Main Menu

Dredd busted.

Started by atp, 01 August, 2014, 03:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atp

I have just started what I hope will be a full size  head and shoulders Dredd bust. Not sure how long this will take, but will just keep going till it's done or my money runs out. So first a base lump of white sculpey that I had lying around was used to support the start of the jaw, which is super sculpey. Built this up over a couple of days, then a trial fit under Dredd's skid lid. The helmet is made from body filler over a pepakura base which I made out of thin plastic sheet instead of paper, never again, it's just too difficult to hold together. I ended up having to wire it together in the end.

The freedom of choice should be compulsory

IAMTHESYSTEM

This is a project and a half! Love the grimace very Greg Staples!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Dandontdare

Excellent, look forward to watching as this progresses. Lovely snarl there!

Fungus

Very realistic  :)
Good luck with the helmet, the part that looks so majestic in the comics but often looks a bit weird in, um, "real life".

8-Ball

That is looking fantastic. I can't wait to see the finished bust. Good luck. :D
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

COMMANDO FORCES

That's bloody excellent and the snarl showing the teeth reminds me of the way John Burns draws his mouth.

strangelysaucy

wow! love it! and a damned healthy sized chin it is too :D
props, scribbles and fiddle-aboutery - https://www.facebook.com/Strangelysaucy

atp

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. Probably unnecessary but I should say this is going to be the comic version of old stony face and not from the movie or a `realistic` look. The snarl was a feature that I wanted to add from the start, I also intend to add a few cuts and bruises as I'm looking to give him a hard bad ass bastard look, like he's just warmed up for a day's duty by beating the shit out of a couple perps to get the blood pumping.  So, got a bit more done to the helmet, mainly smoothing it out. I'm using mostly body filler for this and even in a well ventilated room/garage the fumes/smell even with a mask on plays on the lungs, so plenty of breaks needed just to keep breathing. I've also started to add more form to the face and bulk out the neck a bit. A trial fitting of the visor which is pteg formed over a bowling ball is enough to show me that I am going to go with a solid build painted visor so as to stay firmly with the comic book look of Dredd. I can always change back to the tinted transparent visor later if I change my mind. I like to trial paint as I go along so hopefully that will be done soon after a little more sculpting.

Link Prime

Impressive sculpt, atp.

shaolin_monkey

Wow, that's really coming along!  :o

Heath C Ackley

That's going to be great. Well done so far!
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Darren Stephens

Looking good so far. Look forward to the finished bust!  :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

atp

Re-worked the visor and got more sculpting done to his face. Started on his collar, which  I also managed to get some paint onto. I was hoping to start a trial paint of the face, but time ran out, will try to get that done over the next couple of days. I am using a hot air stripper to bake the sculpey as I go, takes a while and I have to keep the heat from getting to close or the sculpey blister's and burns, especially as it's fairly thin in some places.

atp

Finally managed to get a spot of paint work done. The colours are much to bright / vivid, but they are OK for this trial run. Once the bust is fully sculpted I shall airbrush on a neutral base coat and then air brush the skin tones. Not really sure from this trial whether I will stick to my original idea of the cuts and bruises yet. While I'm working on the bust I'll see if they fit with what I had in mind. I'm glad that I moved away from the tinted visor in favour of the sculpted one, which definitely fits in with the style of the bust better.

atp

Started on the upper torso of old stony face. For the uniform I'm using a smooth tea towel soaked in fibreglass resin, which is sculpted into folds held in place by pins until dry. Also managed to get a start on the left shoulder pad. Now seemed like a good time for a trial fitting of the badge as well.
Not too long until I can get a start on the eagle. If any of the judge costume owners that frequent this forum could help with some detail picks of said eagle that would be greatly appreciated.