Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rately

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 September, 2020, 02:55:38 PM
Jedward, who are sensible about the pandemic, have put Ian Brown in his place, who is not, on Twitter.  The former are two of my least respected musicians ever and the latter is one of my most, but I find myself very much fighting with Jedward Block.  20 fucking 20, eh. Who'd have it.

Christ.

If you'd ever told me i'd side with Jedward over Ian Brown, i'd have laughed in your face.

Need to go have a laydown.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Calm down lads, it's a Twitter argument, there are no winners.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

The genuine Rise of Jedward as twin voices of reason is fecking terrifying, but the ship of the world has hit the rocks, and we needs must cling to what wreckage will support us; in such circumstances, the thicker the planks the better

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Mister Pops on 14 September, 2020, 04:57:43 PM
Calm down lads, it's a Twitter argument, there are no winners.

No, but there is a right argument  and a wrong one, and the right one can save lives while the wrong one can end them.  And the singer and writer of some of the most amazing music I've ever heard is objectively and dangerously wrong, while the identical pair of spouters of the least substantial bilge the music scene has to offer are correct, to the point where I really hope they're having much more of an impact on the world than a living legend I've admired since I was a teenager.

So shut the spug up till this is over, Monkey King, except if it's to sing songs.  John and Edward (who live in the next village to me), kindly do the opposite.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Ah - anyone who uses the phrase "lamestream media" goes into the gibberish bucket - despite, yes, those cheek bones and that great music. There's a lot of it about, though - Chuck D recently hinted that he's bought into the "Covid was man-made" aspect of the current morass of conspiracy theories. (As in, made in a lab, as opposed to the argument that human encroachment on animal habitats is a factor in the species-leap of the virus.)

I've figured out the cure, though! (Not to Covid - just to bullshit conspiracy theories.) All you need to do is get the BBC to publish a story that links Bill Gates to 5G to Covid to every other conspiracy theory ever (including all of the ones in The Illuminatus! Trilogy) and everyone who believes them would immediately unbelieve them purely on the basis that the BBC reported it.

Simple.

(Then we could all worry about the real bullshit shenanigans being pulled by governments - like Cummings dismantling the civil service and replacing it with himself, or Putin slipping radioactive poison into his opposition's cuppa, or Trump working hard to dismantle what's left of the US democratic system and trying his best to spark a civil war.  Shit that's really happening.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Ian Brown banging on about conspiracy theories.  Morrissey a mouthpiece for the far right.  Johnny Rotten oozing round in a MAGA T-shirt.  Iggy's old car insurance ad would look like the cutting edge of the counterculture these days.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

The dumbest thing any celeb or creator could ever do is spout their inner monologue via social media.
It just confirms that the sad truth we already know - everyone is an asshole, to some degree.

Rately

On a lighter note, addled old Rately is seeing Garth Marenghi GIFs in use all over the place.

The worrying thing, is that I've mistaken Garth for William Friedkin every single time, and got too excited at the thought that I've stumbled across a Friedkin interview / soundbite that I've never seen before.

JayzusB.Christ

I loved Garth Marenghi's Darkplace- one of the most underrated comedies ever.  Also, all the cast seems to be hugely successful these days, except for Garth Marenghi.  Although I was surprised recently during a rewatch of the Office to note that he was the nerd IT guy that impresses Gareth with his bullshit stories.

Rately

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 September, 2020, 12:58:36 PM
I loved Garth Marenghi's Darkplace- one of the most underrated comedies ever.  Also, all the cast seems to be hugely successful these days, except for Garth Marenghi.  Although I was surprised recently during a rewatch of the Office to note that he was the nerd IT guy that impresses Gareth with his bullshit stories.

Fantastic show! The Bike chase scene might be one of the funniest things ever conceived.

Matthew Holness recently directed Possum, a psychological Horror movie that is on my watchlist, and got some great reviews.

JayzusB.Christ

Nice one! I'll keep an eye out.  Pretty sure that was the first time I'd encountered Matt Berry - Richard Ayoawaoyawade was in Nathan Barley before that, I think.  Also an amazing show; though I didn't really get it till a few years later when the hipster scene hit Dublin properly.

Rately

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 September, 2020, 02:41:10 PM
Nice one! I'll keep an eye out.  Pretty sure that was the first time I'd encountered Matt Berry - Richard Ayoawaoyawade was in Nathan Barley before that, I think.  Also an amazing show; though I didn't really get it till a few years later when the hipster scene hit Dublin properly.

Have Nathan Barley on the watchlist. I'm still wondering how i didn't watch it when it originally aired, as i love Chris Morris' work, and Charlie Brooker is another favourite of mine.

Matt Berry really stole every scene he had in Darkplace. Fantastic actor, and judging by his Twitter, a fantastic fella.

Proudhuff

Why can't anythread stay on topic here?
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Modern Panther

Right, stop this silliness and pay attention.

Scotland's covid contact tracing app has been downloaded 900,000+ times in the last few days.   If you're a person in Scotland and you own a phone, get it downloaded.  Not only will it help in preventing the spread of this dastardly virus, but everytime the app is downloaded Matt Hancock looks more incompetent.

Carry on.