Main Menu

Thought Bubble 2019

Started by Hawkmumbler, 17 December, 2018, 09:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Quote from: Frank on 10 November, 2019, 03:06:47 PM

https://www.planetreplicas.com/

Just got back home.

The journey up was pretty bad, with 3/4 of the London/Leeds trains cancelled and everyone piled in on the 4th.

I was standing all the way to Leeds, also with a fair bit of luggage, so even less nimble than unladen Steve.

Harrogate seemed very quiet for a Friday night, got booked into my hotel at the Yorkshire.

Room was pretty tiny, worse the bed was sandwiched between two walls.

Met up with Steve Sterlacchini, to drop off bits for the set up for the Joe and his Killer Robot table.

Steve had gone with a bespoke behemoth with a display stand for various bits and bobs that Dan (Planet Replicas) had printed from my 3D models...

Dan turned up from Brighton after about a 7-8 hours drive, so none of us were up to going out for a drink really.

After hardly sleeping because of said pokey bed, had an early start setting up/helping Dan take stuff from the car park at the Crowne Plaza to set up the PR stand.

Redshirts were fantastic as usual - we wondered how it would play out with the bad weather and relocation, but it seemed more consistently busy than the Royal Armouries where you definitely saw waves of business as punters wandered off to panels.

Harrogate itself was lovely, I thought the halls themselves were a bit stark in a similar way ExCel can be, and I do miss the cosiness of the RA.

There was a lot of the convention centre which didn't seem to be in use, I didn't get the chance to go to the panels.

Main downside (apart from not having power for a good of chunk of Saturday) were the PA announcements were pretty unclear above the general noise.

It was also a tight squeeze for us, as we only had one table with Mick signing/sketching,  and a few of us overspilling/helping out Dan, but also he had stock as well behind/under the table + associated bags/coats etc.

Anyway, we had a great time, and Mick and Chris are always lovely to chat to, as well as John W next door.

As usual when you're on a table you don't get much chance to wander/chat but did have a nice natter with Glyn Dillon in particular.

It certainly seemed like the show was a success from the footfall alone, particularly with it being a major move and terrible weather a day or two before.

Proudhuff

Cheers Steve, it does seem to be the better Con overall...
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Another good Thought Bubble - luckily, my trains weren't affected by the floodwaters, and I reached my hotel* in good time to meet Bolt-01 (plus minibolt), Jim Campbell, Conor & Lizzie Boyle and Si Spurrier for a few pints.

The new venue is good - nice to have everything in one site and with enough space to move around (though people who think a giant inflatable dinosaur costume is a good idea at a con need a good talking to!). It's true though that the halls can feel a little charmless as they're like aircraft hangers, and the party space is decidedly weird.

Caught up with Tiplodocus, Pete Wells, Rob Stewart and Fillipo, added 5 new autographs to my big book of droids (including the mighty Dave Gibbons), attended a couple of panels and bought some stuff...

... but the best thing I picked up was my signed script from John Wagner:

Favourite cosplayer:

* Which was apparently the one that Agatha Christie eventually turned up at after er disappearance - although the elderly couple in the lift who told me this looked blank when I mentioned the giants wasps ...

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 November, 2019, 09:48:38 PM
... but the best thing I picked up was my signed script from John Wagner:

https://i.imgur.com/heKRWz6.jpg

Slow Crime Day* is my favourite Dredd one-off.  You really won the lottery there, bud - congratulations!

* https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=42482.msg993916#msg993916

Jim_Campbell

Another good Thought Bubble - luckily, my trains weren't affected by the floodwaters, and I reached my hotel* in good time to meet Bolt-01 (plus minibolt), Jim Campbell, Conor & Lizzie Boyle and Si Spurrier for a few pints.

Great to meet you again after a few years! Have you got the preceding two Porcelain books...? I may be able to help out if not...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 November, 2019, 11:23:27 PM

Great to meet you again after a few years! Have you got the preceding two Porcelain books...? I may be able to help out if not...

Ha, didn't know that was (yet another) one of yours.

I do - as I mentioned to the Chris Wildgoose, I think of it as my "thought bubble book" 'cos I would never have bought it if not for the free sample comics they were giving out at TB when the first one came out several years ago - it was an expensive marketing gamble on their part, but it paid off and the book sold well - it was enough to get me hooked!

Proudhuff

Just a question, now without Photobucket etc how do you stick photos up here?

sorry,
Luddite.
DDT did a job on me

MacabreMagpie

I use imgur.com

After uploaded, go to the share options and select BBCODE for forums with the [ IMG ] tags and copy of paste that link into a post.

MacabreMagpie

Here's the official coverage of the comps from the weekend.

Being sat next to the 2000AD stand, it was fun to see all the hopefuls queuing up on the Saturday - lots of terrified faces prior to putting their work under the nose of TMO!

https://2000ad.com/post/6172

Dr Feeley Good

Here are my pickups from Thoughtbubble on Sunday, a great day and I was very happy with what I got...

Bolt-01

Just like to point out that four of the nine finalists either are or have in the past worked for FQP.

Massive congrats to Liam and Robin for winning this year and it is worth mentioning that I was surprised to see how many of the entries (that I saw) were lettered.

Think it was a strong year for artists, but I heard a few grumbles relating to the format of the process.

Tiplodocus

The first come first served format of the writing Pitch Fest is good in that it allows people who wouldn't otherwise get the chance to pitch their story.

But unfortunately, because there's no filtering process, it also means you get virtual reality prisons (two), "OMG! I'm a character in a video game!" and tales without protaganists.

The winner was great though - well deserved.

I dunno what you could do to keep the opportunity there for first timers because I think that's really important. Maybe some really obvious DOs and DON'Ts  listed on the website.

They could possibly have squeezed in more pitches if, instead of all the judges commenting on every story, they just took turns and only one judge commented on each pitch.

They should also ask if your story involves sperm, and if it does, you get straight to the front of the queue. ;o)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

flip-r mk2

Tiplodocus's haul from Thought Bubble.
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Tiplodocus

Thought* I'd try get stuff without guns and capes on the cover. And Tom Foster kindly customised my Chromebook. And he seems like a lovely fella too.

* Thought. Do you see what I did there?

Thanks Flip-R for posting.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin YNWA

Grendel Devil's Quest - nice pick up.