Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

It seems an unimaginably pessimistic and sensationalist view of the future, and a few years ago I would have laughed at you oh person with Bartolomew as an avatar, but today I wouldn't be at all surprised if you're right. 

I would hope that the deeply-unlikely decision to remain wouldn't result in violence in NI, if only because it's the option with the best guarantees for preserving the Union: there is zero incentive for anyone for a united Ireland with the UK staying in the EU, so no threat to extreme unionists, and the GFA suits everyone else fine.  But there's plenty of nutters to prove me wrong.

And all of this, ALL of it, because of relentless tide of lies, repeated and amplified and repeated again. I don't deny there are actual problems with the EU and its future that need addressing, but I don't accept that any but a minority of Leave voters had any awareness or interest in those: instead it was made-up crap and intentionally-stoked fear that carried the day.

IndigoPrime

If we don't leave the EU, there will be some unrest. I doubt it'd be heavily widespread, and it certainly wouldn't be rampaging gangs of ex-army. If we do leave the EU... there will be some unrest also, not least when people find their jobs disappearing, costs sky-rocketing, and recognise they were sold a pup.

Our choice now is which of these is the best options. Frankly, again deciding to take a terrible deal on the basis some arseholes might riot doesn't strike me as the smart way to define a country's future for an entire generation.

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 November, 2018, 11:41:30 AMI would hope that the deeply-unlikely decision to remain wouldn't result in violence in NI,

Political violence has never really stopped in NI, it just doesn't get reported on the news.  I am kind of surprised the Republican stuff wasn't at least highlighted as a stick to beat Corbyn with, though - the BBC has long known how to compartmentalise Republican/Loyalist violence for reportage on the mainland news, and is still doing much the same thing with its reportage on Israel/Palestine

JamesC

According to the front of today's Telegraph, Boris Johnson has a Brexit plan.
So, problem solved, right?  :lol:

The Legendary Shark

Would that plan be something along the lines of waiting for everything to burst into flames and then rolling out his own line of fire extinguishers?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 November, 2018, 12:31:02 PMPolitical violence has never really stopped in NI, it just doesn't get reported on the news. 

You're right of course, and I know I have developed a bad habit of implying that all is rosy in the six counties these past 20 years, when I'm well aware that it's really not: what I mean is no increase in violence, or anything that'll push us to the greater excesses of the not-so-distant past.

Like all southerners what I'm really concerned about is anything that might disrupt the Christmas shopping expedition to Lisburn: once that goes off without a hitch, you can batter nine kinds of shite out of each other for as long as it takes.

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 November, 2018, 12:35:48 PM

Would that plan be something along the lines of waiting for everything to burst into flames and then rolling out his own line of fire extinguishers?

Don't worry, he knows a guy who's got some going  cheap...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46258584

sheridan

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 19 November, 2018, 11:23:35 AM
We've had one MP murdered, Jo Cox and you have to wonder at the safety implications for others if a new Referendum overturns the first result.
No we haven't - remember, the Brexit vote went through "without a single bullet being fired".

The Legendary Shark

They'd have got more by retrofitting them to spray pure hate and selling them to Israel.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Quote from: sheridan on 19 November, 2018, 01:10:03 PM
We've had one MP murdered, Jo Cox and you have to wonder at the safety implications for others if a new Referendum overturns the first result.
No we haven't - remember, the Brexit vote went through "without a single bullet being fired".

Once you stop and think about that particular choice of words and the context and timing in which he used them, it becomes clear what an evil little shitrag Farage actually is.

JayzusB.Christ

Lock her up... Lock her up. No? Anyone?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

CalHab

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 November, 2018, 01:46:47 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 19 November, 2018, 01:10:03 PM

Once you stop and think about that particular choice of words and the context and timing in which he used them, it becomes clear what an evil little shitrag Farage actually is.

Modified post. Apologies, I posted an article from The Independent that someone had tweeted, thinking it's new, but it's from May 2017:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-brexit-rifle-pick-up-uk-eu-withdrawal-ukip-leader-liberal-democrat-a7741331.html

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Professor Bear

Oh good all those Tory rebels will save us.  That's Brexit no longer a concern then.