Main Menu

Anime - recommendations

Started by LARF, 25 August, 2005, 01:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bico

I should point out that it isn't some 'out there' animation with mad asides or girls' clothes dropping off every five minutes - it really is nothing more than a light-hearted drama about teenagers in a band.  So much so, in fact, you'll wonder why they bothered going to the effort of animating it at all, and didn't just do it as a live-action show.  It's full of indie-rock references, too, so if you don't know your onions there, a lot of the in-jokes might slip past.

Byron Virgo

Porco Rosso is studio Ghiblhi, but it's not actually Miyazaki. The next one coming out is his last too (WHY???). The purest Miyazaki film in my mind has to be My Neighbour Totoro - everything you want to understand about his worldview and characters can be gleaned in that one film, and to my mind it's the best children's/all ages film ever made bar none. Watch it in the cinema if you ever get the chance.

I'm currently working my way through Last Exile, which is fun in that same sort of 'steam-punk' way as Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky was. They certainly like their world building in Japanese fiction.

Samurai 7 was good, though it owed the obvious debt to Kurosawa, they worked quite hard to move beyond that, even if it did go a little topsy-turvey towards the end, it was good fun.

However, best animated series I have ever seen has to be, without a shadow of a doubt, Samurai Champloo. I knew I was going to love it when the title kicks in and they're using Fat Joe on the soundtrack. Then within five minutes one of the characters is breaking someone's fingers, and causing bloody mayhem with swords and chopsticks in a tea house. The show itself is very modern, full of jump-cuts that try and echo the scratching of record decks, as we reverse in time from the modern day to Edo period Japan. But don't take my word for it - just watch the bloody show. It's great!

Jared Katooie

Ghost in the shell: Stand-alone complex is quite good.

If you just ask for GITS: SAC they'll know what you mean...

The Amstor Computer

Mm, I'd second that. It has its duff episodes but it's generally a very enjoyable series, with a nice mix of individual stories and an ongoing investigation.

I'd add Kiki's Delivery Service to the growing list of recommended titles. It may not be Miyazaki's finest, but it's a wonderful, sweet little tale.

VampiraJen

ghost in the shell (the movie) is my favorite by far.  even though it's now 10 years old, i think the animation is still super-duper.  and the story is terrific.  i'm waiting for the box set of the series before getting it.

for tv series:  neon genisis evangelion.  i've just discovered this and am following the series with the release of each of the dvd's.  f'ing awsome!

VampiraJen

how could i forget Big O? (it's not what the title suggests)  it's one hell of a kick arse anime that is as famous as some of the others mentioned, but it's one  of my fav's.  it's one of those giant robot things, but that's really only the surface of it.  it got a lot of philosophy in there too, kind of in a GITS kind of way, but different.  it was showing on toonami a while back about 10pm, don't know if it still is, but if it is, it's worth checking out.

VampiraJen

...that is as famous...

that should read: isn't

Steamboy

another one not mentioned here, Giant Robo really cool retro super hero type action and giant robots you cant go wrong(except I've never managed to catch the last part).
If you want something without all the blood and death GTO(Great Teacher Onizuka) has got to be one of the funniest anime's I've ever had the pleasure of watching, Its about an ex bike ganger and Virgin who decides to become a secondary school teacher so he can pick up the girlies but they mae him a Junior HIgh School teacher instead, not as seedy as it sounds and actually very meaningfull.
From the producers of Blood there is also another short one out called Kai-doh-maru which has got to be one of the most visually stunning pieces of animation I've ever seen, its a Samurai story and it starts in a really washed out grey scale colour and as the story progresses gradually builds more colour up finishing in rich old style japanese watercolours absolutly stunning.

CU Steamboy

Floyd-the-k

Giant Robo rocks
As does everything Miyazaki has ever done
Ranma 1/2 is very good, especially subtitled and episodes 1 to 15
 Byron is right about Tottoro

The Monarch

Both already mentioned but i still got to say both Cowboy bebop (in perticular the episodes Ballard of fallen angels and the final two parter some very powerful stuff) and Big O with all its biblical references which i totally missed until a friend pointed them out to me.

Aaron Smurf Murphy

Ninja Scroll 10th edition is really well done remastering wise and the added Japanese soundtrack helps. The footage put back doesn't exactly improve the storyline though. The TV series was a bit... Well, your money, not mine.

Cowboy Bebop is basically Pulp Fiction on Mars and is very clasily made. Both versions of Appleseed are worth checking out too.

Finally, not a studio Ghibli film but directed by Miyazaki: The Castle Of Cagliostro. This is a Lupin III movie, the character is basically a master thief and lounge lizard.

mondocoyote

just took up Carnivore's recommendation and watched the whole Paronoia Agent series.  Its really good. now I too can recommend it.

Paronoia Agent- Highly recommended.