Main Menu

DUNE

Started by Tiplodocus, 20 November, 2015, 06:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I'm rereading this at the moment.

And because (take away my geek card) I think books are more valid when you make a cool film or tv show out of them, I'm wondering what to pick up.

I have a soft spot for the Lynch version despite its many flaws. Is there a good bluray with juicy extras and deleted scenes?

And what about the TV mini-series?

Plus how cool is it to say MUAD'DIB.

Go on, try it on for size.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Adventurer

I've always been a fan of the TV mini-Series over the movie for two reasons; it's significantly more accurate to the book, and William Hurt.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

ZenArcade

The mini series is more accurate (as far as it goes); the film is plotwise and in terms of accuracy a total failure. However some of the visuals from the film are memorable to say the least. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

IAMTHESYSTEM

I always remember the attack on Paul when he is first on Arrakis. That shot of the hunter seeker's shadow moving across Paul's bed like some sort of striking serpent is superb a perfect show don't tell moment. The voiceover still jars for me and the concept of the whole thing is bonkers but I do still watch it when it comes on the Horror channel.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Hawkmumbler

Lynch's Dune is flawed in extremes but I still find much to enjoy in it. Sure, it diverges from the novel a great deal but I always found the book to be a Tolkien level rambling mess anyway.

von Boom

Dune is my favourite book and reread the chronicles on a regular basis. I'm up to God Emperor at the moment.

As for the film v the mini-series I think it's a matter of taking what you can out of both of them.

Visually I think Lynch's Dune is more in keeping with the story, but as Zen says the mini-series is more accurate. However, both ultimately fail in living up to the book.

If you have the time I say watch both. If you are only going to watch one then I say Lynch's Dune or the extended version if you have it.

I, Cosh

Not sure any amount of textual accuracy is compensation for the widescreen cinematicality of the leaving Caladan sequence. And Sting's pants.
We never really die.

ZenArcade

It is a great film, deeply flawed but great. Z

Professor Bear

As someone who's never read any of the novels, I always thought it was a shame they didn't make more Dune adaptations on SyFy, but SyFy were probably afraid it might attract science fiction fans to the channel*.  I think the miniseries works better than the film as a story, but Lynch's sprawling, rambling, theatrical mess of a film is borderline hallucinogenic, and probably something you should watch at least once.  Mad to think that it was supposed to be a rival to Star Wars at the time, complete with shiploads of toys and merchandise.

* This probably reads like snark - and it is a bit - but channels live or die by how they can track their audience demographics in order to price and sell advertising space, and an audience like "science fiction fans" is considered small compared to pro wrestling or reality tv viewers.

ZenArcade

Don't know to Christ what you're doing to shark in that photo Bear, but the Harkonnens' would probably approve! Z :o :lol:

The Adventurer

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 21 November, 2015, 01:23:55 PM
As someone who's never read any of the novels, I always thought it was a shame they didn't make more Dune adaptations on SyFy, but SyFy were probably afraid it might attract science fiction fans to the channel*.

Well, they did do Children of Dune too

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Professor Bear

I'm sure you mean Dune: Apocalypse.

von Boom

Quote from: ZenArcade on 21 November, 2015, 01:36:10 PM
Don't know to Christ what you're doing to shark in that photo Bear, but the Harkonnens' would probably approve! Z :o :lol:

:lol:

Also if you're interested, Jodorwosky's Dune is on Netflix I believe. It shows what his film would have been like. It wouldn't have been Dune, but it looked mad and interesting.

ZenArcade

Missed this in QFT (Belfast). Still raging. Dune would be hard to translate properly on to the silver screen but I feel it is doable. Z
nb: as long as that talentless fucking pirate of a son of his and his sidekick hack pal Anderson don't get within a heighliner jump of it.

von Boom

Quote from: ZenArcade on 21 November, 2015, 03:29:49 PM
Missed this in QFT (Belfast). Still raging. Dune would be hard to translate properly on to the silver screen but I feel it is doable. Z
nb: as long as that talentless fucking pirate of a son of his and his sidekick hack pal Anderson don't get within a heighliner jump of it.

Spoken like one of the faithful!  :)