Main Menu

Brett Ewins hospitalised by police

Started by CraveNoir, 17 January, 2012, 05:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

ming

Yeah, this was pretty dreadful news... Glad to hear that Brett has some close support now, and hopefully some positive action will soon get him on the road to recovery.

Maybe we should start a thread for people wanting to convey messages of support or of a general "Brett I love your work, keep your chin up" nature?  I'm sure Wake could be persuaded to pass these along (or I can probably arrange it).

Steven Denton

Sad news, Brett is a colossus of British comics and as such has positively affected more lives than most people ever get too. Glad to hear he is in good hands. I think some kind of message board get well soon card could be in order?

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

judda fett

Just read this. A get wellsoon Brett card would be nice aye.

vzzbux

Sad news indeed. His influence streaches as far as me having a Brett Ewins tattoo of Anderson on my arm.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

ICONIC_TM

"A Colossus Of British Comics"  Steven Denton

"Brett I love your work, keep your chin up" Ming

Couldn't Say It Better myself.

John Caliber

Very sorry to hear about Mr Ewins. I've been a very high-stress situation while suffering mental deterioration, and avoided by the tiniest fraction - doing something that would have seen me now serving my fifth year behind bars - or running in circles in a padded cell.

I've always wondered... and wondered how other boarders who suffer mental illness might react too...

If it suddenly became possible to eradicate every molecule of mental disturbance from your mind, to make you entirely at peace and level-headed .... BUT it would mean also removing your imagination, any creative ability you might possess, and all ability to think outside the box ... what would be your decision?
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

The Legendary Shark

My decision would be no. Emphatically no.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Gonk

Quote from: John Caliber on 20 January, 2012, 12:16:53 PM
Very sorry to hear about Mr Ewins.

I've always wondered... and wondered how other boarders who suffer mental illness might react too...

If it suddenly became possible to eradicate every molecule of mental disturbance from your mind, to make you entirely at peace and level-headed .... BUT it would mean also removing your imagination, any creative ability you might possess, and all ability to think outside the box ... what would be your decision?

To become a Tax Collector or Town Planner? Maybe join the Conservative Party.
coming at a cinema near you soon

TordelBack

Quote from: John Caliber on 20 January, 2012, 12:16:53 PM

It's a hell of a good question. 

I've often said that I consider mental states outside the central distribution of the bell curve an essential part of humanity and indeed critical to the species' success, and shouldn't be treated as some kind of an aberration.  I'd include the whole range of outliers in that statement - autism, depression, schizophrenia, and so on.  That said, there's a definite point when the degree makes it a hugely undesirable state where it's no longer possible to function as you might wish, as I'm sure most of us have, like Brett, discovered to our cost.  But to eliminate it entirely?  I don't know, maybe that would be worth it, maybe not.  Ask me again tomorrow.

Steve Green

Update from Rufus...

"UPDATE on Brett Ewins. He's briefly regained consciousness, and was able to communicate with his brother.
PLEASE don't call the family at this time. They have a huge amount on their plate. I've passed along all the prayers, and well wishes to Brett and his family.
Thanks everyone. xxxx"

Ancient Otter

Bat King

John and TordelBack make good points in general re mental health.

O Lucky Stevie & Steve Green - cheers for the updates.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 January, 2012, 02:43:36 PM
I've often said that I consider mental states outside the central distribution of the bell curve an essential part of humanity and indeed critical to the species' success, and shouldn't be treated as some kind of an aberration.  I'd include the whole range of outliers in that statement - autism, depression, schizophrenia, and so on.  That said, there's a definite point when the degree makes it a hugely undesirable state where it's no longer possible to function as you might wish, as I'm sure most of us have, like Brett, discovered to our cost.  But to eliminate it entirely?  I don't know, maybe that would be worth it, maybe not.  Ask me again tomorrow.

All of which makes the current highly subjective diagnosis of mental disorders/states all the more depressing, dehumanising and a pretext to prescribe the 'new' pill. The diagnostic goal posts keep changing for a lot of these 'tests', a few years ago it was all about seratonin now it's sleep disorders. I believe the causation of many variant mental conditions on the psychiatric spectra can be different for each person- just because some have a correlation of symptoms doesn't mean the treatment's the same or if treatment is necessary. I also believe all of our personalities are a totalistic amalgam of what some consider 'aberrant' traits working to try and create some kind of holding pattern most of the time, some traits adaptive, some not. The degree to which that works can be better for some than others or if their behaviour is accepted; 'modern' living doesn't always help.