Main Menu

Judge Death appearances

Started by repoman, 01 February, 2020, 07:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

repoman

I've mentioned my site on the forum and I don't want to bleat on about it but i do want it to be as complete as possible.

I was just looking on eBay and spotted two things I don't know about.

1.  The 2019 Subscriber-only Poster Prog.  Is this a new JD story, has it been reprinted?  I just bought it (on eBay) but it'll be a while before it arrives.

2.  Plagues of Necropolis.  This doesn't come up in the Wiki or JD mentions on Barney.  Is JD in it?  He's on the cover (again, just bought it).

While I'm here, am I missing anything on my bibliography?  http://judgedeath.co.uk/bibliography

I hope you don't think I'm trying to mention the site too much.  I'll limit it to here if I have queries. 

thanks!

Gary James

Do you have a list of pin-ups yet? There were several images on the backs of progs throughout the eighties that you should include, as well as indicating where stories were reprinted (which Barney ought to be able to help with). I don't have the lists to hand at the moment, but you should definitely look through the annuals to see what was included there as well.

If you want every appearance of Judge Death, I'm sure he also appeared in Eagle at some point*, and then there is PC Gamer, PC Zone, SFX, Empire, Total Film and the like, both for coverage of the Dredd vs. Death game and rampant speculation about a possible film appearance.

The first couple of pages always had reader feedback and news, and there were often photographs with comic strip art superimposed on the heads of people or various faces (famous or not) superimposed on art.

Leigh S

They appear in a weird poster prog with some kind of Emo/Metal band? McCrea artwork?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Leigh S on 01 February, 2020, 10:22:34 PM
They appear in a weird poster prog with some kind of Emo/Metal band? McCrea artwork?

The Placebo one?
@jamesfeistdraws

Gary James

This one.

Not that I approve of it being posted online in its entirety, but until someone decides to get it removed (hint) you can see what it contains.

Adding:
Comic World, Comics International, Wizard [US], Speakeasy, Metal Hammer (?), Death Ray (?), and more publications which I can't remember the name of. It'll be Wednesday at the earliest I can check some of that, though you shouldn't hold your breath.

If anyone has a full run of Deadline to hand, or has looked through it recently, did it cover 2000 AD at some point? It is precisely the kind of mag which would run a pic of Death rather than, say, Dredd or Anderson.

repoman

I wrote up the Placebo Poster Prog today on the site.

So far it is my least favourite Judge Death story.

Cheers for the responses, folks.

Richard

The recent poster prog is new.

I think Death is in one of the Plagues stories, but not the others. Those stories were so bad that I'm not willing to look at them again to make sure, sorry!

Funt Solo

Poster series from progs 555-558:

- There's a poster/teaser for My Name is Death in the festive Prog 2002.
- There's a Dark Justice teaser in the festive Prog 2013.
- There's a Mortis & Fire star scan in the festive Prog 2015.
- There's a poster (Great Moments in Thrill-Power: Judge Death Lives) in prog 1526
- Another poster (The History of Justice: Judge Death Lives) in prog 441
- Star Scan of Dredd & Death: prog 1025
- A "2000 I.D." of Judge Death in prog 701:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

repoman

thanks, guys.

Funt, that's great info.

I've got No Future on my Bibliography.

Richard, thanks for confirming!

I'm currently reading through Day of Chaos but am finding it a bit of a slog!

TordelBack

Heh, what was Cliff up to with the movement lines in that Prog 701 I.D. page? Death: less implacable, more wiggly.

I completely forgotten the 555 poster series - that Mortis is excellent, and I'm all about the non-green-skinned Death.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Some of the ones I mentioned earlier:

Mortis & Fire star scan in the festive Prog 2015:

Dark Justice teaser in the festive Prog 2013 (& reprinted in 1908, M354 & WS9):

I can't find a handy scan of the Judge Death Lives poster from prog 441, but I'm fairly sure this is it being re-purposed as a cover:

Oh wait, here it is from one of my other threads:

There's a couple of old Titan collection covers that spring to mind:

And, for total crazies, we can start looking for covers that contain tons of characters, one of which is Death:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

repoman

Great stuff.

That 83 annual contains a story that is in my bibliography.

Funt Solo

Also, you can play "Spot the Death" with Tharg's Future Worlds:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++