to use I guess (and destroy repeatedly).

Keef, it's the same car that was being towed by the camels at the start. On his way to Aunty's eyrie, Max spots his camels for sale too.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

blackmocco

The only pisser with that is Max himself narrates Fury Road. Of course, he IS mad. Maybe he's not telling the story correctly eitber!

www.BLACKMOCCO.com