Previous topic - Next topic

betel_uk

Proudhuff

will you have a cup of tea? go on...
DDT did a job on me

Aonghus

Quote from: Beeks on 20 March, 2012, 11:16:17 PM
Croeso..neis cwrdd a ti Aonghus  :)
Diolch ynfawr, Beeks! Dw i ddim siarad Cymraeg yn dda, ach is deas buaileadh leat :)

Go raibh maith agaibh/ thanks all for the warm, entirely not stereoptyped welcome!

TordelBack, I'm chuffed for your son! And it's never too late for yourself; a man who can make Sláine-based maths puns is a man who could conquer a language, given a decent teacher (though in my own experience, 'decent Irish teachers' is generally an okymoron...)

maryanddavid

QuoteAny other Gaeilgeóirí about the place

My two oldest go to a Gaelscoil, and the next is in the Naoinra, I do find myself, especialy over the last two years speaking more and more Irish during the day EVERY day.

It is amazing how you can slip back into speaking the language, My vocab would be poor, but the basic structure is there, and I suspect its there for most people, but when its of no use...

I do like the Bernard Dunne Brod Club, simple idea, dont learn it, use what you have. I have had a few extra 'Slan' at work the last couple of weeks.

Back on topic, I think one of the most underused ideas is the Tales from the Doghouse, especially Maeve the many Armed, that character had legs!

David

judgefloyd

Howdy Agonghus, welcome aboard.
  I'm a bit Irish, like almost everyone in Melbourne, but I'm also a bit Manx, so I'm learning Gaelg or Gaelck* and enjoying it.  If I get good enough, I'm told Irish people will understand me, which would be nice.

by vie lhiam goll gys Nerin one of these days.

lhiats,

Floyd

*hilariously there is a North South divide there

Aonghus

David, that's class! Speaking it to your kids will make a huge difference to you and them too, as I can attest with my own experience and parents (my dad was no Gaeilgeoir, but stuck it out and revived his school Irish like a trooper). The Bród Club is a cool concept; haven't seen it but I heard an interview with Bernard Dunne, and I like his approach. Though as he said, he has it easier as few people are going to give an ex-boxer the usual anti-Irish grief :P

Judgefloyd, thanks for the welcome! Yay for Manx too, I'm intruiged to see how that bit of language necromancy (in the best sense!) will work out for Man. And it's true, Manx is to Irish what Jamaican patwah is to the Queen's English (roughly) in terms of intelligibility; the written language is cool too, the spelling is hugely different from Irish, but if you read it phonetically suddenly you're basically speaking Ulster Irish! =D

Beeks

Quote from: Aonghus on 21 March, 2012, 12:52:05 PM
Quote from: Beeks on 20 March, 2012, 11:16:17 PM
Croeso..neis cwrdd a ti Aonghus  :)
Diolch ynfawr, Beeks! Dw i ddim siarad Cymraeg yn dda

Ardderchog Aonghus! Dda iawn!  :D
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens