Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

I believe I am a wee bit younger than SBT, so saw none of the original three in the cinema: 'Dawn' was the first one I saw, and for a long time I would have called it one of my favourite films ever. The length didn't put me off... to be honest, I would happily have had another hour of it. That said, 70s US horror is one of my favourite genres of cinema, particularly low budget stuff like Messiah of Evil, Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things and Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural, so the 70s-ness of the whole affair only makes it more endearing to me. But... as the years have rolled by, I find that I revisit 'Dawn' more rarely and yet come back again and again to 'Day', which simply seems more resilient to repeated viewing. It's tighter, nastier and has more Joe Pilato. (He's in 'Dawn', of course, but as a bit-part.)

Buddy

Source code.

Very, very good.

COMMANDO FORCES

Battle for Los Angeles: For an action packed film it was yawn inducing!

Many things made me laugh, including the Chinooks that were quiet enough to have a chat in, the squad being bunched up in the alley, etc...

Best bit was near the end when they advance on the enemy and the Staff Sgt is firing his side arm and in the next shot we see him ditch is rifle and bring the side arm into the aim  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keef Monkey

All this Romero talk has got me wanting to watch them all again! My girlfriend has only seen Survival, so maybe I'll subject her to them.

Day has always been me and my brother's favorite too, Dawn is great but you just can't beat how massively bleak Day is. You really feel like you're watching the last humans on earth, and the fact that all is pretty much lost from the get-go makes for a really dark film.

I do hope that Diary and Survival go on to gain respect, as my immediate reaction to Diary was disappointment but watching it recently it's already grown on me in a big way. It's got a nice balance of humor and darkness, and I like how in the last act they more or less [spoiler]wind up making the movie they were shooting at the start but for real[/spoiler], gives me a chuckle. Survival I liked straight away, CG aside.

Tiplodocus

TAMARA DREWE - Quite enjoyed it actually. Gemma is loveliness on a stick and there are some good gags and, though everything ends up as you'd expect, it takes a few twists and turns on the way to the end that lift it above your average rom-com.  In fact, quite refreshing that there is lots of [spoiler]"Well, sod that, I'll just sleep with this person instead."[/spoiler]  And note how Tamsin Greig has moved from quirky girlfirend to quirky mother character.

I really do struggle to see where the love for LAND and DIARY OF THE DEAD come from. Both pretty much pointless exercises that I didn't think added anything worthwhile to zombie moviedom.  And both with some utterly appalling writing and dialogue. But yeah, DAY is great and you've convinced me to rewatch (though if I recall, it was a bit suss that everyone was a crackshot taking out zombie brains from 200 yards with pistols while on the run).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 April, 2011, 12:25:58 PM
TAMARA DREWE -

Wow, didn't know this existed, and I really enjoyed the comic graphic novel book.  Posey Simmonds is a massively underrated comics creator.   I also make a point of following the careers of the Black Books alumni, so that's two reasons for giving this a look...

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 April, 2011, 09:18:34 AM
All this Romero talk has got me wanting to watch them all again! My girlfriend has only seen Survival, so maybe I'll subject her to them.

Oh, good god! That's an emmergency situation right there - please, please show the poor girl some *proper* Romero. Survival was not his finest hour...

mygrimmbrother

Wake Wood - disappointing after all the glowing write-ups I read. Was hoping for a genuinely creepy low-budget indie horror but I didn't get one. Plus the old theme of a couple grieving for a lost child in these sort of films is just too tired now.

Somewhere - I've adored Sofia Coppola's efforts so far - including Marie Antoinette - and this was... ok. Just sort of washes over you (even more so than her previous films), but I wouldn't say I adored it. But never mind.

Spawn - saw it last night for the first time in about 13 years - man it hasn't aged well! It had it's moments though. I still think Leguizamo made a good clown, and I'd completely forgotten that Merlin from Excalibur was in it. All in all, a bit poo, but I'd still like to see a really visually dark & moody Spawn movie, a la the Ashley Wood Hellspawn comics.

Buddy

I think McFarlane is/was working on a follow up film... but it never seemed to materialise.

El Chivo

Probably reckon all this 'Dead' stuff needs it's own thread, but out of curiousity, what is the 'new'(ish) version of 'Day Of The Dead' like? Mite go pick it up it's pretty cheap

Cheers

CHi

mygrimmbrother

Incredibly bad. Utterly shite. Please don't put yourself through it Chi.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 04 April, 2011, 04:38:12 PM

Seconded, it was on telly a while ago and I lasted about 20 minutes. It's ridiculously bad, and bears no resemblance whatsoever to the original.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 April, 2011, 05:00:11 PM
Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 04 April, 2011, 04:38:12 PM

Seconded, it was on telly a while ago and I lasted about 20 minutes. It's ridiculously bad, and bears no resemblance whatsoever to the original.

Don't even consider it. The closest link is that some of the characters have similar names and the climax takes place in an underground bunker. Other than that it has running, jumping, wall-crawling super-zombies, and is a whole bucketful of shit.

SBT

Tiplodocus

And if I recall, the good looking characters don't even take their tops off.

TIME BANDITS - not seen this for ages.  A bit slow by today's standards, and given it's episodic nature it is very hit and miss but David Warner is just class throughout and overall it gets a big thumbs up.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

El Chivo

Duly warned!!

Cheers guys

Chi