Main Menu

Amazon alexa

Started by moly, 16 July, 2017, 10:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Thinking of getting the Amazon alexa, does anyone here have one and could you confirm if it's worth getting and do you use it often after having had for some time or is it like the donut maker that you use for a bit a then gets left in the cupboard

Cheers

DrRocka

I've got one, picked it up for £40 from Argos last year. I use it every day, usually to just play music from Spotify. It's much more responsive than Siri, in that it generally gets what you're asking it to do. I've no doubt that it's useful for turning your lights on and off etc, but I usually get back home, pop my hat and coat on the rack and say words to the effect of "Alexa, play the album Magic by Bruce Springsteen" and she handily obliges. Very nice of her, I say.
Never ever bloody anything ever

TordelBack

Tell me more about this donut maker.

JLC

I have the echo dot & use it frequently for music, to do lists, news updates, setting timers/alarms & I have a couple smart plugs which gives me voice activated lamps etc.

moly

Cheers  drrocka and Jlc, will have to get one next time there on sale

CalHab

I remain sceptical of the merits of placing internet connected microphones all over my house. No doubt they'll be ubiquitous soon anyway.

Zarjazzer

Have you ordered it to destroy humankind yet?  :-\
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

moly

Going to wait until they have a sale then will plug skynet I mean alexa in

Zarjazzer

Quote from: moly on 16 July, 2017, 01:13:56 PM
Going to wait until they have a sale then will plug skynet I mean alexa in

:lol:
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Something Fishy

I've only had mine for a short while.  Using it for controlling smart bulbs and switches and using it tons for music, audio books (audible) and as an alarm (got a dot for that and loving not having a clock next to my bed making me constantly aware of how long I have left to try to sleep).

IndigoPrime

The Echo's fairly good, and was a bargain during Prime week (less so now). It works as a Bluetooth speaker if you're not embedded in the Amazon ecosystem. The Dot's basically the same, but you have to add your own speaker.

JLC

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 July, 2017, 02:58:12 PM
The Echo's fairly good, and was a bargain during Prime week (less so now). It works as a Bluetooth speaker if you're not embedded in the Amazon ecosystem. The Dot's basically the same, but you have to add your own speaker.
Yep the OP missed out on the Prime deal! (I bought a couple as xmas presents). I have the Dot as I have a Sonos. There will be full Sonos integration sometime this year.

Old Tankie

Got one, it's very good.

moly

Took the plunge and brought one, very happy anyone got any pants on good skills to enable

JLC

Buy some Smart Plugs, I've got the TP-Link ones. Then you can plug devices into them (lamps, TV etc) & turn them on/off by vocal command!