Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Aye Space 1999 is a gem that really stands up to scrutiny all these years later.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 October, 2019, 05:53:34 PM
Aye Space 1999 is a gem that really stands up to scrutiny all these years later.

I assume you mean its entertainment value holds up to scrutiny because its premise never did.
You may quote me on that.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 October, 2019, 05:52:01 PM
Space 1999 ... is there a Sci-fi telly show . with as good a music? .

Agreed .. those strings going into the explosive theme tune were amazing - although I used to listen with my eyes closed because I didn't like that spoilerific 'this week' montage

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 October, 2019, 12:58:51 PM

...I used to listen with my eyes closed because I didn't like that spoilerific 'this week' montage.

Heh, me too!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 13 October, 2019, 02:43:28 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 October, 2019, 12:58:51 PM

...I used to listen with my eyes closed because I didn't like that spoilerific 'this week' montage.

Heh, me too!

I've never seen Space 1999 but that did remind me of how Battlestar episodes used to start, with a fast cut montage of everything that's about to happen in the episode. I used to cover my eyes there!

The Legendary Shark

I used to imagine that this moment might coincide with a Day of the Triffids type blinding flash in the sky - so that only Sci-Fi fans survived :D

I was a weird kid.

Yeah. I know. The weird never went away.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Currently about halfway through S1 of the complete box set of Stargate: SG-1.

As I remembered it is, for the most part, tremendous fun. Its efforts to prove it's not sexist due to the inclusion of Samantha Carter are oddly really quite sexist on a regular basis, which makes some of the episodes quite a lot less fun than they might have been, and it seems strange now to think of a science fiction series stretching its budget over twenty-two forty minute episodes when almost no one attempts even half that nowadays...

But, for all that, really not a bad way to kill forty minutes every other night or so at the end of the evening. A shame that the franchise fizzled out so ignominiously with the dull and murky "Universe" but it's nice to go back the bright and sparky beginning.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

I picked up SPACE1999 season 1 on blu-ray a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. Some cracking episodes, some very dark with an amazing roster of British thesis guest starring. None of the science makes much sense but who cares. Still too feart to look out Season 2 though.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Coinkadinktly I watched my first episode of Space 1999 in about 40 years on the Horror channel last night. It was good, if horrendously slow, but I had appatently completely forgotten what a big part of my life it once was - for example, I'd forgotten that my Lego spaceships were almost always flown by Commander Koenig and Alan Carter and much of my building effort went into reproducing the Eagle aesthetic and functionality. Hard to beat the look of that tech, really.

Hawkmumbler

Fist of the North Star has been on circulation for the last few days. Hey, it's that time of year, it's cold and I don't wanna go out at night so i'm binging some good old fashioned anime schlock.

Professor Bear

The English language version of Hokuto is better than the Japanese version.  Fight me.

JamesC

I've been watching lots of Quantum Leap which is currently being repeated on Forces TV (which I stumbled upon by accident. I'd never heard of Forces TV).
I'm really enjoying it - it's really fun, good natured and easy to watch. Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell are both just as likeable as I remember.

Hawkmumbler

Wait till you get to the Magnum PI episode...

Dandontdare

Sadly, that never got made, which is a damn shame.

Link Prime

I ploughed through Season 1 of Castle Rock over the past fortnight.

Initial impressions weren't too positive, but it really took off in the last few episodes (7 and 9 were particularly excellent).
Then we got to the final 30 minutes of the last episode and JJ (and I'm arbitrarily blaming JJ here) pulled a JJ and it turns out the penultimate (and best) episode was [spoiler]seemingly all a lie[/spoiler].
I can't do this anymore, JJ. I just can't.